Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Giving up on the stubborn ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving up on the stubborn ones

Anyone can answer this but I want to see what CP has to say, since you and my brother have something in common(Pastors):

People like mickiel or anyone that just like to ignore facts in general, why do you still try to persuade them(Religious/Non-religious subjects)?

What do you think CP?What's so special about wasting time on someone that doesn't listen, instead of with someone that will listen to what you have to say?

To me if people are willfully ignorant, I don't waste time on them and more than often I begin to look down on them.
    I suppose it's a bad habit, but I just think some people deserve it.
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

By the way I'm not sure if I place this topic in the right place, so move it if you must.
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
      What do you think CP?What's so special about wasting time on someone that doesn't listen, instead of with someone that will listen to what you have to say?
      I think you're making this unnecessarily binary - "instead of"...

In real life I deal with people all the time who value my opinion - had an interesting discussion today with a King James Onliest, who is beginning to understand that it might not be such a good idea to limit himself that way. A very fruitful discussion.

I have a lot of interaction in other areas with all kinds of people here on Tweb.

Mick fascinates me. I don't know why. There are moments when we actually talk - like when I sincerely congratulate him on his giving up booze, and he opens up a bit.

Sometimes, while I'm writing a long post, or waiting on something else to happen, I'll peek in on Mick.

It doesn't cost me anything to keep in touch with him, and it's always possible that somebody will read his whacko theology and consider he might be right about something. It doesn't take a lot of effort or time to respond to Mick, and I think he likes me.

What fascinates me is when others are worried about how I spend my time -- and some come in that thread and say "don't interact with him", then they interact with him....

That's just an off the cuff first response.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It reminds me of something that happened about 40 years ago.

I had become the new Youth Minister at a Church, and there was this girl named Linny. She was a beautiful young lady, full of love and just as sweet as could be.

One day I noticed she was wearing a little too much makeup, and something didn't look right. Upon closer inspection, she was hiding a black eye and a busted lip. I asked her about it, but it was obvious she didn't want to talk about it, and I was kinda new and didn't want to force the issue.

I asked some of the people in the Church what that was all about, and one of the wise old deacons told me "you'll just have to ask her".

So, I got up the courage to sit down and talk to her, and it took a while, but she opened up and told me that her father hits her. Her Mom had left long ago, and her Dad took to drinking. She told me he was a very nice man when he was sober, but he would often come home drunk, and find that she hadn't put the dishes away exactly where they belonged, or hadn't vacuumed the floor, or hadn't done any number of other things, and he would yell at her and slap her. It was just he and she that lived in the house.

I told her there were people in the Church who would love to take her in, and that she didn't have to endure that kind of abuse.

What she told me shook me to my soul. She said, "one day Daddy is going to come home, and he's going to be sober, and he's going to want answers, and if I'm not home, there won't be anybody to tell him about Jesus."

For some reason, I am drawn to people who the rest of the world has given up on. I pick on Mick, but you'll see him sometimes kinda kidding back - he's actually told me that he likes me.

Maybe I'm thinking that one day he won't be messed up on drugs or booze (he talks about taking 13 pills each night - who knows what they're for) and --- who knows - maybe the Holy Spirit will work on his big thick skull and something will "click".

Just thinking out loud.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          It reminds me of something that happened about 40 years ago.

I had become the new Youth Minister at a Church, and there was this girl named Linny. She was a beautiful young lady, full of love and just as sweet as could be.

One day I noticed she was wearing a little too much makeup, and something didn't look right. Upon closer inspection, she was hiding a black eye and a busted lip. I asked her about it, but it was obvious she didn't want to talk about it, and I was kinda new and didn't want to force the issue.

I asked some of the people in the Church what that was all about, and one of the wise old deacons told me "you'll just have to ask her".

So, I got up the courage to sit down and talk to her, and it took a while, but she opened up and told me that her father hits her. Her Mom had left long ago, and her Dad took to drinking. She told me he was a very nice man when he was sober, but he would often come home drunk, and find that she hadn't put the dishes away exactly where they belonged, or hadn't vacuumed the floor, or hadn't done any number of other things, and he would yell at her and slap her. It was just he and she that lived in the house.

I told her there were people in the Church who would love to take her in, and that she didn't have to endure that kind of abuse.

What she told me shook me to my soul. She said, "one day Daddy is going to come home, and he's going to be sober, and he's going to want answers, and if I'm not home, there won't be anybody to tell him about Jesus."

For some reason, I am drawn to people who the rest of the world has given up on. I pick on Mick, but you'll see him sometimes kinda kidding back - he's actually told me that he likes me.

Maybe I'm thinking that one day he won't be messed up on drugs or booze (he talks about taking 13 pills each night - who knows what they're for) and --- who knows - maybe the Holy Spirit will work on his big thick skull and something will "click".

Just thinking out loud.
          How long have you and mickiel been around on tweb?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
            How long have you and mickiel been around on tweb?
            I really don't have a sense of time, but it was before the Crash.

Comment

The reason I have stopped bothering to respond to Mickiel, is that it just seems to cause him to continue on with his blogging. He thinks he is getting more "views" and his ego inflates. So I ignore him, hoping he will just go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                The reason I have stopped bothering to respond to Mickiel, is that it just seems to cause him to continue on with his blogging. He thinks he is getting more "views" and his ego inflates. So I ignore him, hoping he will just go away.
                Oh, come on - you just got tired of Mick totally humiliating, folding, stapling and mutilating you. You could not stand up to his superior intellect and eminent command of the Bible.

Comment

Oh, come on - you just got tired of Mick totally humiliating, folding, stapling and mutilating you. You could not stand up to his superior intellect and eminent command of the Bible.
                  yeah that must be it.

Comment

You forgot the sarcasm tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Yeah, his ego took a huge hit when we all ignored him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        You forgot the sarcasm tags.
                        Yeah

Comment

I don't think sarcasm tags are needed or even wanted when it's that obvious. The irony is better without them.

(But honestly, I think it's that obvious about 95% of the time.)
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I don't think sarcasm tags are needed or even wanted when it's that obvious. The irony is better without them.

Yeah, I think most folks know I'm good buds with Sparko*, and I don't think Mick is all that bright, so..... yeah.

*Did I actually TYPE that?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I can have a harder time with it myself, and I know that certain other posters do too. So, I always at minimum try to include either this guy or the sarcasm tags.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X