Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Free Windows 10 upgrade when it releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    when I bought a new laptop, I bought a refurbed win 7. on purpose.
    I wanted another Win7 machine a couple months ago, and I had an XP computer I could have upgraded. I found a deal on a refurbished Win7 computer that was like getting the upgraded OS, bigger HD, more RAM and faster processor for not much more than I would have spent on the OS upgrade.

There are some really good Refurb deals out there - I found some really good ones at Micro Center.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I 'upgraded' a laptop to Windows 10. I noticed that when playing videos, the sound is now garbled at times.

I have a new computer with Windows 10. It seems okay so far.

None of the new features are appealing to me though. Screen space is wasted in order to show features designed to get more revenue for Microsoft. Then it is harder to find the old configuration panel features. But this is irksome; Microsoft sent an update to my computer and closed all the windows I had open. I may have to block the Microsoft website through my router. It doesn't help when a productivity tool makes you start from scratch everyday. Hmm. I do have another laptop with Windows 7. I may have to go to that one.

Comment

I upgraded my daughter's ASUS transformer laptop. I had to reconfigure some things, but overall it isn't that bad. Some inconveniences, like they moved the favorites bar add charm in Edge, and the touchpad was annoying, but other than that, it isn't horrible.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          I upgraded my daughter's ASUS transformer laptop. I had to reconfigure some things, but overall it isn't that bad. Some inconveniences, like they moved the favorites bar add charm in Edge, and the touchpad was annoying, but other than that, it isn't horrible.
          You made your daughter the guinea pig? Where is the love and compassion?

Yes Windows 10 is very okay enough.

Comment

I've not had any problems on the computers I have upgraded (my main work laptop, Dell, my gaming laptop ASUS and mine beloved's HP as well as my daughter's little HP netbook)

My old Windows 7 laptop is giving my some issues with upgrading, but that is because there is a bit of software I installed ages ago is blocking it and I can't find the uninstall for that bit of software. (so a pebkac error)
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              You made your daughter the guinea pig? Where is the love and compassion?

Yes Windows 10 is very okay enough.
              She's a smart kid. Very tech savvy.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                ....but other than that, it isn't horrible.
                I love this ringing endorsement.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I finally managed to get 10 on my lappy today to replace 8.1, second try. I guess Microsoft improved the installer since my first try with it a couple of weeks ago.

Still keeping 7 on my desktop, though; happy with that.
                  ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

I just sorted it out on a friend's laptop. I had it repeatedly failing on the final stages of the upgrade and then rolling back. solution in the end: uninstalling Trend Anti-Virus.
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      I just sorted it out on a friend's laptop. I had it repeatedly failing on the final stages of the upgrade and then rolling back. solution in the end: uninstalling Trend Anti-Virus.
                      I know it's anecdotal, but I have had more trouble with Trend Antivirus than all other AV's combined.... when I find a stubborn problem on a computer, one of the first things I look for is Trend. Even when it's "uninstalled", it's often still there in the background, lurking, waiting for an opportunity to be Johnny Raincloud!

With most other AV's, you can "turn them off" for a period of time - 10 minutes, 1 hour, etc - to allow an operation, but Trend still stupidly causes chaos.

Comment

• I use the free version of Bitdefender, in conjunction with the premium version of Malwarebytes. I've never had any sort of problems until now, when Bitdefender suddenly started blocking the pia_manager.exe process (Private Internet Access vpn service). I just have to set an exception for it, I guess, or wait til the people over at Bitdefender fix the issue.

Comment

• You all realize, of course, that all the viruses in the world are produced by the antivirus companies to keep them in business, don't ya?

Comment

• I installed Windows 10 in my shoes. Next I am going to install it in my dog.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I installed Windows 10 in my shoes. Next I am going to install it in my dog.
                              I'm thoroughly impressed; that kind of thing takes talent. I'm also impressed with the fact that Java claims to be installed in 2 billion devices, including toasters and parking meters.
                              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                                I'm thoroughly impressed; that kind of thing takes talent. I'm also impressed with the fact that Java claims to be installed in 2 billion devices, including toasters and parking meters.
                                They're probably including coffee pots in that count.
                                When I Survey....

Comment