Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Atkins and me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atkins and me

So I found out I have a serious issue with dairy, wheat, and inflammatory bowel disease. Oh I also have early Arthritis and Fibromyalgia along with other things. I looked and looked and looked around, and it seems like the best way for me to avoid "trigger" foods was to eat according to the Atkins 40 plan with some minor modifications. Absolutely NO dairy except for Kefir, (switching to goatmilk version as soon as I can get to trader joes) Allowing for fruits, unsweetened tart juices, and minimal grain of any kind. I did find in a weeks time, a drastic loss of bloating, and some minimal changes in my knee pain. I plan to continue and have seen a clearing of a skin infection, due to a prompt change in the way I was eating.
    My question is, has anyone else eaten in an "Atkins" fashion? does it offer changes for them? And does it work in the long run?
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

That's a bummer--but it's hard to argue with results. If it works, then it works.

Me, no, thankfully I don't have those issues. Mostly replying so as to subscribe.

Question: on the dairy products, is it all dairy or is stuff like aged cheese ok? I'm not sure if it's the lactose that is the problem or the cow itself.
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Cath, I find the Paleo diet a better and more healthful alternative for some of those issues. No sugar, no grain, lots of protein veg and fruit, some nuts.

Comment

You need an optimal level of fats of the right kinds, an optimal level of carbs, and an optimal level of protein. I have no idea what those levels are for you; you will have to experiment somehow.
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I have used the Atkins plan several times and I usually lose 15 - 20 lbs on it. And I usually feel better, but in the early stages, as your body changes from burning glucose/carbs for energy to stored fat, you will find your self feeling times where you are tired and have lower energy levels until you adjust to it. If you are a carboholic, then it's really hard to do...esp in the first couple of weeks.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
            That's a bummer--but it's hard to argue with results. If it works, then it works.

Me, no, thankfully I don't have those issues. Mostly replying so as to subscribe.

Question: on the dairy products, is it all dairy or is stuff like aged cheese ok? I'm not sure if it's the lactose that is the problem or the cow itself.
            Cheese is as hard on my gut as milk. So are bread products baked with cows whey protein. Recently I have had problems with foods that were themselves "non dairy" but contained sodium caseinate. I switched immediately from creamers to rice and coconut milk which eliminated the issue. Some of the problems came back later and I noticed I was still eatig bread with whey derivatives. So I stopped that....
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have done the Atkins a couple of times.
              Though, I usually have ended it around the holiday season in Nov-Dec.

I did finally find that the lemon juice (at Smart and Final) could be used with Stevia to get a low carb drink. I always was having trouble finding things to drink.

Usually I could replace a desire for carbs by just having hamburger patties to get past the hunger. But I also did like the opportunity to have cheese too.

Eggs are not a problem for you?
              Last edited by mikewhitney; 02-21-2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

Eggs are not a problem for you?
                Nope, and I'm glad, I eat them daily for the Amino Acids the fat and the Protein.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Catholicity, have you looked into paleo? It is similar to Atkins but has better success as it is stricter a few great places to look into it is http://robbwolf.com/ and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz3SiYRLYBg I have had a lot of success with it

Comment

I've done low carb and it went well for about three years then i couldn't maintain it any longer.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      I've done low carb and it went well for about three years then i couldn't maintain it any longer.
                      You then increased the carb part of your diet? How did that work out for you? Some sugar (not too much fructose anyway), some people need. (Of course, to avoid sugar spikes, should combine with the right kinds of fat.)
                      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                        You then increased the carb part of your diet? How did that work out for you? Some sugar (not too much fructose anyway), some people need. (Of course, to avoid sugar spikes, should combine with the right kinds of fat.)
                        You know TS I think you are getting Fructose and highly processed filtered sugar confused. Fructose in its Whole form is the sugar found in fruits. You need Fructose when it is in its fruit bound form, the body can easily convert it into glucose. However it should not be consumed when it has been modified. (fructose is also found in cucumbers tomatoes avocados and squash, what is also biologically a "fruit.") Fruits are remarkably high in fiber and have certain nutrients and antioxidents that are simply not found in other places. You wouldn't consume too much of them as it would tax the pancreas much in the same way refined sugar does and you certainly wouldn't want to consume HCFS. Its also the bulk sweetener in raw honey.
                        If Fructose is so bad then eating all fruits is bad. same thing with other unrefined sugars. We might as well eat nothing but.......nothing. I think the food I consume someone will find something wrong with tomorrow.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          You know TS I think you are getting Fructose and highly processed filtered sugar confused. Fructose in its Whole form is the sugar found in fruits. You need Fructose when it is in its fruit bound form, the body can easily convert it into glucose. However it should not be consumed when it has been modified. (fructose is also found in cucumbers tomatoes avocados and squash, what is also biologically a "fruit.") Fruits are remarkably high in fiber and have certain nutrients and antioxidents that are simply not found in other places. You wouldn't consume too much of them as it would tax the pancreas much in the same way refined sugar does and you certainly wouldn't want to consume HCFS. Its also the bulk sweetener in raw honey.
                          If Fructose is so bad then eating all fruits is bad. same thing with other unrefined sugars. We might as well eat nothing but.......nothing. I think the food I consume someone will find something wrong with tomorrow.
                          I have no quarrel with you.

As for the need to have a diet that is special to you, I read today that some eczema victims have to limit their intake of saturated fats, even though I believe they benefit most people. BACON!!

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                            So I found out I have a serious issue with dairy, wheat, and inflammatory bowel disease. Oh I also have early Arthritis and Fibromyalgia along with other things. I looked and looked and looked around, and it seems like the best way for me to avoid "trigger" foods was to eat according to the Atkins 40 plan with some minor modifications. Absolutely NO dairy except for Kefir, (switching to goatmilk version as soon as I can get to trader joes) Allowing for fruits, unsweetened tart juices, and minimal grain of any kind. I did find in a weeks time, a drastic loss of bloating, and some minimal changes in my knee pain. I plan to continue and have seen a clearing of a skin infection, due to a prompt change in the way I was eating.
                            My question is, has anyone else eaten in an "Atkins" fashion? does it offer changes for them? And does it work in the long run?
                            You should definitely check out Krill Oil as well. It is great for reducing inflammation, and is VERY good for you. If you are dealing with arthritis, I'd up the dosage a little.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X