Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From elysian:
    "Savory Rabbit with Noodles" Recipe

Ingredients:
    21/2-3 lbs. Pel-Freez Rabbit, thawed
    5 Garlic Cloves, crushed
    3/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    8 T. Butter

Savory Sauce

11/2 C. Chicken Broth
    1/4 tsp. Paprika
    1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
    3 T. Finely Choped Cilantro
    8 Garlic Cloves
    1/4 tsp. Salt
    1 T. Cornstarch
    8 oz. Egg Noodles
    1/2 C. Water

Instructions:
    Rub rabbit with crushed garlic cloves. In a heavy Dutch oven, heat butter. Saute' rabbit until brown, about 6 to 7 minutes on each side. Drain off remaining butter and set rabbit aside. To make sauce, combine broth, paprika, cayenne and cilantro. In a food processor, puree garlic with salt and add to broth. Pour over rabbit and bake in a 325F oven for 30 minutes, or until tender.
    Cook noodles according to to package directions and keep warm. Place rabbit on a platter and keep warm. Mix water and cornstarch and stir into broth. Cook until slightly thickened. Serve rabbit over cooked noodles and top with sauce. Serves 4.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

From Ice Angel:
      Chocolate Caramel Bars

Mix in a double boiler:
      14 oz pkg caramels
      1/2 cup evaporated milk

Mix:
      1 pkg German Chocolate Cake mix
      3/4 cup melted butter
      1/3 cup evaporated milk

Spread:
      1/2 cake mixture in a greased 9 x 13" pan. Bake for 6 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and sprinkle a 6 oz. bag of chocolate chips over the top. Let stand for a minute or two. Pour caramel mixture over the top. Then drop by spoonfuls the remaining cake batter over caramel and bake 16-18 minutes at 350.

Enjoy!!!!!!
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

From bandecoot:
        Welsh Rarebit

Ingredients:

* 1 cup grated cheese (your choice, but it must be cheese, not processed stuff)
        * 1-3 teaspoons mustard powder.
        * 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
        * 1/2 cup beer (English beer if you can get it, if not, anything but mass-produced US beer)

Directions:

1. Mix the first three ingredients and add enough beer to make a paste.
        2. Spread the paste on already toasted bread and put in the broiler until brown and bubbling.
        3. Remove and cool for a minute or two.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parma Ham Tart

Ingredients

1 sheet puff pastry
        2 medium onions, sliced very thin
        1 cup grated parmesan cheese. (Not prepackaged! Buy a block and grate it.
        1/2 cup of fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, basil, whatever, just not cilantro)
        8 ounces of Parma ham sliced thin, then cut into 1squares

Directions:

1.Lay the sheet of pastry on baking paper in a baking tray.
        2. Prick the pastry with a fork and brush or spray with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
        3.Pop in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
        4.Sauté the onions in more olive oil until just clear and set aside.

Assembly:

1.Once the pastry is chilled, spread the onions over it in an even layer then add half the herbs.
        2.Put the chopped Parma ham in a layer next and add the balance of the herbs.
        3.Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top and add a good amount of fresh ground pepper. Do not add salt at any point! The ham and cheese are salty enough.

Cook:

1. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. Cut into rectangles or squares as finger food or larger squares as an entrée.

Alterations:

1.Cut pastry circles and make tartlets.
        2.Add a beaten egg to the onions and place in a flan tray as opposed to a flat sheet.
        3.If you are so inclined, you could add some anchovies.

Caveat: I have tried to make this with mild cured hams and softer cheese, such as cheddar. Not very good! This is a robust dish with a lot of flavor.

Comments: This recipe was acquired from a restaurant in Sydney Called You and Me, now sadly defunct. Original Chef/ Owner Jenny Ferguson.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sole

Directions:

1. Don’t crumb it, but pan fry it in a light-flavored olive oil for a minute or two on each side just to color. Remove it to a plate and add some alcoholic apple cider (not soft drink/soda) or a dry white wine(about 125 ml or 5 oz) to the pan and reduce the volume to half, add pepper and as much garlic as you like.
        2. Return the sole to the pan at low heat and cook until done.

