Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef heart stew

This was something I made up on the spot, so I didn't measure anything.

2 lbs (1 kg) or so of beef heart, cut up into ~1/2 inch strips
    1 quart beef stock, 1 quart water
    4 or so potatoes, cut up into ~1-inch chunks
    some peas, corn, green beans
    thyme, lemon pepper to taste (I used maybe 1 tsp each)
    parsley to taste (I used maybe 1 tbsp)
    a few stalks celery
    corn starch/flour for thickening
    salt to taste

In 4-quart cooking pot, add water, beef stock, strips of beef heart, thyme, lemon pepper, and parsley. Simmer for 1 hour.

Add potatoes, simmer for an additional 2 hours.

Add celery and vegetables, simmer for another half hour.

Add salt.

Bring to a boil, add thickener, stir for a minute or so, then remove from heat.

Carrots and onions would probably be nice to add, but I don't much care for them cooked so I didn't put them in. Wait to the end to add the salt, because it would only toughen the meat if added earlier (and beef heart is kinda tough to begin with). It didn't come out tough for me at all, so I'm assuming I did something right.

Edit: on second thought, it might be better without the thyme.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

From Aletheia:
      Creole Shrimp

Ingredients
      2 c. coarsely chopped celery
      2 c. coarsely chopped onions
      2 medium bell peppers, coarsely chopped
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      1 stick oleo
      2 medium cans tomatoes
      1 small can tomato paste
      2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
      1 tbsp. hot sauce
      2 pounds of deveined shrimp.

Simmer all ingredients for 30 minutes and then add the 2 pounds of shrimp. Can be served on top of rice.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

From St Catherine:
        Rum Raisin Bread

1/4 cup white rum
        1 cup raisins
        1/2 cup water
        2 cups bread flour
        1 tbsp powdered milk
        2 tbsp brown sugar
        1 tsp sea salt (or kosher salt)
        2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
        1 egg
        1 tsp light olive oil
        1.5 tsp dry active yeast (packet)
        1 tsp Cinnamon (optional)

Soak raisins in rum for an hour (note: overnight is even better).

Place all other ingredients into bread machine as usual (yeast into the yeast dispenser). If your machine has a fruit setting add raisins (drain off rum) at the signal, if no signal on your bread machine add about 5 minutes before kneading cycle is finished.

Take dough out of bread machine, shape into a loaf pan, let rise almost double and bake at 375 until bread sounds hollow...usually 30 minutes or so.

sigpic

Comment

From serapha:
          Ziploc Omelets
          (Lourdes' Kitchen)

2 eggs per person
          Cheese, shredded
          Ham, diced
          Onion, chopped
          Green Pepper, diced
          Tomato, diced
          Salsa

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker. Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) and shake to scramble them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shakes, Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water. Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

A co-worker tells me this is great for camping.

sigpic

Comment

From shunyadragon:
            Stir Fried Silk Crysillis and Catterpillars

1 kilo fresh live silk crysillis and catterpillars dropped in boiling water with a pinch of salt for five minutes and drained.

Heated several tablespoons soybean with a tablepoon ground hot peppers and a little salt. Stirfry the silk crysillis and catterpillars for about 8 minutes.

Serve hot with a Chinese dipping sauce made of dark vinegar, seseme oil, chopped garlic, chopped corriander, and a little soysauce.

sigpic

Comment

From bandecoot, for RTT:
              Here ya go RTT!

Brown Beef Stock.

2lbs. meaty beef bones (shank, short ribs, shin bones)
              2 lbs. cracked beef bones (knuckle)
              2 carrots, chopped
              2 celery stalks with leaves, cut into 2" lengths
              2 onions, sliced
              10 cups water
              1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
              1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
              1 bay leaf

Place all bones in a large roasting pan and roast at 450 degrees for 30 minutes. Stir well, then add carrots, celery and onions and roast for 45-60 minutes longer, until bones are very deep brown, stirring mixture occasionally.

Place roasted ingredients into a 8-quart stockpot. Spoon off fat from liquid in the roasting pan, then add 2 cups water to the drippings in roasting pan and heat and scrape to loosen any browned drippings. Add to pot along with remaining 8 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 1/2 hour. Skim off any scummy bits that rises to the surface. Add remaining ingredients and simmer partially covered for 5 hours. Adding boiling water to keep the level up. AT NO POINT ADD SALT.
              Remove bones. Strain the stock. Cool uncovered in refrigerator. Skim fat from stock before using. This stock will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator, or will freeze up to 6 months. Just use a cup measure and some freezer bags.

White Beef stock.

Exactly the same except you don’t roast the bones. And you boil it hard for 10 mins rather than reducing the heat straight off. It kills any little nastys on raw bones.

Chicken stock:
              1 4lb boiling fowl. Or chicken frames to the same weight
              I prefer the whole chicken for home cooking. Use 2 2lb chicken if you cant get a boiler.

I mirepoix: being,
              2 carrots, chopped
              2 celery stalks with leaves, cut into 2" lengths
              2 onions, sliced
              aromatics:
              10 cups water
              1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
              1/2 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
              1 bay leaf

Fry the Mirepoix is a little oil or butter in the bottom of the stockpot until the onion is just transparent and the carrots and celery have a little colour. Let this mix cool then add the water and the aromatics cold. Then plop your chicken in and bring to a rolling boil. Leave it go for 10 mins or so, then reduce to a bare simmer for about 4 hours. Adding boiling water to keep it at 10 cups.

Remove the chicken, strain the stock let it cool and chill to set the fat. Take off as much or as little as you like. Freeze in 1 cup portions.
              Fish stock:

4 lbs of fishframes and shrimp shells (fishbits)

1 Mirepoix
              2 carrots
              2 sticks of celery
              an onion

10 cups 2.5 liters of water

fry off the mirepoix as per the other recipes add fishbits and bring to the boil and the reduce the heat and simmer for no more that 40 mins.

Leave the stock to cool covered with the fish still in it. This takes the place of the longer simmer times for the other stocks. If you over cook this stock it goes bitter. Once it’s cool remove the fishbits and strain.

Portion and freeze as per the others

You will note that none of these recipes contain salt, or garlic. These are base ingredients. You season them when you use them for a meal. If you choose to reduce some to a glaze later it WILL be too salty.
              They may taste a little bland, that’s fine, they are supposed to. Stock is an ingredient not a meal.

Minor tips: how fine to you dice the mirepoix? As fine as you like its going to be cooking for hours, it will be mush anyway. Except for the fish stock, dice that really fine in fact you could probably grate them in. A bit of colour means starting to brown a bit, not going black.

sigpic

Comment

From serapha, Easter cookies:
                To be made the evening before Easter

You need:

1 cup whole pecans
                1 tsp. Vinegar
                3 egg whites
                Pinch salt
                1 cup sugar
                Zipper baggie
                Wooden spoon
                Tape
                Bible

Preheat oven to 300 degrees (This is important-don't wait until you're half done with the recipe)!

Place pecans in zipper baggie and let children beat them with the
                wooden spoon to break into small pieces.

Explain that after Jesus was arrested, He was beaten by the Roman
                soldiers.

Read John 19:1-3.

Let each child smell the vinegar.

Put 1 tsp. Vinegar into mixing bowl.

Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross, He was given vinegar
                to drink.

Read John 19:28-30.

Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life.

Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life.

Read John 10:10-11.

Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our own sin.

Read Luke 23:27.

So far, the ingredients are not very appetizing.

Add 1 cup sugar.

Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because
                He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him.

Read Ps. 34:8 and John 3:16.

Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed. Explain that the color white Represents --in God's eyes -- the purity
                of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus.

Read Isa. 1:18 and John 3:1-3.

Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper-covered cookie
                sheet.

Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body
                was laid.

Read Matt. 27:57-60.

Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven
                OFF.

Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.

Explain that Jesus' tomb was sealed.

Read Matt. 27:65-66.

GO TO BED!

Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven
                overnight. Jesus' followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.

Read John 16:20 and 22.

On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie.

Notice the cracked surface and take a Bite.

