Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Free Windows 10 upgrade when it releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like Microsoft is getting ready to release Windows 10 at the end of July. Anyone using Windows 7 SP1 & 8.1 may have already noticed a Windows logo icon in the taskbar's system tray announcing it and allowing users to reserve the free upgrade.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

I reserved it for me and my mom.

I'll tell my dad to do it when he gets home.

Comment

I've reserved it on my Win8.1 lappy and might do it on Mr. mossy's Win8.1 desktop. Probably won't on my Win7 desktop or mossy's Win7 lappy; afraid of breaking any programs on them.
        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
          I've reserved it on my Win8.1 lappy and might do it on Mr. mossy's Win8.1 desktop. Probably won't on my Win7 desktop or mossy's Win7 lappy; afraid of breaking any programs on them.
          I heard from someone that it's basically Windows 7, but with the same kind of usage for unused graphics RAM that Windows 8 introduced.

Comment

I never trust first releases. But if you have windows 8, then you can't do much worse than you already have.

Comment

MelMak says on his way out the door:

"You'll probably see my post about Windows 10 on Tweb, but here's what I am planning.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................"

My first thought was, "Why would I see your post about this on Tweb? I don't read this kind of stuff!"

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I never trust first releases. But if you have windows 8, then you can't do much worse than you already have.
                It's better than ME atleast.

Comment

I have 8.1, so yeah, I'm definitely upgrading. My mom has 8, so she wants it to change to something closer to Windows 7. Windows 10 is supposed to be more like that, so here's hoping it's decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    I have 8.1, so yeah, I'm definitely upgrading. My mom has 8, so she wants it to change to something closer to Windows 7. Windows 10 is supposed to be more like that, so here's hoping it's decent.
                    Wouldn't we want the bugs to get worked out first? Will it be like when I upgraded my OS from 8 to 8.1?
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      Wouldn't we want the bugs to get worked out first?
                      Ideally they would do that before releasing it.

Will it be like when I upgraded my OS from 8 to 8.1?
                      I don't know, because I don't know what that was like.

Comment

When upgrading to a new OS, I will buy a blank hard drive and install it fresh on that. I will keep my old hard disk as a backup, in case I need to go back to what I had before. Then if everything is OK, I will just turn the old hard drive into a USB drive.

So my only question is, do you have to install windows 10 from the download, or can you burn an ISO disc to do the install on?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          Wouldn't we want the bugs to get worked out first?

You make a joke!
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When upgrading to a new OS, I will buy a blank hard drive and install it fresh on that. I will keep my old hard disk as a backup, in case I need to go back to what I had before. Then if everything is OK, I will just turn the old hard drive into a USB drive.

So my only question is, do you have to install windows 10 from the download, or can you burn an ISO disc to do the install on?
                            You can probably do both, but I got a thing asking me to "reserve" my upgrade. So in my case it's probably going to be an automatic update/download. You can probably ask Microsoft about making an ISO though. I know they let you do it with their other products. That's how I have Windows 8.1.

Comment

It appears to me this is more of an "update", at least initially, though you CAN supposedly by new Windows 10 computers. But you obtain the "update" through "Windows Updates", yes?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/22/tech...iew/index.html

Comment