Variations:

1. Add cream just before serving.
        2. Add some shelled cooked prawns before serving
        3. Both of the above

Karachi Crayfish

Ingredients:

* 1 marron or lobster (1½ pounds)
        * 2 tbs butter or ghee (clarified butter)
        * 1 large onion, thinly sliced
        * 1 small onion, minced (very fine dice)
        * 2-inch piece of ginger, minced
        * 3 teaspoons cilantro seeds, crushed fine
        * 2 cups of chicken stock (stock cubes are okay, with 2 cups water)
        * A handful of blanched almonds (12 or so)
        * 1 cup sour cream
        * 1 teaspoon garam masala
        * 1/2 -1 cup of chopped cilantro leaves

Directions:

1. Get the meat out of the tail legs and claws of the crayfish (lobster)
        2. Put the head, shells, and cracked claws into the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
        3. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
        4. Strain and reduce the stock to about a cup.
        5. Cut the crayfish meat into 1-inch cubes.
        6 Heat the butter.
        7.Add the sliced onion and brown it.
        8.Add the minced onion, ginger, and coriander seeds.
        9.Add the stock.
        10.Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
        11 Add the garum masala and crushed almonds and stir in the sour cream.
        12.When blended, add the crayfish meat and warm it through.

Comments: Serve on a plate alone -- no rice. Sprinkle with the cilantro leaves. Serve rice separately.

Thanat (Burmese Cucumber Salad)

Ingredients:

* 3 large green cucumbers, peeled and seeded
        * 6 tablespoons of vinegar
        * 6 large onions
        * 10 cloves of garlic
        * 1/2 a cup of olive oil with a tablespoon of sesame oil added
        * 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds toasted
        * 1 teaspoon turmeric
        * 1 teaspoon salt
        * 1 teaspoon sugar

Directions:

1. Cut peeled and seed cucumber into bite sized bits and cook them in enough water to just cover with 3 tablespoons of vinegar until they are translucent.
        2. Drain.
        3. Put the oils in a pan and add the sliced onions and garlic cook until just starting to get crispy.
        4. Remove from the pan and drain on paper.
        5. Add the turmeric, sugar, and salt, and keep the heat on it whilst adding the last 3 tablespoons of vinegar.
        6. Pour the hot oil/vinegar mix over the cucumbers and then add the onion and garlic over the top and stir in gently.
        7. Let sit for 2 hours, covered.
        8. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve warm or at room temp.

Comments: This keeps for about a week in the fridge and this recipe is enough for 8 people.

Simple Hummus

Ingredients:

* Chickpeas
        * Tahini paste or sesame oil
        * Olive oil
        * Lemon
        * Garlic
        * Salt, pepper
        * Herbs, optional

Directions:

1. Soak 1 cup chick peas (or, if you must, 2 cans of ready-to-use chickpeas)
        2. Cook the chick peas until tender (length of time will depend largely on how long you soaked them, 40 minutes to 2 hours).
        3. Process the chick peas in a processor until coarse, and add a tablespoon of tahini paste (or 2 teaspoons of sesame oil).
        4. Add juice of half a lemon and the garlic. The amount of garlic is up to you (and garlic disdainers like our Carol may leave it out).
        5. Herbs can be added here.
        6. Process it up again until it starts to smooth out.
        7. Taste for seasoning and add what ever you think is missing.
        8. Add the oil gradually while processing until you get the consistency you like.
        9. Bottle in STERILE jars, and store in the fridge.

Yes people this is what we eat . they are all my recipes except where specifically noted.

Andrew

sigpic

Comment

More from bandecoot:
          Bread:

Basic recipe:
          1 kilo of flour
          1 pint of tepid water
          2 tablespoons of oil. vegetable ...not motor(dont laugh)
          smallish handfull of salt
          smallish hand full of sugar
          15 gms of dried yeast. 3 sachets.

mix the flour salt and sugar together
          sprinkle with the yeast
          add about a third of the water and start mixing as it dries out add more water
          Once all the water is in add the oil.
          its should have formed a ball by now, if not add a bit more water. (some flour is drier than others)

(this is the fun bit)
          Knead your dough, this is where my supervisor at uni cops her abuse and my boss at my second job.
          Use the heel of your strong hand to stretch the dough out then fold it back in, this should give you a good 10-15 mins of upper and lower arm workout time.
          Once the Dough has a silky texture its ready for proving. This is where you go find something else to do, like take a shower, or make a few posts on thanking me for an easy way to make yummy bread. its up to you, but in about an hour the dough should have dobled in volume. take it out of what ever you put it in and punch it a few times just to show it who is the boss, or to knock the excess air out of it. a light knead and its oven ready.

25-30 mins medium oven top shelf. when it sounds hollow its ready, you know your oven better than I do. What tin should you use? Up to you, if im in a rush I just form a ball, score it with a cross cut and put it on a Cookie sheet that has been oiled. If I want a loaf, I use a loaf tin, its a common sense thing , if you dont have the tin you need ...improvise. I have made rolls for a formal dinner in demi tasse coffee cups. Pretentious? Heck yeah, but the customer wanted to push the edge. I am just saying if it will take the heat you can bake in it.

Now this is just the basics. If you are going fancy and want a flavoured bread .. well add some herbs and cheese in during the mixing process, what ever you like. I like a few tablespoons of finely chopped herbs, a teaspoon of pepper, and a handfull of grated parmesan cheese. But nothing is set in stone, its what you think will taste good.

If you want a sweet bread double the sugar and add a little honey to your water add bits of dried fruit and spices like nutmeg and cinnamon during the mixing stage.

Its a bit time consuming, I know but once you get it right, its sooooo satisfying to put a collection of flavoured breads on the table with antipasto. There is also the smug feeling you get knowing that you can do it any time you like.

Andrew

sigpic

Comment

From Ice Angel:
            Taco Salad Dip

Need:
            8 oz. cream cheese
            8 oz. sour cream
            1 pkg of Taco seasoning
            Lettuce
            Tomato
            Black Olives
            Shredded cheddar cheese (or your fav type of cheese)
            Salsa
            Corn chips

Mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning until smooth and everything is well blended. Spread the mixture evenly on a serving tray or make individual plates. Top mixture with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and all your other favorite taco toppings.
            Serve with corn chips and enjoy!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Thanks, JohnnyP!
              Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Thanks! I'm going to copy over the recipes, in case the archived version gets pruned.
              You're welcome!

I'll throw in a skeleton recipe for one of my most favorite things to eat, rumaki, which is an appetizer of chicken livers and water chestnuts wrapped in bacon. Instead of liver you can use gizzards, other meats, tofu, mushrooms...

Needs a few cans of water chestnuts, tub of livers, pack of bacon, sauce, sugar.

1. Soak livers overnight in milk.
              2. Marinate livers, chestnut, bacon in teriyaki or soy sauce with some brown sugar for a couple hours.
              3. Wrap liver and chestnut in bacon, more or less of either as desired.
              4. Bake on 400°F about 1/2 hour, turning halfway through, sometimes I finish it off on the BBQ to get a smoky flavor.

You can use very thin kabob skewers to hold everything together and make them easier to manipulate while cooking.

Comment

From bandecoot:
                Sauces:
                These are where a lot of people quake with fear. But there are very basic sauces that can be made easily.

The basis of most cooked suaces is the Roux, this is a term that simply means equal amounts of flour and fat, cooked to a certain colour.

Example would be a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of Flour, which is cooked over a low heat until it reaches a certain colour, Blond and brown are the usual colours, if it goes black, start again

Blond is what it sounds like, the roux starts to go a pale straw colour, Brown is about the colour of hazelnuts.

At this point the liquid is added, this can be anything from milk to beef stock depending on what sauce you are making.

Brown stock is as follows:
                2 lb of shank or skirt beef
                2lb of chopped beef and veal bones
                2 carrots chopped
                2 onions peeled han cut in half
                2 stalks of celery with leaves if possible.
                Optional:
                2 cloves
                2 cloves of garlic unpeeled
                a bouquet garni. (a bundle of herbs Bayleaf and thyme being 2 most often used)

Put all the meat and bones plus the vegetables in a roasting tray and cook at mediuim heat for 30 mins or until browned. Deglaze the bottom of the roasting tray with water and scrape all the browned bits.
                Put all ingredients(including the Deglaze) into a large pan with the herbs (if used) and cover with cold water, bring this to a full boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer(the surface of the pan water should be just trembling) and simmer for 3 hours. strain into a clean pan and boil for 5 mins. let the pan cool with a lid on and when cold remove the solid fat on the surface.

A white meat stock is the same recipe but one omits the browning step.

Fish stock is similar but uses fishheads and frames and prawn shells and is only cooked for 20 mins

A vegetable stock is the same recipe with the addition of white wine and more root veges.

A white sauce is made by adding a pint of full cream milk a bit at a time to the Roux stirring all the time to avoid lumps. This goes on corned beef or fish depending on your preference.

The addition of grated cheese to a white sauce results in a bechamel. One of the componants of Lasagne and Canneloni.

If one adds a stock then a variety of sauces are possible.

From a brown stock if one reduces it by a third and adds a sweet wine one gets a madiera sauce. Add tomato paste and you get a greque sauce .

You get the idea. I hope.

The easiest of the sauces to make are simple reductions, also known as Jus. These are the fancy thin sauces that restaurant charge you an arm and leg for. They are simplicity in their making.

Take the pan in which you have just cooked you meal, be it a staek or a bit of chicken or fish and deglaze the pan with wine and stock, and reduce it by half stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Red wine and beef stock for beef, white wine and chicken or fish stock for the respective dishes.

Thats it, you can add some flavours like mushrooms or herbs as you see fit. But thats all there is to it.

Specific recipes on request, as sauces have whole books devoted to them.

sigpic

Comment

More from bandecoot:
                  Lets look at some of the other kinds of sauce/gravy.

Tomato:
                  At its most basic its simply tomato, cooked to a mush and strained. This is called Sugo. If you get great tomatoes, then you get a great end product. If not add some sugar. The problem is its not worth making in small quantities. 2 lb of tomatoes is about the minimum needed, but for a single person or a couple that would last 3 and 2 weeks respectively in the frige, but it does freeze very well.

Simple to make:

get in your tomatoes,the riper the better, in fact if they are starting to go a bit soft its even better still. chop them up fairly finely, and put them in a big pan with about a cup of water per 2 lb of tomatoes, and cook over a low heat until its a mush. Taste it to see if its sweet enough, if it tastes acidic add a tablespoon of sugar per 2 lb of tomatoes. Do not be tempted to add salt or pepper. you do that when you use it in a dish. This can be made while watching a football game, just give it a stir during the ad breaks.

If you have a blender, just dice them, blend them up and boil for 20 mins.

warning! If you intend to make a lot, make sure the bottles are sterile. Boiling water will do it. Plastic freezer tubs are pretty safe.

This is the basis for most pasta sauces/gravies. Its also great on pizza bases.

But then we need to to look at flavours, basil, onion and garlic are the usual starting points. this is about the cheapest and tastiest meal one can make. add a cup of Sugo to a pan with some of the above and while you are cooking the pasta heat up with the above flavors and when the pasta is done so is the sauce. Pour and serve.

Then there is the old standby, Putanesca (dont ask what it means)Sugo,anchovies, olives and chilli in a hot pan with a tablespoon of oil, and cook the blazes out of it until its less than half its original volume, just pour over pasta. Dead simple. If you like anchovies use a lot, if you hate them use a spicy sausage.

But you can use it for fish as well, add a little dill and fennel to the Sugo and just heat it up, when the fish is done, plate it up and pour over the sauce.

For a steak cook one side of the steak then pour over the Sugo on the uncooked side with what ever flavours you like in it, put a strip of thinsliced cheese on top and stick it in the broiler till the Cheese is Brown and bubbly, a simple salad nextdoor on a plate, bang! Instant dinner party dish. Or even better a quick cheap tasty meal.

Lemon juice garlic and butter plus a cup of Sugo can be used to cook an egg in. heat the sauce, add the flavours and add the egg and cook gently till the egg is done.

Then there is Spag Bog. The bane of the kitchen. Its messy and always bland.

But there is a variation:

1 lb of diced skirt or flank steak (1" cubes)
                  1 carrot
                  1 onion
                  2 sticks of celery
                  3 good sized cloves of garlic either chopped or just crushed.
                  3 oz of panchetta. Bacon will not do at all!
                  2 cups of Chanti or any reasonable red, Do not use really good wine in this.
                  3 birds eye chili peppers( no they are not optional)
                  2 cups of sugo plus a tablespoon of tomato paste.
                  A bouquet garni of a bayleaf a sprig each of thyme, tarragon and Rosemary tied together with string.

Dice the veges up very small, rice sized is good, but as small as you can get. and fry until soft then add the panchetta then the beef. Cook the beef until its brown all over and add the garlic and chili peppers. then add the sugo,paste and wine and put the bouquet garni in.

Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 hours or till the meat falls apart when poked with a fork. Take the Bouquet garni out after its done.

OK I admit this one is not cheap but the above is for 6 main course portions. It freezes well and can be used as a pasta sauce over Tagilatelle, as the meat componant in a lasagne, it can be thinned out with stock or water for a soup (add some fresh beans peas and some rice).

sigpic

Comment

I think I had a lemon cheesecake recipe in there, and my four-nut fruitcake, but I can only see up to about page 10.

If you find those recipes, OB One, will you repost them here?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I got this from Serve It Forth: Cooking with Anne McCaffrey, a collection of recipes submitted by SF writers.

1 small (~13 oz.) can chicken stock (When I cook a chicken in a crock pot, I let the resulting broth set in the refrigerator overnight, skim off the fat, and divide the broth into two-cup containers for freezing. Comes in handy for this recipe.)
                      3 oz. chardonnay (I've been using sauvignon blanc)
                      1/3 cup scallions, chopped (~3 medium scallions)
                      1 tablespoon olive oil
                      1 boned and skinned whole chicken breast (or 2 or 3)
                      1 tablespoon unsalted butter
                      1 cup white, long-grain rice (do not rinse) - basmati is my rice of choice
                      1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional, but I use it)
                      6 to 8 sliced mushrooms (optional, I leave them out)

Directions

Combine chicken stock, wine, scallions, and optional ingredients in 1-quart saucepan and bring to a boil (but don't allow to boil), then let simmer.
                      Meanwhile, heat a dutch oven (I use a pressure cooker) on medium-high until drops of water sizzle off immediately. Add olive oil and swirl until the bottom of the pot (and part-way up the sides) is thinly coated. Sauté chicken breast(s) 2 minutes on each side, frequently moving it about to make sure it doesn't stick. Remove chicken breast(s) and reserve on plate.
                      Keeping on medium-high heat, melt butter in dutch oven. Add rice and stir constantly and thoroughly until rice has turned a milky white - about 2 to 3 minutes (don't let rice brown).
                      When rice is sufficiently milky white, add simmering contents of saucepan (carefully ). Add sautéed chicken breast(s), cover tightly, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes (guess what I missed the first couple times I tried this ). Remove from heat and let stand for another 20 minutes (do not remove lid for the entire 40 minutes). Remove chicken, stir rice, and serve. Each chicken breast serves 2-3; rice serves 4-6. The rice can be made without the chicken, but the recipe for the rice can't be halved or doubled.

The chicken breasts should be at least 1/2 pound each, or they'll get dry. Use unsalted butter to avoid toughening the meat.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        I think I had a lemon cheesecake recipe in there, and my four-nut fruitcake, but I can only see up to about page 10.

If you find those recipes, OB One, will you repost them here?

I'll try to remember.

sigpic

Comment

From nomad:
                          chicken and vegetables with oyster sauce

you will need:
                          oyster sauce. thai is better than chinese but hard to get. if you have the 'panda' brand, it's ok and see if they have their 'premium' with the lady on the front. at least that seems pretty common.
                          soy sauce.
                          sherry (or other sweet cooking wine, the soy sauce already has a lot of salt so try not to use the 'salt added' kinds; i used vermouth last time and it came out fine)
                          sugar (brown or white).
                          touch of sesame oil.

mix these in a bowl, about 2:1 oyster to soy, and not too much sherry or sugar (maybe a tsp of sugar and tbsp of sherry per cup of mixture). cut up the chicken as desired (i usually slice it about 1/2" - 3/4" wide, in strips 2" long or so). marinate the chicken in the sauce (the longer the better; but an hour is usually sufficient if you don't have much time). You can also add hot chili oil if you want for some kick. (leave out the sesame oil, and add more than a touch, add to taste). You can also wait until near the end and add it there.

in the meantime:

vegetables

Choose your own. I usually put in broccoli (lots of this, use the blossoms, peel the trunks if you use them), some bok choi, carrots (sliced, you can buy them this way if you want), green onions (cut 1" pieces), bean sprouts, baby corn (my 2 year old LOVES baby corn), and straw mushrooms (you can use other kinds, but these are really good). These last two I usually have to get canned. I have also used cauliflower, leeks, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots, but don't usually. Throw them in a steamer with some ginger and garlic and steam them until cooked, about 20 minutes maybe? You want to avoid them getting soggy if possible, this seems to help. You can stir fry them instead if you like, but avoid mixing them with the meat at this point.

Next, you will need to cut up/peel some more ginger and garlic; i usually use about 4 cloves of garlic and a couple tablespoons I guess of ginger. Saute them in a small amount of sesame oil over medium/medium-high heat, then throw in the meat. You will get some sauce in there too, but you want as little as possible; you want to sear the meat good. When the chicken is done, turn the heat down and add the rest of the sauce. Simmer for a couple minutes; i usually add a little white wine at this point too. Throw the vegetables in, stir it together. Serve over steamed jasmine rice.

well, it's an attempt at least. i think that's everything I do.

sigpic

Comment

From bandecoot:
                            Cabbage rolls with beef,

1 lb Beef, ground
                            1/3 c Rice, uncooked
                            2 tb Butter
                            1 Onion, finely sliced
                            2 cloves of garlic crushed
                            1 Egg, well beaten
                            1 c Tomato soup
                            1 Lemon, juice of
                            1 ts Sugar
                            1 ts Parsley, minced
                            1/2 c Celery, chopped salt & pepper
                            6 Cabbage leaves

Instructions

DIRECTIONS ------------------------------------------------------------ Season the hamburger well with salt and pepper and add the egg. Mix well. Mix in rice. To make sauce, melt the butter and add the tomato soup and an equal amount of water and add to onion and garlic. Add the parsley, celery, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes. Wash the cabbage leaves and boil until tender. Put 2 Tbsp of meat mixture in each leaf and roll tightly. Secure each roll with a toothpick. Place in a saucepan and pour sauce over rolls. Cover pan tightly and cook slowly for 3 hours. Serve very hot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have made sugo see sauces above this, substitute that for the soup

sigpic

Comment

More from bandecoot:
                              Baba Ganoush:

An arabic dip

I snaffled this recipe from a Cookbook that an online acquaintance brought over from Saudi Arabia

1 1/2 lb Eggplant
                              3 tb Lemon juice
                              1 ts Salt
                              2 ts Minced fresh garlic
                              3 tb Sesame tahini(ground sesame seeds, you could use Sesame oil in the same quantities.)
                              (if you are allergic use sourcream or Greek style yoghurt)
                              1/4 c Chopped parsley
                              1/2 c Toasted pine nuts
                              2 tb Olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prick eggplant all over with a fork.
                              Bake whole until tender (about 30 minutes). Remove from oven, halve
                              and scoop out the flesh.

Alternatively you could slice it up and fry it, which is much quicker and gives a richer taste in my never humble opinion.

Blend in a food processor with the lemon
                              juice until smooth. Mash the salt and garlic together and combine
                              with the eggplant, along with the tahini. Cool and stir in the
                              parsley and pine nuts. Before serving, drizzle with the olive oil.
                              Serve as a dip with tortilla chips or triangles of flat (pita) bread.

For a lighter flavour use Zucchini
                              For a really meaty style dip puree some stongly flavoured mushrooms with the eggplant.

sigpic

Comment

More from bandecoot:
                                I came up with this 2 nights ago for sonme chicken wings.

1 tsp of Schezuan pepper
                                1/2 tsp black peppercorn
                                1 tsp rock salt

rind of 1/2 a lemon (chopped very finely)
                                Juice of one lemon.
                                1 clove of garlic

Grind the first 3 ingredients fine. and mix in the last 2.

marinade the wings or Breasts in this mix for a few hours and just cook in the oven. Till done of course. It was divine, so to speak.

sigpic

Comment