Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The tweb recipe thread

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    These are the best sugar cookies I have ever tasted. Got this recipe from a dear friend of mine.

Elaine's Sugar Cookies

3/4 c. butter or hard margarine
    3/4 c. white sugar
    1 large egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 c. flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. cream of tartar
    1/4 tsp. cardamon (optional, but the cookies aren't the same without it)
    1/4 tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg and vanilla, beat well.

Mix remaining ingredients in separate bowl. Stir into batter. Roll dough out 1/8 inch think of lightly floured surface. Cut out with desired cookie cutters.

Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 F for about 10 minutes. Cool and decorate.

Makes about 7 dozen cookies.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From Jade:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade
    Easy goulash

1 lb Hamburger
    16 oz Elbow Noodles
    2 cans Diced Tomates (w/ garlic, oregano, & basil)
    4 cans Tomato Sauce
    2 cans of Mushrooms (optional)

Brown hamburger (add salt and pepper if desired) and drain. Boil Noodles according to package directions and drain. Stir hamburger and noodles together. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and mushrooms (if desired). Heat to a boil then simmer up to 30 minutes for maximum flavor. Makes about 4-8 servings depending on your definition of serving.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From calvinistkid:
    Squirrel Tacos:

Shoot and clean 1-2 squirrels per person (depending on size). You may use a shotgun, but a .22 is preferable, because then you don't have to pick out bbs. Anything more powerful than a .22 can destroy too much of the meat. Boil cleaned squirrels for about 45 minutes. Pick meat off of bones and place in a frying pan with taco seasoning and a dash of oil (chicken taco seasoning works, because squirrel tastes a lot like chicken, but I prefer to use beef because of the stronger flavor of the squirrel). Place seasoned meat in either hard or soft taco shells, add cheese and lettuce, serve with refried beans and/or tortilla chips with salsa.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I see there are some of Mudgie's recipes there, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From Dr.GH:
    I prefer fish. Season 1 or two filets per person with ground cumin, salt and pepper.

Fry them in olive oil with a few shakes of jalepeno salsa. Break the filets into small pieces in a bowl.

Shred some cabbage and a few carrots. Dress them with mayo + vinegar + oregano + garlic and what ever else you want, (More hot sauce, and fresh lime juice are a good ideas).

Warn a bunch of corn tortillas in the oven. Bust open the beers and everyone makes their own soft tacos at the table.

Tonight:
    Make a pot of rice (I like to use Mahatma Saffron Yellow Rice).

Slice a salmon filet into strips about 1 1/2 wide (cut across the muscle fiber, ie top to bottom--dorsal to ventral) season with very much black pepper, ground cumin, ground garlic. Fry in olive oil at high heat to make a crust without over cooking the center. Drip some frsh lime juice when you take them off the heat.

Serve with a pile of rice across the plate with a salmon piece on top. Sliced tomato is good along the side.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From fundieRfunny:
    It's a cut and paste, but it is the same recipe that I use. And it is excellent(although I generally don't use vegetable broth, but rather chicken stock...)

Ingredients:

5 tablespoons olive oil
    3 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), sliced
    1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, diced
    1 large white onion, chopped
    4 14 1/2-ounce cans vegetable broth
    3 large garlic cloves, chopped
    1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
    8 slices sourdough bread
    1/2 cup chopped fresh chives or green onion tops
    Heat 4 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Add leeks, potatoes and onion. Sauté until onion is tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Add broth and bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until all vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Working in batches, puree 5 cups soup in blender. Return puree to soup in pot. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold. Cover and keep refrigerated.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir remaining 1 tablespoon oil and garlic in small skillet over low heat until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute; remove from heat and cool. Add cheese to garlic in skillet; toss to combine. Arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Spoon cheese mixture onto bread slices, dividing equally. Bake toasts until cheese melts, about 10 minutes.

Bring soup to simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle generously with chives. Serve, passing toasts separately.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From mossy (for best results, use The PinTM:
    This is my Mom's recipe. (She is going to be 85 next spring......you go, Mom!!). I have tweaked it a bit, and got it pretty good, but my son, MelMak, can make these absolutely killer! We have doubled the recipe, and doubled it again, since there's no point in making just a couple dozen of these. The recipe is easy to halve.

Cream 1 and 1/2 c. shortening, 1 c. white sugar, and 2 c. brown sugar until well blended. Add 4 tsps. vanilla, and 4 eggs. Beat these REALLY well, until VERY light and fluffy. (I usually turn the mixer on high and go away for 10 minutes, coming back to scrape periodically.)

Add 4 c. flour, 2 tsp, baking soda, and 1 tsp salt. Mix well. Stir in 12 oz. chocolate chips, or however many you want. (I also like to add a cup or so of chopped pecans or walnuts. We have also added toffee bits......you could add dried cranberries, the options are limitless).

Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes, or whatever works best with your oven. Enjoy. Before they're all gone.

MelMak also does another great rendition. He takes out 1/2 c. of flour and replaces it with 1/2 c. cocoa powder. Makes fabulous chocolate chocolate chip pecan/walnut cranberry toffee......cookies.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Rhubarb Crisp

1/2 c. butter
    1 c. sugar
    2 eggs
    1tsp. nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 1/2 c. dry bread crumbs
    2 cups Rice Krispies
    6 c. rhubarb

Blend softened butter and 1/2 c. of the sugar. Add eggs and bear well. Add nutmeg, vanilla, bread crumbs and cereal. Place rhubarb in a baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 c. sugar. Spread topping over. Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender.

A 9" cake pan is slightly too small for this, and a 9 x 13 is a little too big. I have a casserole that is about 10" and it seems to work okay.

Depending on the sweetness of your rhubarb, you may need more sugar thatn the 1/2 c. you sprinkle on. We have our own growing, and it is a variety with red skin, which I think is sweeter than those with green skins. So the 1/2 c. on top is usually sufficient for when I make this.

I serve it with ice cream or whipped cream. Good either way. And good the next day, too.

Enjoy!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    mossy, I"ll let you grab your own stuff then.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From "Cruiser":
    Quote Originally Posted by RTT
    In honor of the comming Season My favorite Cookie Recipe. As soon as I can find it I'll post my Lentil Soup reciepe.

Gingerbread cookies

Makes about 3 ½ dozen cookies.
    Preparation time about: 35 minutes
    Chilling time about: 2 hours or overnight
    Baking time: 10 -12 minutes
    Cooing time about: 40 minutes

Ingredients
    ¾ cup of vegetable shortening
    ¾ cup firmly packed Dark brown sugar
    ½ cup unsulfured molasses
    1 TBS water
    1 egg
    3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided
    2 tsps ground ginger
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    ½ tsp ground nutmeg
    ½ tsp ground cardamom(this is the only recipe I know that calls for this spice)
    ¼ tsp ground cloves
    ½ salt

1. In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat shortening brown sugar, molasses and water until well blended. Add Egg beat well. In medium bowl combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon nutmeg, cardamom, cloves and salt. With mixer at low speed, gradually add flour mixture to shortening mixture, beating just until blended. Divide Dough into quarters. Wrap each quarter in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.

2. Pre heat oven at 350 degrees. Spread 1 tbs flour on large sheet of place dough quarter on floured paper: flatten slightly with hands. Flip dough. Cover with another large sheet of waxed paper. With rolling pin, roll out dough ¼ inch thick.

3. Remove top sheet of waxed paper. With lightly floured cookie cutter cut our shapes. With large spatula. Transfer cookies to ungreased cookie sheets placing 2 inches across Repeat with remaining dough.

4. bake one cookie sheet at a time 10 to 12 minutes. Or until set. Cool 2 minutes. Remove cookies to racks to cool completely

5. Mean while prepare your favorite icing and in what ever colors you want to decorate. If so inclined you can place icing in pastry bag and pipe on to cookies.

11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.