Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Question for church-goin Christians...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by footwasher View Post
    Well, you can't say that he obeyed the command to put to death the desires of the flesh by the Spirit and it didn't happen.
    So, if a persons sins even ONE TIME, you'd doom them to Hell for eternity?

The only logical conclusion is that he did not put to death the desires of the flesh.
    No - the logical conclusion is that he fell, and got up again, and got back on track. And, AGAIN, I praise God that He is a God of second chances (and more).
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      He failed, just like we all do. key thing to note is that, after falling, he got back up and resumed trying. That's all any of us can do.

You know full well my reply to that.
      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      So, if a persons sins even ONE TIME, you'd doom them to Hell for eternity?

No - the logical conclusion is that he fell, and got up again, and got back on track. And, AGAIN, I praise God that He is a God of second chances (and more).
      Guys, I believe a constructive view can be reached. Please don't dismiss the assertions of hand. Rather let's try to unpack this very complex teaching.

Comment

Guys, I believe a constructive view can be reached. Please don't dismiss the assertions of hand. Rather let's try to unpack this very complex teaching.
        You forgot sarcasm tags.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You forgot sarcasm tags.

Not really. You don't need a PhD to unlock mysteries. You just need Jesus:

Acts 4:13Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus.

Comment

Acts 4:13Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus.
            Why deliberately make your posts difficult to understand?
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Is it your view that the Holy Spirit will provide the proper interpretation of any biblical passage to a true Christian?
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Why deliberately make your posts difficult to understand?
                He thinks God will reveal the meaning of his post?
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  He thinks God will reveal the meaning of his post?
                  OR he's hoping one of US will reveal the meaning of his post to him.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Is it your view that the Holy Spirit will provide the proper interpretation of any biblical passage to a true Christian?
                    Absolutely! That's why the desert ascetic's lifestyle isn't Scriptural. The Holy Spirit in the speaker AND the Holy Spirit in the hearers is the Biblical method to unlock mysteries.

1 Corinthians 3:10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Jeremiah 23:28“The prophet who has a dream may relate his dream, but let him who has My word speak My word in truth. What does straw have in common with grain?” declares the LORD. 29“Is not My word like fire?” declares the LORD, “and like a hammer which shatters a rock? 30“Therefore behold, I am against the prophets,” declares the LORD, “who steal My words from each other. 31“Behold, I am against the prophets,” declares the LORD, “who use their tongues and declare, ‘The Lord declares.’ 32“Behold, I am against those who have prophesied false dreams,” declares the LORD, “and related them and led My people astray by their falsehoods and reckless boasting; yet I did not send them or command them, nor do they furnish this people the slightest benefit,” declares the LORD

Comment

• If you are a Christian, is it mandatory that you "go to church"? If so, is there Biblical evidence to support such a precedent?

To some this question might seem sophomoric, but I think it is a legitimate query... being that modern Christendom seems to put so much weight on this issue.

Disclosure: I am not against the Ekklesia meeting together on regular basis.

Thank you--in advance--for any replies.

Comment

• Have we gotten a little off track?
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• He seems to think so...and yes, we're kinda off track...per Tweb custom.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by Steven View Post
                            If you are a Christian, is it mandatory that you "go to church"? If so, is there Biblical evidence to support such a precedent?

To some this question might seem sophomoric, but I think it is a legitimate query... being that modern Christendom seems to put so much weight on this issue.

Disclosure: I am not against the Ekklesia meeting together on regular basis.

Thank you--in advance--for any replies.
                            We answered that about 20 pages ago. You didn't like the answers.

sigpic

Comment

• Who is a Christian?

He is someone who has heard God and agrees that God is his master. He has sought God and learned that God wants him to repent, ie. be separated from the world, and wants him to find out God's plan for him.

Acts 17:24“The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; 26and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’

God's plan

God's plan for Christians is to be obedient to Christ and His commands:

1. Be baptised in Christ's name, at which time he will receive the Holy Spirit, receiving life for his spirit which will be with Christ in heavenly places

2. By the Spirit, put to death the desires of the flesh, so that the body may live fruitfully, towards receiving a favorable judgment at the return of Christ.

How can the Christian start his journey towards bearing fruit?

1. Through prayer.
                              2. Through reading the Bible.
                              3. Through meeting with other Christians.

Through prayer, through reading the Bible, through meeting with other Christians, Christ will guide the believer to perfection, completion, maturity.

Why do Christians not have knowledge of how to follow God?

1. They don't pray enough. If they prayed more, God would guide them on how to follow Him. Christians are satisfied with incomplete answers. Common sense dictates that if I get incomplete instructions on how to do something, reach some destination, I would not be happy until I get enough knowledge about the task. Instead most Christians are happy with illogical answers. Some believe that they will be saved because God chose them for salvation. Even a preliminary investigation reveals predestination as an illogical description about God's plan. Yet many people are satisfied with this scenario. Prayer would prompt God to guide to a better answer, one without mysterious inconsistencies, which Calvinism is full of.

2. People don't read enough of the Bible and Christian writings. If they did, they would have more material to form a view with.

Hebrews 5:13Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not
                              acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.

3. People don't assemble with other saints enough to discuss and study.

Doesn't going to church count as gathering together with saints?

Not of it is done the way churches gather together today. First century churches gathered together primarily to learn how to follow God.

1 Corinthians 14:26What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.

There are many ways to learn. Research shows that studying alone is not sufficient to learn about a subject. One must be in a group for best results, because of interaction.

Modern churches do not have a place for interaction.

Therefore better results are gained from attending Bible studies than from attending churches.
                              Last edited by footwasher; 03-08-2015, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Doesn't going to church count as gathering with saints?

Not of it is done the way churches gather together today. First century churches gathered together primarily to learn how to follow God.

1 Corinthians 14:26What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.
                                Paul is criticizing the church for this disorder, not commending it.
                                There are many ways to learn. Research shows that studying alone is not sufficient to learn about a subject. One must be in a group for best results, because of interaction.

Modern churches do not have a place for interaction.

Therefore better results are gained from attending Bible studies than from attending churches.
                                Just about every "modern church" I've been in has a place for interaction. Have you been to many?

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X