Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Free Windows 10 upgrade when it releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    It's better than ME atleast.
    Your memory is flawed, there was never ever any product called Windows ME.

We do not speak of the abomination.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

9 reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10 -- yet

Windows 10 is just about here -- and many users (especially those who have been wrestling with Windows 8) are probably eager to upgrade. But even if you can get it now -- the upgrade will be sent first to those who signed up for the Windows Insider beta program and then in "slow waves" to everyone else -- you may want to hold off.

Here are nine reasons you might want to put off a Windows 10 upgrade.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...ws-10-yet.html
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-21-2015, 07:42 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Uh... I think you may have the wrong link!
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          No, I'm pretty sure it's correct!

(now)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            TANGENT TIME

I feel Linux is a superior OS for customizability and security. Win 10 seems to have still too much bloat, and a over-reliance on the cloud.
            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            I support the :
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
              TANGENT TIME

I feel Linux is a superior OS for customizability and security. Win 10 seems to have still too much bloat, and a over-reliance on the cloud.
              Besides the fact that Linux will run circles around Windows on junk PCs that wouldn't even allow Windows to load!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Besides the fact that Linux will run circles around Windows on junk PCs that wouldn't even allow Windows to load!
                Exactly!

Once we get Wine working to the Microsoft standards, then there would be no reason to use Winblows.
                "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I support the :
                sigpic

Comment

Unless you're whole employment is to support it... I doubt big companies will change over to Linux anytime soon.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                    Unless you're whole employment is to support it... I doubt big companies will change over to Linux anytime soon.
                    well, it's not hard to switch over if most software you use has a web client.

the problem is that windows has become the default for everything.
                    -Unknown

I support the :
                    sigpic

Comment

TANGENT TIME

There's one reason to prefer Windows over Linux, and that is support for games.

Although SteamOS might change that in the near future.

Comment

Only the last reason on that list is applicable to me. I run Windows 8.1, and I'm switching when I can.

Comment

well, it's not hard to switch over if most software you use has a web client.

the problem is that windows has become the default for everything.
                          Not on an small or individual scale maybe, with a whole new OS, you have to retrain all your security people. I work for a Health Insurance provider, so US HIPAA laws are in play. We have encrypted HDD's and such.
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Not on an small or individual scale maybe, with a whole new OS, you have to retrain all your security people. I work for a Health Insurance provider, so US HIPAA laws are in play. We have encrypted HDD's and such.
                            eh, Linux is generally more secure then windows and also easier to secure... but I do get your point.

you still can have encrypted HDD's and the like with Linux, although I don't know if you guys are required to use a certain standard.
                            -Unknown

I support the :
                            sigpic

Comment

No, they are too entrenched in Windows, and there's no justifiable business reason to do so. Windows has done a good job of ensuring that.

I remember when Apple was launching a huge campaign to take over the education business, hoping that these kids would experience apple computers in school, and want to use them when they graduated and got jobs. The corporate world doesn't work like that.

Comment

I will probably leave windows 7 on my main laptop and file server. I do need a new tablet though, so I think I will get the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 when it comes out in October. It will have Windows 10 on it.
                                Last edited by Sparko; 07-22-2015, 09:21 AM.

Comment