Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    So how'd it turn out?
    Didn't try it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• I am now trying to make something I miss from Germany, German Bread (Mischbrot)

German bread is a type of sourdough rye bread and I really miss it. I found a recipe online and I am currently making the sourdough starter and will try my hand at making it this weekend.

https://mygerman.recipes/german-rye-...ugh-mischbrot/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I am now trying to make something I miss from Germany, German Bread (Mischbrot)

German bread is a type of sourdough rye bread and I really miss it. I found a recipe online and I am currently making the sourdough starter and will try my hand at making it this weekend.

That sounds awesome and delicious. Back when I was married, my wife and I would make all sorts of bread. My favorite was Ezekiel bread. We also had a grain grinder and would grind our own grain.

Why were you in Germany? Military?

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

That sounds awesome and delicious. Back when I was married, my wife and I would make all sorts of bread. My favorite was Ezekiel bread. We also had a grain grinder and would grind our own grain.

Why were you in Germany? Military?
          Dad was in the Army, married my mom over there (she's German), I was born there, and I have lived there off an on over the years growing up. Have a half sister and niece and nephew over there.

What's Ezekiel bread?

Comment

Dad was in the Army, married my mom over there (she's German), I was born there, and I have lived there off an on over the years growing up. Have a half sister and niece and nephew over there.

What's Ezekiel bread?
            The recipe is in the book of Ezekiel. It's a medley of various grains. Spelt, millet, barley, etc. It makes a hearty dense bread but really tasty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

The recipe is in the book of Ezekiel. It's a medley of various grains. Spelt, millet, barley, etc. It makes a hearty dense bread but really tasty.
              Ezekiel 4:9 “Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. You are to eat it during the 390 days you lie on your side. 10 Weigh out twenty shekels[b] of food to eat each day and eat it at set times. 11 Also measure out a sixth of a hin[c] of water and drink it at set times. 12 Eat the food as you would a loaf of barley bread; bake it in the sight of the people, using human excrement for fuel.”

I think I will skip that.

Comment

Ezekiel 4:9 “Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. You are to eat it during the 390 days you lie on your side. 10 Weigh out twenty shekels[b] of food to eat each day and eat it at set times. 11 Also measure out a sixth of a hin[c] of water and drink it at set times. 12 Eat the food as you would a loaf of barley bread; bake it in the sight of the people, using human excrement for fuel.”

I think I will skip that.
                There are actual recipes online that don't use excrement for fuel.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

There are actual recipes online that don't use excrement for fuel.
                  Then it ain't Ezekiel bread! Although God did relent and allow him to use cow dung instead.

Comment

• Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I am now trying to make something I miss from Germany, German Bread (Mischbrot)

Well I have been making my german mischbrot for a while now and I am getting better at it.

Here one of my latest attempts:

bread - Copy.jpg

And I found an easier recipe from the video I posted:

Mischbrot

Ingredients:
                      • 250 grams of medium rye flour
                      • 250 grams of bread flour
                      • 350 grams of water (70% of flour)
                      • 100 grams of rye sourdough starter (20% of flour)
                      • 10 grams of salt (2% of flour)

Dough:
                      1. Mix all ingredients using hand or mixer in large bowl
                      2. Bulk Rise Phase: Cover with lid or plastic wrap and wait till dough has doubled in size (usually 5-6 hours)
                        Tip to check how much your dough has risen: Take a portion of your dough when you have finished mixing it and put it in a small glass, mark the level of the dough on the glass using a rubber band and cover it. Place it in the same place as your main dough. Watch the glass till it has risen about double and your main dough is ready also. You can add this back to the main dough during the shaping process if you wish. You do not want to overproof your dough. If you do it will lack spring in the oven and may end up too dense/flat. If you find your final loaf is too flat, you can try moving to the shaping phase a bit before it doubles in size.
                      3. Remove dough from bowl and gently shape into a ball. Do not press hard. use some extra flour to keep dough from sticking to hands and counter.
                      4. Place into proofing basket and cover with plastc wrap. You can also place it on a sheet of parchment paper on a tray and cover with a bowl.
                      5. Let rest in basket for an hour.
                      6. Put (basket and all) in an airtight bag and put in refrigerator for 2 - 3 hours (can leave up to a day or so). This cools the gasses in the bread and then when you put the dough in the oven, the cold gasses will expand and open up the crumb of the loaf and give it extra rise.
                      7. When removing from basket, cover basket with some parchment paper and a tray and then flip basket over and gently remove from dough. You can just transfer the parchment paper to the baking tray when going into the oven.

Bake:
                      Preheat oven to 445F

Dutch oven method:
                      1. Preheat dutch oven for 30 minutes.
                      2. Place dough in hot dutch oven (no parchment paper in this method). Score bread.
                      3. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove lid, and bake 20 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 210-215F

Sheet pan method:
                      1. Preheat baking sheet and a deep metal pan/bowl for 30 minutes.
                      2. Pour 1 cup boiling water in metal pan and put on bottom rack.
                      3. Put dough and parchment paper on baking sheet, score bread, and place on middle rack in oven.
                      1. Bake for 25 minutes, remove water pan and let steam out and bake 20 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 210-215F.

video:

For the sourdough starter, you can use any sourdough starter and find recipes and videos on how to create one on the web. I use half white flour and half rye flour for my starter.
                      Here is a web page with good instructions:

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/7-eas...=pocket_mylist

Comment

• I made a Boston Cream Pie Pie today. Will let you know how it is.

I used a pre-made graham cracker crust, and a cooked vanilla pudding and pie filling mix. The recipe called for homemade crust, homemade pastry cream, and chocolate ganache. I did make the ganache, but was too lazy to make the other stuff.

Mr. mossy is fond of real Boston Cream Pie, but it's fiddly, so hopefully this will be passable. Certainly a lot easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          I made a Boston Cream Pie Pie today. Will let you know how it is.

I used a pre-made graham cracker crust, and a cooked vanilla pudding and pie filling mix. The recipe called for homemade crust, homemade pastry cream, and chocolate ganache. I did make the ganache, but was too lazy to make the other stuff.

Mr. mossy is fond of real Boston Cream Pie, but it's fiddly, so hopefully this will be passable. Certainly a lot easier.
                          It's pretty yummy!

I used a dark chocolate that I had on hand for the ganache, and next time I would be tempted to use a bit of unsweetened chocolate along with it. It's almost too sweet for my liking. But edible and certainly easy!

Comment

• **High Protein Ice Cream**
                            Been eating this quite a bit as of late. Only downside is you need a REALLY Good Blender (I got a Ninja recently with some Birthday Funds), but otherwise it tastes almost as good as regular ice cream... but for a fraction of the Calories. Seriously, the same volume of Chapman's, Ben & Jerry's, or Haagen Dazs would be almost five times the calories.

*MANDATORY Ingredients*
                            -300g frozen fruit (I use Strawberries, primarily, but I just bought some frozen mango)
                            -1 Serving of Protein Powder
                            -200ml Unsweetened Almond Milk (or milk substitute of choice)
                            -Pinch of Salt

**Optional Ingredients**
                            -Ice (Adding ice can increase the volume, but I feel like the flavor diminishes)
                            -Xanthum/Guar Gum (Quarter Teaspoon is all you need; you don't HAVE to add this, but it really does help thicken things up so it passes the DQ Blizzard Test)
                            -Greek Yogurt/Skyr (Adds some more protein and creaminess, and if it's flavored it also adds more flavor)
                            -Whatever fixings/toppings you want (Powdered Peanut Butter, Cinnamon, fresh fruit)

Directions:
                            1) Toss everything in the blender, and blend for 30-45 seconds.
                            2) Scrape everything down
                            3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 until it's all mixed together
                            4) Serve immediately.

It usually makes about a liter of 'ice cream,' and it's only about 400 Calories for the base recipe. A Liter of The Other guys would be almost 2000 Calories.

Eventually, I might try making either a Tiger Tail version of this (orange/black licorice), or a Blueberry Cheesecake (Low-Fat Cream Cheese and Frozen Blueberries).
                            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Lemon butter

1 stick butter
                              3 - 5 Tbsp lemon juice

Melt butter. Add lemon juice to taste. Mix well.

​​​​​​​Great on fish!
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Unless OBP already re-posted it earlier in the thread and I didn't notice, it doesn't look like I posted the recipe we got from my brother-in-law for a homemade cold remedy that from my understanding he got out of a magazine -- so I'm going to post it here totally from memory. Because we don't know the official name for it, I'm simply calling it...

Kyle's Cold Remedy

Ingredients:
                                2L bottle of cola (preferably zero-caffeine)
                                1/4 cup of lemon juice
                                a tablespoon of honey
                                a thumb-sized piece of ginger root, grated*
                                a teaspoon of aromatic bitters

* In advance, peel and freeze the ginger root so it'll be easier to grate on the fly.

Preparation:
                                Dump the entire bottle of cola into a large pot, and turn the heat up to maximum. Add the other ingredients, and bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat to minimum and simmer for half an hour. Remove from heat, let cool. Pour the mixture back into the original cola bottle through a strainer and funnel, and chill. Can be served hot or cold.

I like this stuff, despite the fact that I'm generally not crazy about cola.
                                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment