Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Glenn Miller on genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Notice how I already anticipated that objection by the phrase "an act of free will". If God wants us to to enter into relationship with him by free will then He by necessity must create agents who are capable of rejecting Him. If God created a being that couldn't act contrary to how He wanted it to act then there is no way that being could be said to have a free will in any meaningful sense of the word.
    That makes no sense. People who have a relationship with God entered into that relationship by their own free will. There's no need for God to create people who do not want to enter into that relationship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      That makes no sense. People who have a relationship with God entered into that relationship by their own free will. There's no need for God to create people who do not want to enter into that relationship.

God does not create people who do not want to enter into relationship with Him, He creates people who have the ABILITY to decide to reject him and the chance that some of those people will choose to exercise that ability is very possible. If God decided to create only those humans who He knew would choose to enter into relationship with Him it would amount to nothing less than making free will irrelevant.

Comment

He creates people who have the ABILITY to decide to reject him
        I'll admit to having that ability, but not to having ever exercised it. If someone tells me that leprechauns exist and I don't believe them, I'm not rejecting leprechauns. I am rejecting the assertion that I should believe leprechauns exist. It's the same thing when someone tells me God exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
          I'll admit to having that ability, but not to having ever exercised it. If someone tells me that leprechauns exist and I don't believe them, I'm not rejecting leprechauns. I am rejecting the assertion that I should believe leprechauns exist. It's the same thing when someone tells me God exists.
          You're right that from your perspective you're not rejecting God, but rather the belief that God exists.

But if God exists, then your rejection (which I'm in this particular instance using as a neutral term, without any value-judgements) to believe in the existence of God, for whatever reasons you might have, also constitute a rejection of God himself.

Comment

God does not create people who do not want to enter into relationship with Him, He creates people who have the ABILITY to decide to reject him and the chance that some of those people will choose to exercise that ability is very possible. If God decided to create only those humans who He knew would choose to enter into relationship with Him it would amount to nothing less than making free will irrelevant.
            1. God decided to create only those humans who He knew would choose to enter into relationship with Him
            2. Free will [is] irrelevant

How do you get from 1 to 2?

Comment

1. God decided to create only those humans who He knew would choose to enter into relationship with Him
              2. Free will [is] irrelevant

How do you get from 1 to 2?
              This isn't rocket science PM (although judging by your total lack of the ability to read, it might as well be to you) because for something to be a 'free choice'; you actually have to have the ability not to choose it.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                This isn't rocket science PM (although judging by your total lack of the ability to read, it might as well be to you) because for something to be a 'free choice'; you actually have to have the ability not to choose it.
                How does God only creating people who would choose a relationship with him remove choice? The choice is still being made. God just knows the answer in advance.

Comment

But if God exists, then your rejection (which I'm in this particular instance using as a neutral term, without any value-judgements) to believe in the existence of God, for whatever reasons you might have, also constitute a rejection of God himself.
                  If God exists, then he has authority over me. You say I am rejecting an authority. There is no way to make that a value-neutral assertion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                    If God exists, then he has authority over me. You say I am rejecting an authority. There is no way to make that a value-neutral assertion.
                    And I never said it was. I said that I was using the word 'reject', in the specific instance of you rejecting the belief in the existence of God, as value-neutral. But it's really not the most important part of my point (It's not even part of the point even, more a side note), so I'm not really sure why you choose to focus on that instead of the point of my post.

Comment

so I'm not really sure why you choose to focus on that instead of the point of my post.
                      Maybe I missed the point of your post. Tell me the point again, please.

Comment

how would that work.

How would God 'know' they would not worship Him if they did not exist ever (in the future)

If they exist in the future, then they have real existing lives (therefore souls)

To prevent their birth now, then, means destroying souls that exist (remember, no past present future for Bible God, He simply just "IS")
                        To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

• Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
                          Here is what he says:

"(2) the evil/violence of the people were both against God and against humanity (Gen 6.12) and was VERY EXTENSIVE ("filled"); (3) some of the evil was probably sexual violence or violation (Gen 6.1-2); ... "

It seems to me that he stating as fact that the violence (1) was very extensive, so emphatically that it deserves ALL CAPS. For the sexual violence, he quotes a specific verse, and yet when we read the verse, it does not indicate that. I can accept that Miller was speculating, but I object to the way he presents it as something else.(2) When speculation is presented as fact, I will call it "making stuff up".
                          {numbers and underlining mine}

(1) Miller specifically says "...the evil/violence of the people.." so you're unfairly representing his position by only linking it to violence.

(2) Notice his use of qualifiers "...some of the evil was probably..." in his point (3). He's not stating a 'fact', he's giving his interpretation, presented as such.

So you do unfairly represent him as "making stuff up" when he specifically qualifies what he says (it's not 'fact', but his interpretation); and when he gives reasons and supports it from the text. Miller may be wrong in his interpretation, but he's not presenting it as fact when it's not.

Originally posted by The Pixie
                          I am not sure what Miller's position is, hence I said: "It is not clear who the sons of God were; one possibility is that they are angels. That can hardly be any justification for the flood!" To be explicit, I do not know who Miller thinks the sons of God are, however, if he thinks they are angels, then in that case he cannot cite that as a rationale for the Flood. On the other hand, he might think they are the descendants of Seth, and the sexual violence is merely the taking of wives.

It is clear he thinks sexual violence is an issue and that it is indicated in the text, as he says: "(3) some of the evil was probably sexual violence or violation (Gen 6.1-2);". What do you think he believes the sexual violence to be? Or is it (as I strongly suspect) that he wants to keep it vague to give the impression of something horrible, without any actual basis.

You're arguing that Miller's unknown view on who 'the sons of God' were is what he thinks justified the Flood??? But this is just a case of you "making stuff up", because he says nothing of the kind, and I already pointed that out.

I won't go over the rest of your response as I feel I've more than adequately shown that you misread and misrepresent Glen Miller. If you're really curious about his position, email him, and he might add your email and his response to his site.
                          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

It's just the Epicurus phrasing. An omnipotent, benevolent deity doesn't have to cause suffering and doesn't want to cause suffering.
                            But that is not a formulation that leads to a logical contradiction between God existing and there being evil. Check out the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry, especially under point 1.3.

The upshot is that the idea that either the actuality of certain undesirable states of affairs, or at least the possibility, may be logically necessary for goods that outweigh them, is not without some initial plausibility, and if some such claim can be sustained, it will follow immediately that the mere existence of evil cannot be incompatible with the existence of an omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect being.

How does this bear upon evidential formulations of the argument from evil? The answer would seem to be that if there can be evils that are logically necessary for goods that outweigh them, then it is hard to see how the mere existence of evil—in the absence of further information—can provide much in the way of evidence against the existence of God.
                            Philosophers have moved on from such formulations to ones that argue that the amount of evil makes it less likely that a good God exists.
                            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

How does God only creating people who would choose a relationship with him remove choice? The choice is still being made. God just knows the answer in advance.
                              Are you thinking before you make your post PM? If the only choice you have is obey... how do you have a choice to begin with?
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
                                how would that work.

How would God 'know' they would not worship Him if they did not exist ever (in the future)

If they exist in the future, then they have real existing lives (therefore souls)

To prevent their birth now, then, means destroying souls that exist (remember, no past present future for Bible God, He simply just "IS")
                                The idea is that God has access to "Middle Knowledge." That is, he would know who would choose him if he created them. So God could look ahead at all potential people he might create, and then only bring into actualization those who would in fact follow his ways. That way all who choose him would do so freely, even though there would be no actual persons who reject him.

Comment