Announcement

Collapse

Glory Seed Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

These daily devotionals are brought to you by Gary Piper, a writer with our Sister Site, Natural Spirit Ministries. TheologyWeb encourages you to visit and support their site.... they have many informative articles which can be discussed right here. If you enjoy Gary Piper's devotionals, please send him an encouraging note or post. We are very appreciative of our partnership with Natural Spirit Ministries and look forward to many more co-ventures.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

There’s no need to challenge God…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There’s no need to challenge God…

pastcastslight.jpg

Glory Seed Devotional, 01/28/2015
    Glory Seed Devotionals, 2015: Year of Promise

“Then the devil took him to the holy city, Jerusalem, to the highest point of the Temple, and said, “If you are the Son of God, jump off! For the Scriptures say, ‘He will order his angels to protect you. And they will hold you up with their hands so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.’ ” Jesus responded, “The Scriptures also say, ‘You must not test the LORD your God.’”” (Matthew 4:5–7, NLT)

Wouldn’t it be great to visibly prove there is a God and once and for all illustrate what God’s promises he will fulfill? Wouldn’t it be great just to prove them to yourself, then maybe you could “pull out all stops” and serve him with all your might, mind, strength, and spirit? Isn’t that what the devil was putting to Jesus by asking him the “if” question?

Here’s something for you to think about (no it’s not an “if” question). Most bibles subtitle this time in Jesus’ life as “The temptations of Jesus” yet Jesus says in verse 7, “You must not test the LORD your God.” What prompted Jesus to refuse to accept his personal challenge from the devil? The answer of course is quite simple to put into words, but quite a challenge to put into practice, Jesus refused to challenge God because he didn’t need to, his faith in their relationship was all the proof he needed to sustain him in every situation. And a side note, in my unproven opinion the devil was aiming his sights at God in the first place Jesus was only a pawn in the devils game to undermine God.

None (to my knowledge) of us have stood with the devil atop the highest point on the temple in Jerusalem and challenged by the devil to throw ourselves down with the understanding that before we hit the ground God would cushion our sudden stop. But unseen to each of us (I am sure) the devil has challenged our faith perhaps not the way he did Jesus but in a way unique to each of us. And I suspect there have been times when our faith has faltered (I know mine has) and we’ve had to depend on our relationship with Jesus and the Holy Spirit’s ability to sustain us with Jesus’ faith (I know that’s been the case in my life) when ours weakens.

Sometimes the encouragement we need comes as we “look in the rearview mirror” at our past experiences in life and how our relationship with Jesus has sustained us. There times when the past doesn’t cast shadows instead it casts Light!

Anticipate! Experience! Believe! Be transformed!
    Grace and PEACE, Amen!
    Gary

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Glory Seed Devotionals: Encouraging Words of God’s Presence in our World!

Note: Should you want to go back and review this Glory Seed or if you’d like to subscribe so you can receive them in your email you can do so by clicking on this link: http://gloryseeds.wordpress.com/.

“Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.”

Amen Gary! Wonderful and once again timely words!
    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X