Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Budgeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    It might be worth looking into cloth diapers and a toilet-mounted diaper sprayer.

(not AT you, C -- laughing because this reminds me when my wife and I were driving through a neighborhood, and she asked me "what are all those little white flags hanging on that rope". I looked at her and said, "been a long time since you've used cloth diapers, eh? )

(also, we had a "diaper service" in our town named.... "South End Diaper Service". )
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Toilet - mounted diaper sprayer???? Seriously?
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        The Dollar Store is not a bad place to pick up cleaning products inexpensively.
        I make my own cleaners using an empty spray bottle and items we bought at walmart or the dollar general that tend to come in large containers. Its cheap over time and only runs us anywhere from 3-11 cents per bottle to make. Laundry Detergent Comes in Powder Bulk its really more economical than liquid. And fabric softener is is $1 per 100 sheets if I buy DG's brand.
        Originally posted by Carrikature
        It might be worth looking into cloth diapers...
        We did and we opted no. I had a csection, severe PPD, and then broke my ankle which needs surgery. I just peruse for Diaper Coupons. Luv's and Up and Up are household staples here. And the sprayer isn't an option as we are renters.)

Plasma donation is a good idea. I'll need to findout if we have a biolife center near us.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Zymologist and Catholicity, I found plasma donation centers in Californi through Google. Biolife isn't here. But they do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            Toilet - mounted diaper sprayer???? Seriously?
            Seriously. Downright BumGenius!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              Zymologist and Catholicity, I found plasma donation centers in Californi through Google. Biolife isn't here. But they do the same thing.
              Yeah, there are others, Biolife is just the one I'm familiar with.

I would really recommend checking out donating plasma, because it really is fairly easy money. However, if you have any issues with needles, then I may have to advise against it, because the plasma needle is a lot bigger than, say, the needle for a blood sample at a clinic. I was shocked the first time I saw it. Most of the time the pain is pretty minimal, but it may be a bit of a barrier at first.

The pain also depends on the individual phlebotomist, though; some are better at sticking than others. Depends on your veins, too--mine are relatively easy.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                Yeah, there are others, Biolife is just the one I'm familiar with.

I would really recommend checking out donating plasma, because it really is fairly easy money. However, if you have any issues with needles, then I may have to advise against it, because the plasma needle is a lot bigger than, say, the needle for a blood sample at a clinic. I was shocked the first time I saw it. Most of the time the pain is pretty minimal, but it may be a bit of a barrier at first.

The pain also depends on the individual phlebotomist, though; some are better at sticking than others. Depends on your veins, too--mine are relatively easy.
                Do you still get a glass of milk and a chocolate chip cookie? Do they substitute DARK chocolate when you're doing plasma instead of regular?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Do you still get a glass of milk and a chocolate chip cookie? Do they substitute DARK chocolate when you're doing plasma instead of regular?
                  I never have...although the first time you donate I think they give you a bottle of water and some crackers or something. It is highly recommended that you drink a lot of water well before you donate; it makes donating much easier and faster.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I never have...although the first time you donate I think they give you a bottle of water and some crackers or something. It is highly recommended that you drink a lot of water well before you donate; it makes donating much easier and faster.
                    Actually, I used to donate a lot (til I did a mission trip to Haiti, then I was on the "no" list) and they always gave me orange juice and cookies.

Comment

When I coordinated the blood drives for my division, they gave leftover cookies to us after the last group of donors.

Comment

All the lakes are frozen over It gets that cold here at night. The best fishing comes in two months when they thaw out. Deer hunting is at its prime next month. Not sure who hunts around here, I need to find out. So that's a good idea Sparky. Venison is a delicious meat and makes excellent steaks and stew. Most critters hibernate January/Feb. Except Squirrels and rabbit.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

. . . However, if you have any issues with needles, then I may have to advise against it, because the plasma needle is a lot bigger than, say, the needle for a blood sample at a clinic. I was shocked the first time I saw it. Most of the time the pain is pretty minimal, but it may be a bit of a barrier at first.

True of blood donation too.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                            All the lakes are frozen over It gets that cold here at night. The best fishing comes in two months when they thaw out. Deer hunting is at its prime next month. Not sure who hunts around here, I need to find out. So that's a good idea Sparky. Venison is a delicious meat and makes excellent steaks and stew. Most critters hibernate January/Feb. Except Squirrels and rabbit.
                            Ice fishing. It is big in Alaska. I have not been in years though.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Ice fishing. It is big in Alaska. I have not been in years though.
                              Oh we don't do that here. The temperature can go from -1 to 50 in one day and back to -5. No joke. The ice isn't stable nor thick enough. To do it you have to go up to the northern part of Iowa or Nebraska. (5 hour drive) No one is allowed on lakes rivers or Frozen streams in winter.
                              But we can get wild game in the right place...
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

A well, nice thought. I have some friends who are on the list to harvest moose killed by automobiles. Is there any such program where you are? Not necessarily moose of course.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X