Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What constitutes a Christian denomination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I remember in the OLD days, we used to have "Race Relations Sunday" the Sunday closest to Valentine's Day. Us white preachers "traded pulpits*" with black preachers, and I just know I had a LOT more fun preaching to black congregations than the black preachers had preaching to white congregations.

*I always thought that was funny, cause the pulpits actually stayed with their respective churches.
    Did you ever do an "Al Gore"? You know, start slipping into stereotypical black Baptist preacher mode of speech.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There aren't many Protestant churches in New York City so there are a lot of house churches there. Do they all count as their own individual denomination for these numbers?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
        Why do I only see the whole other denominations hate denomination A/B only on the internet?
        Because its ok to be a hater on the interwebs when you have a mask to cover your identity?
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Although the Russian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox are both autocephalous, they are in communion with one another and do not consider themselves denominations; they are both part of the universal church, like the other Orthodox jurisdictions in communion with them.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
            It's because it the ONLY place I see it.
            I've never seen it happen on a large scale in any place where I've lived, and the "denominations" are pretty diverse.
            You must not live near any Seventh Day Adventists.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The Churches of Christ (who claim they are not a denomination because of the autonomy of the local churches, but I'm not so sure I'd say they're not) are fairly adamant about it. I had one friend in high school who was involved with them who gave me a book explaining why every other denomination was wrong. One of the book's big problems with the Baptists (which was me) was allowing instrumental music in worship.

I just kind of find it hard to believe it would take the church 1800 years and suddenly a group of people would get it perfect
              Last edited by KingsGambit; 02-24-2015, 01:25 PM.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I just kind of find it hard to believe it would take the church 1800 years and suddenly a group of people would get it perfect
                I've heard almost precisely the same statement from Catholics regarding the Reformation.
                "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                  I've heard almost precisely the same statement from Catholics regarding the Reformation.
                  Ecclesia reformata, semper reformanda...

Comment

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm

Christianity has more sects than any other world religion. Of course not all are genuine Christianity.
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm

Christianity has more sects than any other world religion. Of course not all are genuine Christianity.
                      That's really splitting hairs. From that article .... "“Denominations. A denomination is defined in this Encyclopedia as an organized aggregate of worship centers or congregations of similar ecclesiastical tradition within a specific country..."

Anyway, what's the point?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's really splitting hairs. From that article .... "“Denominations. A denomination is defined in this Encyclopedia as an organized aggregate of worship centers or congregations of similar ecclesiastical tradition within a specific country..."

Anyway, what's the point?
                        Only things of perceived value are counterfeited.
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Only things of perceived value are counterfeited.

You have been sounding like a Chinese fortune cookie lately. Do you also provide lottery numbers?
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You have been sounding like a Chinese fortune cookie lately. <snip>
                            ". . . For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or [if] ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with [him]. . . . For such [are] false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. . . ." -- 2 Corinthians 11:4, 13.

". . . But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. . . ." -- Galatians 1:8

The first denomination and major cult was to become a state church and claimed itself as Catholic. Teaching water baptism was required to be born again. And the Lord's supper was required in order to have eternal life. Among other things.
                            Last edited by 37818; 02-26-2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

The first denomination and major cult was to become a state church and claimed itself as Catholic. Teaching water baptism was required to be born again. And the Lord's supper was required in order to have eternal life. Among other things.
                              This is nearly completely incorrect. It's a topic for another thread, however.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

Many of those are cult groups. Which shows your understanding of religion to be quite lacking. Try again...
                                I consider the 30,000 clearly an exaggerations, in part because many so-called denominations share beliefs that clearly agree to the point that they do not seriously object to each other being Christians. Some of the above list are simply different orders of the Roman Church.

Unfortunately, you support the problem between the significant denominations limiting salvation to those that comply to certain beliefs, and call others cults, heretics, or worse. Even the Roman Church limits Salvation to the sincere ones inside the Church, and limited by grace outside defined by the Church, such as those without knowledge of the One True Church and those below the age of concent.
                                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X