Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Candied ginger in a fruitcake sounds yummy!
    I agree. Sadly, that was one of the things I had to substitute... I'm definitely going to have to get my mitts on some next time. Given the aforementioned dynamic nature of these recipes, I'm very much willing to experiment with the fruit combinations.

I would leave out the booze and use orange juice instead, though.

The alcohol content in the rum goes away as it's cooked (leaving nothing but the flavor), but it's perfectly understandable if you don't want to add the booze.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• I have a great recipe from NZ that my sister gave me that I change up all the time depending on how I feel and what I can find.

With cranberries and blueberries and other dried fruit available nowadays it is easy to experiment.

And I don't like the taste of booze, hence my rejection of it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Canadians actually EAT fruit cake?

In the USA we use them as gag gifts and weapons of mass destruction. Just set them on fire and toss them through a window.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Canadians actually EAT fruit cake?

In the USA we use them as gag gifts and weapons of mass destruction. Just set them on fire and toss them through a window.
          Yes, well, rioting does seem to be a way of life down there, doesn't it.

My recipe is a light cake, only in the sense that the batter is light. I actually had to double the batter part of the recipe so there would be enough to hold all the fruit and nuts together.

Sort of like what my job is like around here...

I haven't made it for a few years, and should again.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• I like fruit cake...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              I like I'm a fruit cake...
              Fify.

Comment

Fify.
                We all know you're a fruit cake, Dear. But could you please learn to not use the Reply box when talking about yourself?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  We all know you're a fruit cake, Dear. But could you please learn to not use the Reply box when talking about yourself?
                  Is that your only strategy? To turn around anything anyone says and claim it is about them? Were you obsessed with Rubber and Glue in school?

I think your cats have infested your food supply.

Comment

Is that your only strategy? To turn around anything anyone says and claim it is about them? Were you obsessed with Rubber and Glue in school?

I think your cats have infested your food supply.
                    It's not my fault you do so much projecting...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• I am not seeing many recipes on this page.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Candied ginger in a fruitcake sounds yummy!
                        Candied ginger is just yummy. I like to have some around at Christmas time, even though the only one who eats it is me.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Canadians actually EAT fruit cake?

I love fruitcake. I had once upon a time a sample of some flourless fruit cake that was wonderful. I tried a couple of recipes over a couple years, but I have yet to get the recipe down.

ETA: Fruitcake to me should be heavy, very heavy.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            I love fruitcake. I had once upon a time a sample of some flourless fruit cake that was wonderful. I tried a couple of recipes over a couple years, but I have yet to get the recipe down.

ETA: Fruitcake to me should be heavy, very heavy.
                            yeah but you are practically a Canadian. Must have something to do with Ice and Snow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Candied ginger is just yummy. I like to have some around at Christmas time, even though the only one who eats it is me.
                              That!

My Dad's favourite candy was dark chocolate covered ginger, and several of us children got hooked on it. It was a special Christmas treat, and although my son loves it, my daughter does not care for it.

I have used it (not chocolate covered) in a nutmeg spice muffin recipe that I have, and it certainly is terrifically yummy all by itself!
                              Last edited by mossrose; 12-10-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Recipe links: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/desserts/cakes/fruitcake/

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment