Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Our Family Could Really Use Some Prayer Right Now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Is there an understanding pastor (or, failing that, a good psychotherapist) he can talk to? Having someone you can talk to freely about what's really troubling you can do wonders.
      I'm not entirely sure, but since my older brother lives in the same city as my little brother, he would naturally have better knowledge about what the options are.

Comment

Hi Chrawnus, having dealt with similiar last year things last year (my mother-in-law tried to commit suicide - cry for help, and my sister-in-law,eldest brother's wife of 3 months, did commit suicide - clinical depression and a seriou attempt, with what she took, had the ambulance been called immediately she would not have made it) I can relate to what you're going through.

He will obviously be getting counselling, but you (and your other family members) should consider it as well, it will be affecting you more than you realise at the moment.

Praying for all of you

http://www.depression.org.nz/helpingothers
        Source: depression.org.nz

If you know of a friend or family member who may have depression, take some time to explore this site – the information can help you understand what they are going through. We’ve made the site very simple to use and follow, but you’ll find detailed information in the fact sheets and links on many of the pages – they have extra information about depression and the various ways of managing and treating it. These things will help too:

do

• Spend time with them
        • Listen rather than talk – let them tell you how it is for them
        • Learn about depression - how it is treated and what you can do to help recovery
        • See yourself as part of their support team
        • Understand how depression is affecting their daily life
        • Help the person to recognise and find ways of dealing with things that are worrying them
        • Help and encourage them to lead a healthy life, to exercise and to do things they enjoy
        • Support and encourage them to keep getting whatever support or treatment is offered
        • Take any thoughts of suicide seriously – it’s okay to talk about it. Don’t leave someone alone if they feel unsafe. Contact a health care provider or a crisis phone line.

don't
        • Tell them to 'snap out of it' or 'harden up'. People cannot 'will' themselves better from moderate or severe depression
        • Encourage excess alcohol and drug use as a coping strategy - it can make things worse
        • Avoid them – they already feel isolated and this can make their depression worse
        • Assume the problem will just go away
        • Judge or criticise them for what they’re going through
        • Lose hope - they need you to believe they will get through this
        • Give unhelpful advice – for example, 'just think of people who are worse off’.

look after yourself
        Caring for a family or whanau member with depression can be very hard - and it is important to keep yourself well, especially if you are caring for someone with severe depression. It’s important to find ways of getting time-out for yourself and to feel okay about this. It’s not uncommon for a carer to experience anger, guilt or fear. Friends or family members may not understand, so talking to others who are in a similar situation may be helpful. Think about contacting a support network for carers

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

So apparently he's woken up now, and our mother and his wife have been able to go and talk to him. Apparently they're the only ones who have been able/allowed to see him so far, but the fact that they're allowing visitors in the first place is a good sign.

Comment

I am also praying.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Prayed.

Chrawnus. ...as mossy said, some of us have been through similar if not the same situation. We know.

Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Well... I should have read through the thread...as you can see, you're not alone.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Sorry, late to the thread, but prayers are going up! God is at work because His people are praying!
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Comment

"It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I support the :
                            sigpic

Comment

Any update yet?
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeah, apparently my brother is feeling better now. According to what I've heard he was/is feeling ashamed that he went for the option of trying to take his life, but he's grateful that he got help in time, so that nothing worse came off of it.

Of course, no one here has even the slightest thought of berating him for what he did.

At the hospital they wanted to transfer him to a mental health institution (no idea if that's the correct word for it in English) at first, but somehow my older brother managed to convince them otherwise, so for now my little brother is staying with my older brother and and his wife. He's still going to have to visit them for some checkups, but atleast he won't have to stay there.

Anything else? Not sure. They're coming to visit this weekend, so then I'll be able to check how well he is doing for myself.

Comment