Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ethics & destiny of AI creations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics & destiny of AI creations

Some background: Philosophy of artificial intelligence

Some elementary questions to start:

Can machines duplicating animal or human intelligence be truly sentient or conscious? If we don't know, should we assume them to be? Should those machines ever be accorded similar rights and protections against abuse?

For Christians: is it possible that machines could achieve salvation or damnation if they can ever think and feel as humans do?

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
    Some background: Philosophy of artificial intelligence

Some elementary questions to start:

Can machines duplicating animal or human intelligence be truly sentient or conscious? If we don't know, should we assume them to be? Should those machines ever be accorded similar rights and protections against abuse?

For Christians: is it possible that machines could achieve salvation or damnation if they can ever think and feel as humans do?
    Yes machines (mechanical/biological?) could become truly sentient or conscious equivalent to animal or human intelligence. I do not believe current computer technology is capable of this. Current trends in research using biological/mechanical technology indicates that this is possible.

Once this level of developing technology is a achieved, yes such sentient beings should be accorded similar rights and protections.

As far as Jewish, Christian, and Islamic beliefs are too archaic and conflicting to have the guidance to understand a constantly evolving nature of the life that would evolve this way, in a dynamic constantly changing evolving world around us including life forms that evolve from our technology.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-03-2014, 09:25 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Just to be clear, we do mean duplicating and not approximating, right?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Just to be clear, we do mean duplicating and not approximating, right?
        My view is neither duplicating nor approximating. It would be more in terms of being equivalent in a sentient conscious being developed by humans.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

I think this is relevant.

-The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
          Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
          Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
            I think this is relevant.

A cartoon version of infinity? Hilbert's Infinite Hotel? How quant and ancient. Big deal. I could not get the thing to play right, in reality, we need a better source. Try and read Infinity and the Mind by Rudy Rucker. It has pictures too.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-03-2014, 06:12 PM.

Frank

Comment

I'll repeat what I said elsewhere. Machines growing to the point of being equivalent to biological systems is nothing more than a pipe dream, fueled by massive amounts of sci-fi. It won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
                I'll repeat what I said elsewhere. Machines growing to the point of being equivalent to biological systems is nothing more than a pipe dream, fueled by massive amounts of sci-fi. It won't happen.
                Careful with an emotional knee jerk response. There are many real technologies and advancements in science that many naysayers stated; 'It won't happen.' Science fiction has frequently been the foreknowledge of scientific advancements. Also by just the present research in the advancements of neuroscience, and artificial intelligence. This achievement is definitely within reach of science.

Frank

Comment

I don't know about artificial intelligence, but artificial stupidity is a reality already.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    A cartoon version of infinity? Hilbert's Infinite Hotel? How quant and ancient. Big deal. I could not get the thing to play right, in reality, we need a better source. Try and read Infinity and the Mind by Rudy Rucker. It has pictures too.
                    Well it is from a philosopher.
                    And the argument was that a robot can never be truly intelligent. It can only simulate that knowledge. The robot just has syntax but not semantics.
                    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                    Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                      Well it is from a philosopher.
                      And the argument was that a robot can never be truly intelligent. It can only simulate that knowledge. The robot just has syntax but not semantics.
                      At present the concept of robot is too simplistic and mechanical to be anything that could be developed in the future based on present research that would have equivalent intelligence. It would most likely a 'brain like' nervous system and have syntax and semantics. To say that it is not possible is premature when considering the future of science as we know the present level of current research.

Frank

Comment

The problem I see with creating a mind in a computer is that the only real model we have for a mind is our own and we are nowhere close to understanding how our mind and brain works.

Perhaps we might be able to figure out how to scan a mind into a computer, duplicating every connection and neuron in software, but I doubt that would work either, since our brains are designed as biological units and not silicon based software. Plus even then we would have to know enough about how our minds work to get the scanned mind to operate in software, make new connections, etc.

And then so what? we have a human mind in software. what good is it? we have plenty of them in normal people, its not like we are having a shortage of minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          The problem I see with creating a mind in a computer is that the only real model we have for a mind is our own and we are nowhere close to understanding how our mind and brain works.

Perhaps we might be able to figure out how to scan a mind into a computer, duplicating every connection and neuron in software, but I doubt that would work either, since our brains are designed as biological units and not silicon based software. Plus even then we would have to know enough about how our minds work to get the scanned mind to operate in software, make new connections, etc.

And then so what? we have a human mind in software. what good is it? we have plenty of them in normal people, its not like we are having a shortage of minds.
                          The equivalent intelligent being most likely will be neither the mirror of a human brain nor anything like a computer as we know it. One hypothetical way it would develop is an equivalent to the neuron and neural networks that may be integrated into an equivalent to systems of neuron networks equivalent to a brain.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-04-2014, 07:12 PM.

Frank

Comment

F-35 Delayed After Fourth Prototype Becomes Self-Aware And Has To Be Destroyed

Comment

Sounds like satire though.
                              Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment