Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Free Windows 10 upgrade when it releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    It looks like Windows 10 Pro still has the virtual machine manager Hyper-V, which comes with 8/8.1 Pro. That would likely run Windows 7 for you, though it doesn't include Windows 7; you'd still have to install your own copy of it. (Hopefully I'm understanding your question right. )
    That is correct, however if you have to run WMWare Player or workstation, you have to disable that because VMWare have seen fit to block installation/running on any computer that is running Hyper-V

(which is a pain if you also need to do WinPhone dev as its emulator uses Hyper-V)
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      So does windows 10 have a way built in to run a virtual copy of windows 7? Or would I have to install something like Virtualbox?
      I would use Vmware and a dual boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
        You just reminded me about V Communications' System Commander - I forgot I used to use that for my dual boot configurations!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
          If I did a dual boot I wouldn't need VMware

And if I used VMware I would not have to dual boot

Comment

I'm probably going to upgrade. I have neither the computer savvy to use Linux nor the time to learn right now.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I'm probably going to upgrade. I have neither the computer savvy to use Linux nor the time to learn right now.
              I think I may upgrade one of mine and see how I like it first. I have a couple of software's that I'm worried about making the jump. One is our Accounting Software for the Prison Ministry. I'm assuming they will be upgrading it as well, but I can't lose that one.
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I was torn on the whole issue and I ended up not bothering for now. The only reason I would want to upgrade to Windows 10 as a PC gamer who doesn't really understand the inner workings of computers that well is so I could play Killer Instinct.

However, there's no knowing if half my Steam games would stop working in the transfer. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

I temporarily had Windows 10 on my desktop primarily so I could test out a couple of games which I'd programmed myself (one complete, one still under construction but currently on hiatus), and figured out that they both need a very simple bug fix. However, along the way I found that while DirectDraw applications do run a bit faster in 10 than they did in 8, it still isn't full speed which I liked in 7 and earlier. Also, 10 has no driver for my printer (but then, neither did 8). That being said, although 10 looks like a huge improvement over 8, I still prefer 7 over both so I've gone back to that via restoration of default factory settings. (Still working on reinstalling all my applications at this time of posting.)

On the other hand, I tried many times to install 10 on my laptop running 8.1 but it kept failing every time -- and I'm sure I messed something up in the process, so I'm reinstalling 8/8.1 via restoration of factory default settings on that too. That's okay, though -- although it would have been nice to upgrade that one to 10, I'm happy with 8.1 since I don't use it for much but as a low-traffic web server and for listening to sermons.

In any case, though I don't need to use Windows 10, I'm content now to have had the chance to try it and see it in action. It served its purpose for me.
                  ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

I'm happy with it so far
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I'm still happy with Win7... since I never went to 8 or 8.1, I think I'll stick with 7 for now.

I'll let all you guys be the beta testers.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I'll let all you guys be the beta testers.
                        What CP said.

Comment

If memory serves I have 8.1 on my laptop. I don't have time for a lot of messing around to get things in order and I am not a power user by any means. So what would you guys recommend? To upgrade or not upgrade, that is the question...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            If memory serves I have 8.1 on my laptop. I don't have time for a lot of messing around to get things in order and I am not a power user by any means. So what would you guys recommend? To upgrade or not upgrade, that is the question...

I like it better than 8.1. It's much more like 7, and my mom says her laptop is now faster.

Comment

yeah I usually wait till at least the first big service pack is realeased. Like 10.1

Comment

when I bought a new laptop, I bought a refurbed win 7. on purpose.
                                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                                George Bernard Shaw

Comment