Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is ordination of women to be Pastors [Overseer/Bishop] orthodox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yup, I still think the evidence is awful weak, but I'm happy to look at it before I pitch a screaming fit and shout it down.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      This is not at issue. Women in ministry roles. Women have been prophets too.
      And Judges.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yup, I still think the evidence is awful weak, but I'm happy to look at it before I pitch a screaming fit and shout it down.
        Lol. I hear ya. Though you don't seem like the screaming type...
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
          Lol. I hear ya. Though you don't seem like the screaming type...
          Nope. I dont' need to scream - I got a shotgun, a shovel, and 40 acres. They will never find the body!

Comment

Nope. I dont' need to scream - I got a shotgun, a shovel, and 40 acres. They will never find the body!
            You forgot the lye. So yeah, you will probably get caught.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

You forgot the lye. So yeah, you will probably get caught.
              - ain't nobody can get back there without passing Horace - and he's ornery, even for a bull.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                In reference to female authority figures within the early church, Mark Goodacre has a terrific (8 minute) podcast episode on the Apostle Junia mentioned in Romans 16:7.
                Junia is not said to be an Apostle. But was well known by them.

"Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives [or, close companions] and my fellow-prisoners, who are well-known by [or, among] the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me." -- Romans 16:7 Analytical-Literal Translation
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

OK, get your rocks and stones ready.....

1 Tim 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
                  "woman" read "wife." "man" read "husband."

Now you can throw some rocks.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Junia is not said to be an Apostle. But was well known by them.

"Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives [or, close companions] and my fellow-prisoners, who are well-known by [or, among] the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me." -- Romans 16:7 Analytical-Literal Translation
                    Interesting - Young's Literal Translation seems to agree
                    salute Andronicus and Junias, my kindred, and my fellow-captives, who are of note among the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me.

Comment

"woman" read "wife." "man" read "husband."

Now you can throw some rocks.
                      Yes, I've seen it translated both ways.

Comment

And you want to get into that, eh?

So why would Paul, the great Church Planter, say
                        1 Tim 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
                        "woman" can be read "wife" and "man" can be read "husband." And they holding church at their house makes this teaching by Paul all the more true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                          It does make much more sense of the childbearing statement that immediately follows.
                          "For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety." -- 1 Timothy 3:13-15.

The "she" is singular. And the saved in childbearing is understood refer to the birth of Christ. So beginning with Eve, "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." And being fulfilled with Christ, "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons." [Genesis 3:15; Galatians 4:4, 5.]

And the "they" as how women of the faith are.

Comment

Source: History and Literature of Early Christianity

This short letter "To the Ephesians" permits an interesting glance into Paul's activities as an ecclesiastical politician. He did not devise church orders

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

*Genesis 1 and 2 being "contradictory",
                              Your view. One is the six day account. And the other is in the garden account.
                              Jephthah's daughter being a "human sacrifice",
                              The text does not say that. But rather, "And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her [according] to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man." -- Judges 11:39. "according to his vow." The Law is does not allow for human sacrifice. So it does not say she was made into a burnt offering. It does not say that.
                              "Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods." -- Deuteronomy 18:31.
                              And there are other arguments.

Comment

• I find this one hard. On one hand, I see woman in positions of leadership (in Scripture and in the modern day with them being blessed in their ministry), on the other I have been convinced by the principle of Biblical headship of the family. I have tentatively come to the conclusion that a woman should not lead a church if she is married because she should be led by her husband and not lead him, and they should be part of the same congregation, but a woman should be permitted if single, or a widow to lead a church and to lead ministries where her husband is not under her, such as Youth or Childrens, or even Missions or Prison ministry, anything so long as it's not her husband she is leading. If she is in a position of ecclesiastic power, perhaps her husband should also be, because while we are a priesthood of all believers, I also recognize a significance in those chosen to lead the priesthood.

I think that all came out right. But even if I was on either extreme of this topic, only men, or complete equality in male vs female leadership roles; I do not consider this a topic of orthodoxy vs heterodoxy, rather a non-essential that may be tied to good practice of the faith.
                                Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X