Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Social Justice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    To add to what pancreasman said above, the "of" that you hear in words like "should of" "could of" "would of" and in this case "not of", is not really an "of". The word that you think is "of" is actually the contraction for the word "have".

In more formal settings we might say something like "should have", "could have", "would have" and "not have", but when we're being conversational we often just contract the "have".

So how things like "should of" or "could of" should be spelled is "should've", "could've", "would've", "not've".

Its a very common spelling mistake, and Lord knows I have my own issues spelling , but its one of those things that once you're aware of it, it starts bugging you and you see it everywhere.
    grammar_nazis_by_iamnotepic123-d7jq171.jpg

Now when I stop mixing up similar sounding words and phrases, I'll try that. Deal?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• And since the new Star Wars movie is a little over a year away:

grammar_nazi2.jpg
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3764[/ATTACH]

Now when I stop mixing up similar sounding words and phrases, I'll try that. Deal?
        I consider myself more of a grammar Nazis sympathizer than a full-fledged grammar Nazi.

Comment

And since the new Star Wars movie is a little over a year away:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3765[/ATTACH]
          Much more my type of stormtrooper.

Comment

I consider myself more of a grammar Nazis sympathizer than a full-fledged grammar Nazi.
            Good, because you can't do much with Grammar Nazis, beyond this:

comforting-a-grammar-nazi.jpg
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Irony at its finest. Just see my signature (and the link) for examples of PM's 'arguments'.
              Let's compromise: neither of you can argue.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Much more my type of stormtrooper.
                Glad to hear, but I guess Grammar Nazi's are not all bad. They do save lives:

991.jpg

Grammar Nazis, keeping pets and family from being cooked, the world over.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Let's compromise: neither of you can argue.
                  And neither can you, Mr Coyote.

wile-e-coyote1.jpg

Your friend ,
                  Pixie
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And neither can you, Mr Coyote.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3768[/ATTACH]

Your friend ,
                    Pixie
                    Why do you think Sam spends so much time arguing with people like you? It's not like you're any less aggressive than I am. It's because he comes out looking really, really good.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Why do you think Sam spends so much time arguing with people like you? It's not like you're any less aggressive than I am. It's because he comes out looking really, really good.
                      My dear sweet DE,

The real reason is that most people find you far more intolerable and tend to avoid you. Tell yourself whatever you like though, that makes you feel better Mr Coyotte.

Wile-e-coyote-blown-up.jpg

Bless your little heart ,
                      Pixie
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

My dear sweet DE,

The real reason is that most people find you far more intolerable and tend to avoid you. Tell yourself whatever you like though, that makes you feel better Mr Coyotte.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3769[/ATTACH]

Bless your little heart ,
                        Pixie
                        Actually people who find me intolerable also find it impossible to avoid me because I get under their skin and they just have to reply. The fact that I routinely demolish their worldviews with a high level of skill makes responding to me practically mandatory.

Sam just has more self control and a better grasp of social dynamics than most, so he spends the bulk of his time going after weak prey like you.

Comment

Actually people who find me intolerable also find it impossible to avoid me because I get under their skin and they just have to reply. The fact that I routinely demolish their worldviews with a high level of skill makes responding to me practically mandatory.
                          If that makes you feel better there Mr coyotte, just repeat that to yourself over and over again.

Sam just has more self control and a better grasp of social dynamics than most, so he spends the bulk of his time going after weak prey like you.
                          7395256948_e355c85bc3.jpg

Bless your little confused heart ,
                          Pixie
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I attempted to respond to something like this in post #144.
                            Thanks. I'll now address that:

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            I think the main point in bringing up things like Jubilee and gleaning, though, is not that anyone necessarily wants to see these exact laws reinstated, its to point out that, yeah, there's a Biblical precedent for society taking care of those in need.
                            Nobody's objecting to taking care of those in need or a Christian obligation to give (is that not the spirit of the law?).

And I'm saying that it is not a Biblical precedent for humans deciding on their own to take what is one person's to give to another.

The rest of your post seems not relevant to what I'm saying.

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Unfortunately, one of your premises (that property and thus theft is defined like a libertarian would define it) is both unproven and highly unlikely considering that particular idea only arose much, much later.
                            Oh? From what I've seen, the normal idea of private property was acknowledged and discussed by philosophers at least as far back as Cicero and Aristotle and Plato. And they weren't inventing the idea but discussing it as already being a thing. I suppose that still leaves room for it to have arisen before then but still "much later" than Moses. I am curious what you think the old definition is and when you think the new definition arose.d

Comment

• Originally posted by Joel View Post
                              Oh? From what I've seen, the normal idea of private property was acknowledged and discussed by philosophers at least as far back as Cicero and Aristotle and Plato. And they weren't inventing the idea but discussing it as already being a thing. I suppose that still leaves room for it to have arisen before then but still "much later" than Moses. I am curious what you think the old definition is and when you think the new definition arose.d
                              I don't mean the idea of private property in general, but their specific meanings as used by libertarians. I believe private property is a real thing, but I doubt most libertarians would agree with my idea of private property (which is that property is yours if you can hold it), which is based on might makes right.

Comment

• My apologies in advance for responding to something in the thread even though I quick-scrolled through all the way from page 18 or so to here.

An error by Sam carried all the way through many pages of this thread. In the times that were covered in the Book of Judges, the closest thing to the state (as we know it today) that Israel had was kritarchy--rule by judges. The only "rule" in peacetime that Israel's judges exercised were to settle disputes. In wartime, of course they did become military leaders, but that is not relevant here.

Suppose someone was murdered but nobody but the murderer knew who was the murderer. Where is the "dispute" in that case? Well, how about between the victim's heirs and the murderer? Of course the murderer has to be first identified and caught, then . . .

I'm sorry, I am going to unsubscribe. Not too interested in Wile E. Coyote cartoons (kidding). Actually, the thread is moving too fast to keep up with.
                                Last edited by Truthseeker; 01-29-2015, 08:08 PM.
                                The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment