Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Free Windows 10 upgrade when it releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, I had cloned one of my laptops' hard drive to a solid state drive, and that solid state drive boots up Win7 just fine. So, I think I'll go ahead and let it upgrade to Win10, knowing I can always go back to the drive from which the solid state one was cloned.
    Yeah that is pretty much my plan. Been wanting a SSD for a while now. They seem to have gotten a lot cheaper lately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      Don't do it! The Lizard People are using Win 10 to spy on us!
      SSSSSSSSSssss! We are not!!!

er, I mean THEY are not!

Comment

• The only issue I've got now with Windows 10 on my lappy is that the odd time I have to restart Windows, the touchpad settings get reverted to their defaults. I don't like that, because I purposely turn off the tap-to-click and gestures functions which I don't like because when they're on I end up accidentally doing stuff I don't want to. I wonder if there's a driver update available that would fix that... [Edit: Nope, the driver apparently got upgraded to the newest version when Windows 10 was installed. I guess I'll just have to suffer for a while...]
        Last edited by The Melody Maker; 08-19-2015, 02:41 PM.
        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
          The only issue I've got now with Windows 10 on my lappy is that the odd time I have to restart Windows, the touchpad settings get reverted to their defaults. I don't like that, because I purposely turn off the tap-to-click and gestures functions which I don't like because when they're on I end up accidentally doing stuff I don't want to. I wonder if there's a driver update available that would fix that... [Edit: Nope, the driver apparently got upgraded to the newest version when Windows 10 was installed. I guess I'll just have to suffer for a while...]
          There are some instructions floating around on how to uninstall the new driver and skip the auto update. Had that issue with Faith's ASUS.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• I have been wondering if I should do the update. My laptop does run Windows 7, but the thing is 5 years old.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              I have been wondering if I should do the update. My laptop does run Windows 7, but the thing is 5 years old.
              I don't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall having read that if your computer can run Windows 7 it can probably run Windows 10 as well. Don't quote me on it though.

Comment

• I don't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall having read that if your computer can run Windows 7 it can probably run Windows 10 as well. Don't quote me on it though.

Now that I think about it, I think it was Chrawnus who said that.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I don't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall having read that if your computer can run Windows 7 it can probably run Windows 10 as well. Don't quote me on it though.

Now that I think about it, I think it was Chrawnus who said that.

Comment

• I upgraded from 8.1 the first chance I got. I had no problems installing, and things work find now. In fact, one of the games I had now works, when it didn't before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      It depends. A lot of laptops have specialized hardware and drivers. As long as Windows 10 has the drivers it should be OK.

Like, I have an HP Envy 3D laptop, and it has a special graphics card, LCD display and driver to allow you to wear LCD glasses and play movies and games in 3D stereo vision. If windows 10 doesn't have the drivers for that, and HP doesn't release windows 10 drivers for the display and graphics card, then I will be out of luck.

Comment

• I rolled back to Window 7 (successfully) after Windows 10 insisted I opened an Outlook account before it would let me even look at the games -- I was after the traditional Solitaire and Minesweeper; it then re-booted using the Outlook account password instead of my own computer log-on password, and without warning me or asking my permission to do so.

This irritated me, along with Microsoft's enthusiasm that I could now use my new account and password to buy, buy, buy all sorts of apps and music etc -- as offered by Microsoft and found a mere one or two clicks away on the Start Menu; their enthusiasm that I should buy, buy, buy apps and music etc rather exceeds mine own enthusiasm, and I have no wish to use Outlook, ever, at all, so I promptly cancelled the Outlook account.

No, said Microsoft, we're going to make you wait 60 days. And the next time I re-booted -- and after the insult of having to continue to use the cancelled Outlook account's password to log on -- there was the injury that I no longer had an internet connection, no web, no e-mail.

The restore options were uninspiring, the most likely to succeed of which (by resetting the settings which were presumably preventing my internet connection) would involve hours of re-installing all my many programs; so after a rather short period of reflection on the few if any advantages of having Windows 10 over Windows 7, reflection on my dislike of Microsoft's swing from providing an operating system into providing a proprietary advertising and marketing system, reflection on the mere month's window of opportunity to roll-back to my old set-up, and reflection on how happy or otherwise I felt at having my internet connection peremptorily disabled, I rolled back to Windows 7. (Successfully, blessedly. I'm glad to be out of Windows 10, and back in a fully-functional OS.)

Comment

• Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
                          I rolled back to Window 7 (successfully) after Windows 10 insisted I opened an Outlook account before it would let me even look at the games -- I was after the traditional Solitaire and Minesweeper; it then re-booted using the Outlook account password instead of my own computer log-on password, and without warning me or asking my permission to do so.

This irritated me, along with Microsoft's enthusiasm that I could now use my new account and password to buy, buy, buy all sorts of apps and music etc -- as offered by Microsoft and found a mere one or two clicks away on the Start Menu; their enthusiasm that I should buy, buy, buy apps and music etc rather exceeds mine own enthusiasm, and I have no wish to use Outlook, ever, at all, so I promptly cancelled the Outlook account.
                          So the effort to get you to buy stuff did not go unnoticed?

I installed Win10 on a laptop and desktop. I removed most of the Microsoft advertising features. Now I have a blank box on the right side of my start menu.
                          Other than all the useless new features, the basic operating system has been okay for me thus far.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                            So the effort to get you to buy stuff did not go unnoticed?

I installed Win10 on a laptop and desktop. I removed most of the Microsoft advertising features. Now I have a blank box on the right side of my start menu.
                            Other than all the useless new features, the basic operating system has been okay for me thus far.
                            It installed quickly and painlessly on my laptop, and seemed to make my laptop faster...

It was a PAIN installing it on my desktop - it didn't recognize the video card apparently, so you never got to a sign-in screen - it would just look like an old school TV set with no TV signal... all snowy and wavy lines. After MULTIPLE reboots (you can't boot into safe mode, apparently) it FINALLY gave me a sign-in screen, then several more rounds of "no TV signal" type screen, then reboot and a GOOD start up....

After HOURS of messing with it, it finally seems to be working properly, and even makes that old desktop seem faster.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• So any truth to the rumor that 10 is Microsoft's way to control your computer and watch everything you do?
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                So any truth to the rumor that 10 is Microsoft's way to control your computer and watch everything you do?
                                I think there's some privacy concerns, but if I recall correctly you can disable many of the "privacy intrusions" during installation, and the rest can be disabled via the control panel afterwards. I haven't actually upgraded to Win 10 yet though, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

Comment