The cookies are hollow!

On the first Easter, Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.

Read Matt. 28:1-9

sigpic

Comment

From Aletheia:

Tomato and Lentil Dahl with Toasted Almonds

Richly flavored with spices, coconut milk and tomatoes, this lentil dish makes a filling supper. Warm naan bread and plain yogurt are all that are needed as accompaniments. Split red lentils give the dish a vibrant color, but you could use larger yellow split peas, instead, if you wish.

2 tbsp vegetable oil
                  1 large onion, finely chopped
                  3 garlic cloves, chopped
                  1 carrot, diced
                  2 tsp cumin seeds
                  2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
                  1 ince piece fresh ginger root, grated
                  2 tsp ground turmeric
                  1 tsp mild chili powder
                  1 tsp garam masala
                  1 cup split red lentils
                  1 2/3 cups water
                  1 2/3 cups coconut milk
                  5 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
                  juice of two limes
                  4 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
                  salt and ground black pepper
                  1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

1 - Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan. Saute the onion for 5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, carrot, cumin and mustard seeds, and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring until the seeds begin to pop and the carrot softens slightly.

2- Stir in the ground turmeric, chili powder and garam masala, and cook for 1 minute or until the flavors begin to mingle, stirring to preven the spices burning.

3 - Add the lentils, water, coconut milk and tomatoes and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the lentils sticking.

4- Stir in the lime juice and 3 tbsp of the cilantro, then check the seasoning. Cook for 15 minutes more until the lentils soften and become tender. To serve, sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and the slivered almonds.

sigpic

Comment

From bandecoot, for Meh_Gerbil:
                    Vegetarian stuff for Poor hungry gerbils( and others)

Nasi goreng. The proper way.

4 c Long-grain rice

8 Shallots or 1 small onion grated
                    4 Red chillis or 2 tsp chilli -powder and 2 tsp paprika
                    An inch knob of Ginger or Galangal, grated
                    4cloves of garlic
                    half a teaspoon of blachan, or 3 good sized anchovy fillets.
                    Salt

Optional 2 teaspoon of a masala made up from cinnamon, cumin, Cilantro seeds, pepper. fenugreek, turmuric and mustard seeds in roughly equal proportions. Ground fine . How you do it is up to you I use a coffee grinder

2 ts Sweet soya sauce (Kecap manis) failing that ordinary soy with a sprinkle of sugar
                    2 ts Tomato ketchup
                    4 tb Vegetable oil

Directions
                    Boil the rice a while before you intend to fry it; you can fry freshly boiled rice, but the Nasi Goreng will be better if the boiled rice is allowed to cool. Two hours is about right but overnight is fine. An important point to note here is that rice for Nasi Goreng must be cooked with the least possible quantity of water; this prevents it from becoming too soft. For 1 cup of rice, use 1 cup of water. Personally I use a rice cooker. Once the rice is cooled you are ready to go.

Now make a paste out of the ingredients except the sauces.(masala is optional but I like it) Get your wok nice and hot and fry the paste in the oil until it smells good. Then put the rice in a cup at a time stirring the whole time (that’s why its called stirfry) once the rice is evenly coated with the paste and starting to get some colour add the sauces, mix through and serve.

You can leave out a cup of rice and add lentils instead.

Now for Mie Goreng use the paste but add cooked rice noodles instead of rice.

Or you can omit the frying stage for the noodles, the paste still has to be cooked but instaed add 4 cups of vegetable stock ...Maessel make a good range of vegetarian stock powders that taste like meat if one wants a beefy flavoured vegetarian soup.

Spiced Potatoes.

a pound of potatoes cut into chunks an inch or a bit bigger.
                    A mix of Black mustard, cumin seeds, fenugreek, cardamom seeds and paprika in equal quantities. ( I make this up in bulk because I use this mix a lot)
                    A teaspoon of crushed garlic.

Steam or boil the spuds, and let them cool off.

In a dry pan cook the spice mix until it starts to pop. then add half a cup of vegetable oil to the pan and lower the heat. let the oil heat to a good temp.

Add the spuds to the oil mix and cook them until crisp all over with bits of spice stuck to them. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with a salad.

Stir Fried carrots:

250 g (8 oz) carrots
                    4 Shallots or a medium red onion
                    3 Cloves garlic
                    1 Green or red chilli or 2 Teaspoons of chilli powder
                    1 ts Dark(Mushroom) soya sauce and 4 tb -water
                    2 tb Vegetable oil, butter or Preferably Ghee (Clarified butter)

Directions

These are carrots, cut into matchsticks and cooked in a little oil or butter.

Peel, wash, and cut the carrots into small sticks about 3 times the thickness of a matchstick and about twice as long. Slice the shallots and chilli thinly and on a diagonal. Slice the garlic in thin slices.

In a wok, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil or clarified butter. Saute the sliced shallots and chilli for about a minute or until they take a little colour, then add the garlic and the carrots. Stir for a minute or so and then put in the soya sauce and water. Cover and continue to cook for 4 minutes. Uncover, taste, and add salt if necessary. Cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring all the time. Serve hot.

Serves 2 as a side dish

Chickpea Pancakes
                    1 1/4 c. chick pea flour (Channa Dhal)
                    1/2 t salt
                    1/2 t cayenne pepper
                    1 small red onion, very finely chopped
                    2 -inch piece of ginger, very finely chopped
                    4 jalapenos, very finely chopped
                    5 garlic cloves, minced
                    2 T chopped Coriander Roots and leaves( cilantro)
                    3 T oil

Directions
                    Place chick pea flour in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup water and stir to make a smooth batter. Add the salt, cayenne, onion, ginger, chiles, garlic, and cilantro. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes.

Place 1/2 t of oil in a large skillet (preferably non-stick) over medium heat. Stir once and place about 1/3 cup batter into center of skillet. Tilt pan to spread (as if making a crepe). Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Turn over and cook, uncovered, for one more minute; should be golden. Repeat with remaining batter, stirring before using.

This one I got from one of Mrs Coots Indian workmates.

Rice and Chinese Black Beans:

2 cups of rice cooked in 2 cups of vege stock or miso soup with 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
                    when the rice is 3/4 done, mash 3 tablespoons of Chinese salted black beans and mix them into the rice evenly. Continue to cook until the rice is done.

You could also add thin sliced chile into the mixture just before it done but thats optional.
                    A very pretty dish this one

Tomato salad 1

A pound of good sweet tomatos sliced.
                    a bunch of fresh basil leaves
                    1 teaspoon of Balsamic vinegar
                    4 teaspoons Extra Virgin olive oil
                    Pepper to taste
                    salt

alternate a slice of tomato and a basil leaf on a plate until you have used up the lot. spinkle with a little salt or soy sauce.
                    mix the vinegar and oil in a sealable jar and shake well. evenly spinkle over the salad and grind pepper over. If the tomatos are not sweet enoug add half a teaspoon to the dressing

Tomato salad 2

Equal proprtions tomato and cucumber diced fine. 1 tomato per person is my rule of thumb.
                    half as much onion as above
                    Half a teaspoon of the spice mix mentioned above ground fine. Per tomato
                    juice of half a lemon that more or less stays the same tste and add more it you like
                    a tablespoon of peanut oil increase if needed for larger quantities

Mix the lot together and stand in the fridge for a few hours. (complex is it not?)

Is this enough?

sigpic

Comment

General advice from bandecoot:
                      This thread is not really a collection of recipes. This is more a guide for the younger or less experienced people to help save them time, money and more importantly to make good food. By simply having the correct ingredients at hand.

The store cupboard should contain the following;
                      Rice, basmati or Jasmine 4 lbs at minimum
                      Rice Arborio 2 lbs
                      Beans (your preference here obviously) I have 3 kinds 2 lbs each
                      Lentils, I like red ones but the blue Puy lentils are not bad either.2 lbs
                      Canned tomatoes. I keep a half dozen cans
                      Oil. I use a light olive oil for most things but peanut is good I buy a 10 litre can when they are on special
                      Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Separated out because it is different. a pint
                      Vinegar, I use a variety but for simplicity just get White wine vinegar. a big bottle. Just get a good one.
                      Balsamic Vinegar Just a normal bottle
                      Stock cubes Beef, chicken and ham. ( I deal with fresh stocks elsewhere this is basics) About a dozen of each

These are the basics that form the basis of most recipes. With just the above you could eat quite well, if a touch monotonously.

The pantry should contain most if not all of these
                      Parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme. The Scarborough fair collection.
                      Coriander seeds
                      Basil
                      Oregano
                      Mustard seeds Black or yellow, I prefer black but that’s just a matter of taste.
                      Cumin
                      Fennel
                      Whole black peppercorns
                      A variety of Chile powders and flakes
                      Nutmeg
                      Cinnamon quills
                      Salt
                      Soy Sauce
                      Honey
                      Sesame seeds and oil Tahini as well if you can find it.
                      Curry powder ( this is contentious as you can make a masala out of the above)

Ethnic stores tend to be the best place to buy spices cheap, dont be afraid to buy in bulk or to ask what something is. You might find a use for those glass coffee jars you have been tossing out.

Fresh Necessaries would be;
                      Lemons
                      A few limes
                      Garlic( prepacked or fresh it matters not a lot)
                      Ginger

Once you have the above in the house you can open any cookbook from pretty much any region of the world and turn out a decent meal in an hour tops.

One quick example. 2 chicken stock cubes 3 cups of water set to boil on the stove then reduced to a simmer. While you are waiting put some rice in the cooker or take last nights rice out of the fridge and drop it in the stock add a handful of frozen peas and a teaspoon of curry powder. 6 peppercorns cracked added with the peas, when the peas and rice are done and heated through it’s ready. Add some bread and a salad you got a nice meal in less time than you might think.

Whats it called? Dutch curry soup. How long does it take? Depends if you have to cook the rice first. But about 18 mins maximum, if you have cold cooked rice on hand 10 mins. It also cost about a dollar if you leave out the salad

The trick is to buy ingredients, not meals. If you have stuff on hand its simplicity itself.
                      Planning meals is a good idea if you are on a tight budget. That way you can sit down with your spouse one evening and pick out the weeks main meals in advance and only buy the fresh produce for those meals. Or if single based on what you like or if you have a date coming over to watch movies or something. Nothing impresses like a fresh made pizza. Just remember to clean up after because nothing says "flee like a startled deer" to a woman than a messy kitchen.

Now that we have a complete Larder set up and ready to go, what do we do with it?
                      You may have to do a little reading. I use the best culinary dictionary in the world, bar none. Larrouse Gastronomie It was as pricey as heck but worth every penny.

You don’t know what Chiffonade, sauté or En Colere mean? They are there, with recipes.
                      Then you will need a few cookbooks, I would recommend anything by Elizabeth David, Jane or Sophie Grigson, James Beard American Cooking 3rd edition is another I would heartily recommend. If you can find it Ainsley Herriots Cooking for family and friends is worth a look.

Or you can totally ignore what I suggest and continue wasteing your money on insipid garbage. It is up to you.

sigpic

Comment

More from bandecoot:
                        Mayonnaise: 2 versions one simple the other simple but more classical.

Blender Mayo:

about half a pint of Peanut oil
                        2 eggs
                        a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice
                        A teaspoon of mustard.

add the last 3 ingredients in a blender and mix them up.
                        put the blender on the lowest setting

Then add the oil in a thin drizzle until it emulsifies.

Classical Mayo.

about half a pint of Peanut oil
                        2 egg yolk.
                        a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice
                        A teaspoon of mustard.

add the last 3 ingredients in a bowl and mix them up with a whisk.

Then add the oil in a thin drizzle, whisking the whole time until it emulsifies.

Hard aint it?

Any vegetable oil will do, I just like peanut oil.

If you add crushed garlic it becomes Aioli.
                        If you add a crushed up cooked egg yolk initially in addition to the raw ones and add chopped capers and Dill pickles after its done It's Remoulade.

BTW for those who buy 99% fat free Mayo, I have a hint for you ......It's not Mayo. I dont know what it IS but its not mayo.
                        I've made mayo before. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

sigpic

Comment

From norwegen:
                          FRUIT LASSI

A cool, easy summertime refreshment.

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup or so fresh fruit (mango is best, I think, but try bananas, too, or experiment with other fruits)
                          1/2 cup low-fat yogurt
                          3 tbs sugar
                          about a dozen or so ice cubes

Make sure fruit is in small, manageable pieces for a blender. Blend all ingredients together. Serve immediately.

sigpic

Comment

From mentored1:
                            Chickin' Casserole

This is for a small serving, double or triple is recommended

Recommended components:
                            - 1 box Stove-Top Chicken or Turkey Stuffing (your choice)
                            - 1/2 lb. Boneless Chicken Breast
                            - 8 oz. of Shredded Cheese (Cheddar and Monterey Jack; or Velveeta)
                            - Medium Skillet, Medium Sauce-pan, Medium-sized casserole pan (glass is good)

1. Cut Chicken into small pieces; cook in skillet with olive oil
                            Add some garlic and onion seasoning if desired (small amount)

2. Cook stuffing, add extra butter (2x box recipe)
                            Follow box directions, set away from heat when finished

3. When Chicken is lightly browned scoop into Stuffing pan
                            Mix Chicken and Stuffing contents well

4. Empty Stuffing/Chicken mix into casserole pan, spread evenly
                            Cover top with cheese, add more if desired or needed to cover surface

5. Bake in Oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until cheese fully melted
                            Remove from Oven and serve

- Cutting a piece and mixing it in a bowl to blend the stuffing, chicken, and cheese is particularly tasty.

sigpic

Comment

Salad recipe from mossy:
                              4 c. baby spinach
                              4 c. mixed baby greens
                              2 c. sliced strawberries
                              1 can mandarin orange slices, well-drained
                              1/2 c. toasted chopped pecans (I used walnuts cuz I didn't have any pecans)
                              1 and 1/2 c. cubed cooked chicken

Toss together. Add 1/4 c. raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

Okay, I like it with the raspberry vinaigrette, but I tried a new Kraft dressing, Asian Sesame, and it is WAY better with the sesame dressing. I also threw in a couple of handfuls of Chinese noodles, you know, those ones that come in a cello bag that are fried, or however they cook them.

And, I served the dressing on the side. That way the leftovers last longer, and people can control the amount of dressing they want to use.

This is a pretty big salad. Recipe says it serves 4, but it would do 6, I am sure.
                              Remembering which recipes you've posted and which you haven't is proving to be too much for my little piggy brain, so I'll just post away.

sigpic

Comment

More general advice from bandecoot:
                                Things to cook in

This is more advice than anything else, it is mostly common sense.

But to start with saucepans. These are expensive no way around it if you buy them new.
                                Secondhand shops however sell pans for very little money.

You need about half a dozen of various sizes from 10 litres down to half a litre . Here is a secret….they don’t have to match.

Don’t buy boxed sets if they don’t have examples out. A pan should be bottom heavy.
                                You might consider a baking tray for those roasts and some Corning ware gratin dishes.

Knives:

Is $5000 out of your range? Yep mine too. So don’t buy a Wusthof chef kit.
                                Go to your local Chinatown. Buy the following.

A cleaver.
                                A 30 cm chefs knife
                                A 10 inch chefs knife
                                A 3 inch paring knife.
                                A sharpening steel.
                                a potato peeler

No really, that’s all you need to start with. While you are there get one of those sets with a masher and a mallet and some spoons and spatulas.

Pick up 4 polyurethane chopping boards as well. (wood looks nice but it’s harder to get clean)

Oh and a wok.

A couple of heavy bottomed frying pans and you are pretty much done.

This is only for those starting from scratch. If you are moving out of home your mother and her friends might even donate stuff. Yard sales are prime hunting grounds.

Some options

A pressure cooker. The Ur Microwave.
                                If you must, a crockpot. Although the only use I have ever found for them is making yoghurt.

sigpic

Comment