Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Buying a house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    I would NEVER own a house that has an HOA...
    Careful brother - remember, the rule is that your KIDS pick your nursing home!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Home Owners Associations... or whatever they call them in your part of the country:

They can be a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT with their rules and enforcements - I know a neighborhood where you have to get the color of paint approved before you can paint the outside of your house. You can't, for example, have the same color house as any house within three houses of you. I lived in one area once where I wanted to build an outdoor BBQ deck with a roof, and it was like an act of congress to get approval to spend my own money!

On the OTHER hand, they can keep somebody from putting a big blue pool in their front yard, or parking junk cars along your property, parking a mobile home next to their house, etc.

Find out what the deed restrictions are, and what - if any - home owner's association (also called property owner's association) restrictions there might be. And the COST of belonging to one of these (no choice but to "belong") can be $50 a year, to $200 to $500 a MONTH.
      I belong to an HOA. But it is only $75/year, and most of that us used for stuff like neighborhood BBQs and buying street lamps. They are pretty lax on the regulations, but all of the mailboxes have to be the same, and you need approval before you do any visible outside extension to your home, or if you want to put in a tool shed or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I belong to an HOA. But it is only $75/year, and most of that us used for stuff like neighborhood BBQs and buying street lamps. They are pretty lax on the regulations, but all of the mailboxes have to be the same, and you need approval before you do any visible outside extension to your home, or if you want to put in a tool shed or something like that.
        Yeah, most of the HOAs around here are like that -- and they won't allow you to have junk cars in your front yard, or your grass to be too tall.

My daughter actually got a letter from her HOA because she had washed her car, and left the bucket and hose in the driveway near her garage door. "storageable items must be kept out of view".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, most of the HOAs around here are like that -- and they won't allow you to have junk cars in your front yard, or your grass to be too tall.

My daughter actually got a letter from her HOA because she had washed her car, and left the bucket and hose in the driveway near her garage door. "storageable items must be kept out of view".
          Yeah sometimes you get little hitlers in charge of the HOA, and the power goes to their head. They want to go around measuring every blade of grass. Thankfully mine isn't like that. I let my grass get higher than the 8 inch limit in the HOA last year when my mower was broke. No letter or anything. I finally got a friend to cut it with a lawn tractor. They also have a rule that you can't park on the street, but I see cars on the street here and there. apparently they don't enforce that either.

Comment

Home Owners Associations... or whatever they call them in your part of the country:

They can be a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT with their rules and enforcements - I know a neighborhood where you have to get the color of paint approved before you can paint the outside of your house. You can't, for example, have the same color house as any house within three houses of you. I lived in one area once where I wanted to build an outdoor BBQ deck with a roof, and it was like an act of congress to get approval to spend my own money!

On the OTHER hand, they can keep somebody from putting a big blue pool in their front yard, or parking junk cars along your property, parking a mobile home next to their house, etc.

Find out what the deed restrictions are, and what - if any - home owner's association (also called property owner's association) restrictions there might be. And the COST of belonging to one of these (no choice but to "belong") can be $50 a year, to $200 to $500 a MONTH.
            Can be a selling point - can also be a nightmare for resale because some buyers won't touch them.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X