Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Family Could Really Use Some Prayer Right Now.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Update: I just got a call from my mother a few seconds ago. Apparently they've given my brother some activated carbon over at the hospital to take care of the substances in the pills which he ingested, and his condition is stable for now. The danger isn't entirely over, but I can only give thanks to God, and pray that He continues to watch over my brother until he recovers fully.
    At the risk of being .. um.. presumptuous... often this type of suicide "attempt" is a cry for help. I'm praying he gets the help he's seeking, and that those attending him will be led by the Spirit.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

2. Amen mossrose, Chrawnus, Cerebrum123, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

4. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    At the risk of being .. um.. presumptuous... often this type of suicide "attempt" is a cry for help. I'm praying he gets the help he's seeking, and that those attending him will be led by the Spirit.
    No, you're not being presumptuous at all. I don't know if he was actually intent on taking his life, but the general situation with our family hasn't exactly been great these recent years and my brother is more emotional than I am, so it has probably affected him more adversely than it has me. From what I've perceived he's always had a close relationship with God though, so I'm hoping it will take him through this.

6. Amen Cow Poke, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No, you're not being presumptuous at all. I don't know if he was actually intent on taking his life, but the general situation with our family hasn't exactly been great these recent years and my brother is more emotional than I am, so it has probably affected him more adversely than it has me. From what I've perceived he's always had a close relationship with God though, so I'm hoping it will take him through this.
    and
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

8. Amen Chrawnus, mossrose, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is there an understanding pastor (or, failing that, a good psychotherapist) he can talk to? Having someone you can talk to freely about what's really troubling you can do wonders.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

10. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

12. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Is there an understanding pastor (or, failing that, a good psychotherapist) he can talk to? Having someone you can talk to freely about what's really troubling you can do wonders.
    I'm not entirely sure, but since my older brother lives in the same city as my little brother, he would naturally have better knowledge about what the options are.

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hi Chrawnus, having dealt with similiar last year things last year (my mother-in-law tried to commit suicide - cry for help, and my sister-in-law,eldest brother's wife of 3 months, did commit suicide - clinical depression and a seriou attempt, with what she took, had the ambulance been called immediately she would not have made it) I can relate to what you're going through.

He will obviously be getting counselling, but you (and your other family members) should consider it as well, it will be affecting you more than you realise at the moment.

Praying for all of you

http://www.depression.org.nz/helpingothers
    Source: depression.org.nz

If you know of a friend or family member who may have depression, take some time to explore this site – the information can help you understand what they are going through. We’ve made the site very simple to use and follow, but you’ll find detailed information in the fact sheets and links on many of the pages – they have extra information about depression and the various ways of managing and treating it. These things will help too:

do

• Spend time with them
    • Listen rather than talk – let them tell you how it is for them
    • Learn about depression - how it is treated and what you can do to help recovery
    • See yourself as part of their support team
    • Understand how depression is affecting their daily life
    • Help the person to recognise and find ways of dealing with things that are worrying them
    • Help and encourage them to lead a healthy life, to exercise and to do things they enjoy
    • Support and encourage them to keep getting whatever support or treatment is offered
    • Take any thoughts of suicide seriously – it’s okay to talk about it. Don’t leave someone alone if they feel unsafe. Contact a health care provider or a crisis phone line.

don't
    • Tell them to 'snap out of it' or 'harden up'. People cannot 'will' themselves better from moderate or severe depression
    • Encourage excess alcohol and drug use as a coping strategy - it can make things worse
    • Avoid them – they already feel isolated and this can make their depression worse
    • Assume the problem will just go away
    • Judge or criticise them for what they’re going through
    • Lose hope - they need you to believe they will get through this
    • Give unhelpful advice – for example, 'just think of people who are worse off’.

look after yourself
    Caring for a family or whanau member with depression can be very hard - and it is important to keep yourself well, especially if you are caring for someone with severe depression. It’s important to find ways of getting time-out for yourself and to feel okay about this. It’s not uncommon for a carer to experience anger, guilt or fear. Friends or family members may not understand, so talking to others who are in a similar situation may be helpful. Think about contacting a support network for carers

© Copyright Original Source

TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So apparently he's woken up now, and our mother and his wife have been able to go and talk to him. Apparently they're the only ones who have been able/allowed to see him so far, but the fact that they're allowing visitors in the first place is a good sign.

16. Amen mossrose, Cerebrum123, Cow Poke, Raphael amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am also praying.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

18. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.