Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A handy weblink for men who have cooking responsibility for the night:

https://www.papajohns.com/order/stores-near-me
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      A handy weblink for men who have cooking responsibility for the night:

https://www.papajohns.com/order/stores-near-me
      I love cooking. And I am really good at it. Made a mean PB&J last night!
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        I love cooking. And I am really good at it. Made a mean PB&J last night!
        I made hamburgers and french fries!

Hey anyone have any good recipes for Philly Cheesesteak?

Comment

• Wow. Reading through this thread is like opening up a time capsule.

Familiar, beloved names that are no longer with us, and some that I barely remember.........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Thanks, JohnnyP!

Just found the recipe for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies in the Whole World that I posted a LONG time ago!

This is my Mom's recipe. She passed away in 2008 at the age of 89.

I have tweaked it a bit, and got it pretty good, but my son, MelMak, can make these absolutely killer! We have doubled the recipe, and doubled it again, since there's no point in making just a couple dozen of these. The recipe is easy to halve.

Cream 1 and 1/2 c. shortening, 1 c. white sugar, and 2 c. brown sugar until well blended. Add 4 tsps. vanilla, and 4 eggs. Beat these REALLY well, until VERY light and fluffy. (I usually turn the mixer on high and go away for 10 minutes, coming back to scrape periodically.)

Add 4 c. flour, 2 tsp, baking soda, and 1 tsp salt. Mix well. Stir in 12 oz. chocolate chips, or however many you want. (I also like to add a cup or so of chopped pecans or walnuts. We have also added toffee bits......you could add dried cranberries, the options are limitless).

Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes, or whatever works best with your oven. Enjoy. Before they're all gone.

MelMak also does another great rendition. He takes out 1/2 c. of flour and replaces it with 1/2 c. cocoa powder. Makes fabulous chocolate chocolate chip pecan/walnut cranberry toffee......cookies.
            Recently discovered mod: Substitute half the cocoa powder with black cocoa powder, and add a few drops of oil of peppermint into the dough.
            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• Recently discovered recipe. I was at my cousin's surprise birthday party put on by her daughter, and there was a big bowl of what they called "fluff".

I found out that my cousin accidentally made this one day, and now it's a tradition in her family at every gathering. It's so easy it's ridiculous! Makes a really light dessert and you could add fruit if you like.

Prepare 1 regular package of jello as directed. Any flavour, you decide. I particularly like the lemon.

Allow to partially set, about 1 and 1/2 hours or whatever works for you. Dump it into a mixing bowl and dump a whole container of Cool Whip, thawed, on top. You could use whipped cream as well, if you like.

Whip it all like crazy. Set in fridge. Soon it will be Fluff!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Here is a nice recipe for making Chick-Fil-A Sandwiches

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...es-recipe.html

Comment

• MelMak just baked the most deliciousest ginger cookies I've ever had in my whole long lifetime! We doubled this recipe.

Triple Ginger Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
                  1 tsp. baking soda
                  2 tsp. ground ginger
                  3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
                  1/2 tsp. ground allspice
                  1/2 tsp. salt
                  1/3 cup finely diced crystallized ginger
                  3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened ( we only had salted butter, so when we doubled the recipe we only used 1/2 tsp. salt. It worked fine.)
                  1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
                  1 large egg, room temperature
                  1/4 cup molasses
                  2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger

1. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, spices, salt and chopped candied ginger. (Use your fingers if necessary, to unclump the candied ginger.)

2. In your mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg and molasses and fresh ginger.

3. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine. Chill for 30 minutes or overnight.

4. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. (We just sprayed them with nonstick spray, worked fine.)

5. Roll dough into tablespoon sized balls and roll each ball in sugar. (MelMak forgot to roll the balls in sugar, but they turned out fine, anyway.)

6. Place 2" apart on baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes or until puffed and cracked on top.

7. Cool on the pan for a few minutes and remove to a wire rack.

8. OPTIONAL: Hide them all from everybody else so you can have them all to yourself!

The original recipe makes about 2 1/2 dozen. He got about 5 1/2 dozen by doubling the recipe.
                  Last edited by mossrose; 01-01-2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• I'm going to try these ribs tonight. Want something different from my usual sweet and sour ribs.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/dry-ga...areribs-695219

I'll let you know how it goes!

P.S. MelMak! You need to make those ginger cookies again!

Comment

• Well, they turned out pretty good.

I used half the amount of sugar, about half the garlic, and next time I am going to thicken the sauce with a little cornstarch and simmer the ribs longer.

But not bad for a first attempt!

Comment

• Anybody know how to toast a hot cross bun without putting it in the toaster, and without owning a toaster oven?

I hate to turn the oven on to toast one that way. I tried cutting one in half and buttering the halves and using a pan like making a grilled cheese sammich, but I didn't want to turn it over and get the sticky side of the top all over my pan. The half that was on the pan was nicely toasty, but the other side of the bun that didn't get the heat was just soggy.

I am in despair. And need a toasted hcb!!!

Comment

Anybody know how to toast a hot cross bun without putting it in the toaster, and without owning a toaster oven?

I hate to turn the oven on to toast one that way. I tried cutting one in half and buttering the halves and using a pan like making a grilled cheese sammich, but I didn't want to turn it over and get the sticky side of the top all over my pan. The half that was on the pan was nicely toasty, but the other side of the bun that didn't get the heat was just soggy.

I am in despair. And need a toasted hcb!!!

Put your oven on broil and broil it face down. Put some crisco or butter very light amount on the sheet pan and then broil it with your oven door cracked so you can watch it so it won't burn.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            Put your oven on broil and broil it face down. Put some crisco or butter very light amount on the sheet pan and then broil it with your oven door cracked so you can watch it so it won't burn.
                            Well, I thought of that, but as I said, I didn't know if it was worth turning the oven on.

Thanks, Bill.

Comment

• Ask rogue06 for a flame thrower.

Comment

Well, I thought of that, but as I said, I didn't know if it was worth turning the oven on.

Thanks, Bill.

So how'd it turn out?
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment