Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Immortality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
    Even if we do manage to get one of these working, the Universe is at some point coming to a end....
    Maybe in a trillion years or so, we will be able to immortalize the universe as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Maybe in a trillion years or so, we will be able to immortalize the universe as well.
      Perhaps.... :p
      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I support the :
      sigpic

Comment

Where would you get the energy from to get around the laws of thermodynamics? It'd have to be outside the system.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Under the wide and starry sky
          Dig the grave and let me lie.
          Glad did I live and gladly die,
          And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me;
          "Here he lies where he longed to be,
          Home is the sailor, home from sea,
          And the hunter home from the hill."

Comment

I think Stephen Petranek said that true immortality is a statistical impossibility. One living for hundreds of years will very likely eventually die in an accident or be at-least manslaughtered. 300 years, he cited as a likely median lifespan.
            Last edited by Truthseeker; 02-16-2015, 06:07 PM.

Comment

That's why you would need invulnerability with the immortality. Or specify the type. And make sure your superpowers don't have a weakness.

Comment

Kinda like a Tolkien Elve...

BTW, I don't want to be immortal in this life.

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                  Kinda like a Tolkien Elve...

BTW, I don't want to be immortal in this life.

K54
                  Klaus, I've been meaning to ask you... what exactly is a Christian Agnostic?
                  "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                  -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  I support the :
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah! What is it? A Christian that isn't 100% sure that God exists???

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      They do? Some of them might be (not signing up for a head transplant anytime soon), but I don't think Anti-Aging Medicine would be any worse than the vaccines we already receive. Artificial Intelligence should be relatively pain free depending on how our consciousness is uploaded.
                      Simply uploading your consciousness would not give you immortality or even extended life. All it would give you would be a copy of your consciousness who would get to live on without you. I'll wait for the real thing.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        They do? Some of them might be (not signing up for a head transplant anytime soon), but I don't think Anti-Aging Medicine would be any worse than the vaccines we already receive. Artificial Intelligence should be relatively pain free depending on how our consciousness is uploaded.
                        Depends... we're still pretty far off from doing Mind -> Tech Transfers...
                        -Unknown

I support the :
                        sigpic

Comment

It means I'm a mere Christian with no denominational links, AND I do have some doubt -- exacerbated by the risible "absolutely certain" attitudes of Fundamentalists.

I hope this helps, but I'm not certain it will.

K54

Comment

In the end isn't none of this "immortality? If the universe does come to an end, isn't this just extension of "life" for a really LONG time? This reminds me of the gods that are "immortal" until they die kinda thing.
                            Last edited by Cerealman; 02-16-2015, 11:26 PM.
                            "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                            "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                            Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

I did not understand the difference between AI, digital, and cyborg. Whatever lets me download into the vehicle of my choice and store many, many qubits of data.
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Also, I did not see a "The Prestige" option.
                                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment