Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Samson's and Delilah's Interaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samson's and Delilah's Interaction

The story of Samson and Delilah makes no sense as history. As myth, the story makes sense as a form of entertainment for the people who told it and heard it. As history, though, it's dubious. That Delilah would expect Samson to be sympathetic to her clear desire for the Philistines to subdue him seems ludicrous. No woman would expect someone who she's already tried to trick into being captured, tortured, and killed to be understanding of her plight. "You've made a fool of me!" she cries after every failed attempt.

That sounds like myth to me. There's no way to relate to it as history because it's so alien to us that normal intelligent people, heroes especially, would act that way. It demeans the title to describe them as heroes or even especially faithful.

The point being that even the non-supernatural elements don't make sense in the Bible. The human interactions are baffling and don't resonate as things that might actually have happened.
    Last edited by whag; 01-31-2015, 11:49 AM.

whag cannot into womynz
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I have no dog in this race, but I have always found it notable that all the so-called heroes in the Bible are so very, very human, to the point that even Jesus sometimes couldn't believe the inability His inner circle to "get the point".

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        The human interactions are baffling and don't resonate as things that might actually have happened.
        It seems like you're comparing your expectations of how people would react today in our culture as opposed to thousands of years ago in a totally different culture.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What did I just read?
          "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
          "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
          Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

The story of Samson and Delilah makes no sense as history. As myth, the story makes sense as a form of entertainment for the people who told it and heard it. As history, though, it's dubious. That Delilah would expect Samson to be sympathetic to her clear desire for the Philistines to subdue him seems ludicrous. No woman would expect someone who she's already tried to trick into being captured, tortured, and killed to be understanding of her plight. "You've made a fool of me!" she cries after every failed attempt.

That sounds like myth to me. There's no way to relate to it as history because it's so alien to us that normal intelligent people, heroes especially, would act that way. It demeans the title to describe them as heroes or even especially faithful.

The point being that even the non-supernatural elements don't make sense in the Bible. The human interactions are baffling and don't resonate as things that might actually have happened.
            Guy + Beautiful woman = Brain out the window.

Every modern male on Earth can relate once they have had their first real love especially if followed by their first broken heart. Or several because people in love are STUPID.

It's the same reason human babies are cute - otherwise no one would want the whiny little things...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Every modern male on Earth can relate once they have had their first real love especially if followed by their first broken heart. Or several because people in love are STUPID.

It's the same reason human babies are cute - otherwise no one would want the whiny little things...
              Just to be clear, this isn't exclusive to males. I've certainly known some women that seem to lose whatever brains they had when the 'right' guy showed up.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                Just to be clear, this isn't exclusive to males. I've certainly known some women that seem to lose whatever brains they had when the 'right' guy showed up.
                Yeah, but the thing about puppy love --- it's REAL to the puppy!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

. . .human babies are. . .whiny little things...
                  My amen is for the whole post, but especially for this part right here.

Comment

I don't know. I suppose it's true that some men are horny enough to "lose brain," but Samson could have had any girl he wanted. He likely wouldn't be entranced by a vicious woman twice showing her intent to assassinate him.

They're cute because they love us, too. That generates the entrancement--when you're really liked back.

Maybe he was hornier because he had a death wish, like the self strangulators. He more got off on her desire to murder him. That's awesome that God is so friendly to such cads. He comes across here as amazingly providential and sweet, even to the tragic end of this hothead imbecile.

I like this story as a story, not history, though, because not a lot of it makes sense as history. There are other things that seem unlikely, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      Absolutely. But guys do so often put on a much more spectacular display...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I don't know. I suppose it's true that some men are horny enough to "lose brain," but Samson could have had any girl he wanted. He likely wouldn't be entranced by a vicious woman twice showing her intent to assassinate him.

They're cute because they love us, too. That generates the entrancement--when you're really liked back.

Maybe he was hornier because he had a death wish, like the self strangulators. He more got off on her desire to murder him. That's awesome that God is so friendly to such cads. He comes across here as amazingly providential and sweet, even to the tragic end of this hothead imbecile.

I like this story as a story, not history, though, because not a lot of it makes sense as history. There are other things that seem unlikely, as well.
                        It doesn't matter - once his brain was gone he was hers. What's a little attempted murder to true love?

And no, they're cute and therefore we love them. Babies pretty much embody 'self-centered' at birth.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And no, they're cute and therefore we love them. Babies pretty much embody 'self-centered' at birth.
                          Yeah, the little darlins 'love' us because they NEED us --- they're USERS, they are!

Comment

It doesn't matter - once his brain was gone he was hers. What's a little attempted murder to true love?

Basing loveabilty on cuteness? Thankfully, aesthetically unpleasant babies have an advantage: the mother loves her baby, ugly or no. Three cheers for chemistry.

Comment

I've heard of cases of where a spouse tries to hire a hitman to kill their significant other, but the hitman turns out to be an undercover policeman. Even when the intended victim is shown video tape of their loved one planning out their murder it is not unheard of for them to be completely willing to forgive them and want to "work things out."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment