Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Where in Canada have you been?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I tried to get into Canada with a friend once on a lark. We were kinda bored, hanging out at gritty truck stops on a weekend night on interstate 75. Friend asked if we should keep going north. I said yes. He asked how far. I said all the way! We get to Detroit at like midnight. No one on the streets except shady looking types. Get to the border crossing. Asked what our business is. Kinda shrug and say "looking for a place to eat". Where are we going to eat? "Um...McDonalds?" They ask us to step out of the car to search us, and then point back in the direction we just came from and say "there's a Mcdonalds about 5 minutes that way". And that was closest we got to Canada that night.
    Now if you has said Tim Horton's they probably would have started a parade in your honor and let you ride on the back of a moose at the head of it.

Now my brother works on the border, but you like, have to give a blood and hair sample, and name your child after Sir Macdonald, or something, if you wanna even think of crossing over. Pain in the buttocks.
    Don't you need a passport now?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Now if you has said Tim Horton's they probably would have started a parade in your honor and let you ride on the back of a moose at the head of it.
      Probably yeah.

Don't you need a passport now?
      You can apply for some sort of card or something without doing the whole passport thing, but it requires your original birth certificate, I think, to get it. My brother has been able to get people in without one a couple times, but they're locking down on it pretty hard. I hate that we have to go through all that nonsense in order to visit a nation that's right next to us. Europeans don't have to go through that kind of silliness. And besides, Canadians are basically Americans with a bit of an accent.

Comment

Probably yeah.

You can apply for some sort of card or something without doing the whole passport thing, but it requires your original birth certificate, I think, to get it. My brother has been able to get people in without one a couple times, but they're locking down on it pretty hard. I hate that we have to go through all that nonsense in order to visit a nation that's right next to us. Europeans don't have to go through that kind of silliness. And besides, Canadians are basically Americans with a bit of an accent.
        In South America, they would be called Americans (they call us "United Statesers").
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          In South America, they would be called Americans (they call us "United Statesers").
          I never heard anyone call me a "United Stateser" even once but heard yanqui several times.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

map_e.jpg
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I couldn't find Kentucky on that map.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I couldn't find Kentucky on that map.
                Just North of Texas!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I never heard anyone call me a "United Stateser" even once but heard yanqui several times.
                  Must be just parts of SA then. I recall at least some of them being peeved that we had arrogated "American" for ourselves, since they consider themselves Americans as well.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I've never been to Canada...I've not been to many northern States either. I laid over in Boston on the way to the country of Latvia on a missionary trip to help renovate a Bible College there in Latvia. Of course we laid over in Iceland and Sweden as well...
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                      I've never been to Canada....
                      Nor can you see it from your house.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Been to Toronto and North Bay in Ontario.

Side note: I saw some strange* names of places on the drive from Toronto to North Bay.

*Relative to me. I dunno if these names are strange to Canadians.
                        -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                        Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                        Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post

Side note: I saw some strange* names of places on the drive from Toronto to North Bay.

Did you drive through the thriving metropolis of Ardbeg? That's probably the closest settlement to my grandparents' cabin. There was a small general store on the lake, and they got fresh bread from a bakery across the lake from them. Otherwise, they had to drive down to Parry Sound to get groceries.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Nor can you see it from your house.
                            Not even if I climb the ole Pecan Tree...
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post

No stranger than some American place names are.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                                No stranger than some American place names are.

Name ONE!

Comment