No announcement yet.

I hate meeting new people(College)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Da maths is, as everyone knows, of the devil.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Da maths is, as everyone knows, of the devil.
      St. Augustine solemnly informed us in his "De Genesi ad litteram libri duodecim" (The Literal Meaning of Genesis) that "The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and confine man in the bonds of hell."

The Dominican Father Tommaso Caccini (d. 1648), most noted for his help in prosecuting Galileo preached a sermon at the Santa Maria Novella in Florence on the subject of Joshua 10 on December 20, 1614 which insisted that "geometry is of the devil," and that "mathematics should be banished as the authors of all heresies." The church authorities promoted Caccini thereafter to the Master and Bachelor of the Santa Maria sopra Minerva convent in Rome.

Of course, during ancient and Medieval times astronomers were referred to as mathematicians as can be seen by another comment by Augustine ("One does not read in the Gospel that the Lord said: ‘I will send you the Paraclete who will teach you about the course of the sun and moon.’ For he willed to make them Christians, not mathematicians") and Caccini's sermon was directed in opposition to Galileo... but why take chances?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

\The danger already exists that mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and confine man in the bonds of hell."
        devilsfoodcookies.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]4105[/ATTACH]
          So who do we believe? Saint Augustine or the devil's baker, lao? Lao.gif

Comment

Saint Augustine or the devil's baker, lao? [ATTACH=CONFIG]4106[/ATTACH]
            Does he have cookies?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              Does he have cookies?
              He has his default set to removing them every time he closes his browser.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hey lao. You ever have days like this?

Comment

Hey lao. You ever have days like this?
                  Pity the poor student who asks me to justify an imagination.

Comment

Math is dumb.
                    It always makes me solve the problem.
                    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                      Math is dumb.
                      It always makes me solve the problem.
                      Math is fun. Abstract algebra was one of my favorite college classes.

As for making friends at college: I'm an INTJ too. If I made friends and got through college, I'm pretty sure you will too. When I first went to college, half the people in my hallway, including my roommate, had already been there for a few days (for sports, etc.) and made friends, and I still managed to become friends with some of them. In fact, my best friend turned out to be one of the people in my hall who was already there and had already made friends.

When you first get there, pretty much all the other freshmen will be anxious and desperate for friends too, and people tend to make friends pretty quickly in that environment. If you find a church or campus fellowship and get involved in a Bible study or something, that's a good way to find friends too.

Comment