Announcement

Collapse

Sorority Guidelines

Here is the Hen House. We gather and talk about men, shoes, clothing, and if those wings are all they are cracked up to be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Birth Control Pills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Control Pills

Why do they not list the other reasons a person may need to take them? And would taking them for those other reasons be okay for those who are against contraceptives for religious reasons?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

I've wondered the same. For instance, endomtriosis is a painful but common condition for many women (millions, just in the USA) and the first form of treatment is hormonal regulation via birth control. I bring this up because I've got a really horrid case of endomtriosis. The thought of not having access to BC to control my symptoms... *shudders* ..I wouldn't be able to function.

Comment

Who is this "they" of whom you speak? The manufacturers?

As for the moral implications, it depends on exactly why the doctor prescribed it. If the problems the woman has are such that she cannot conceive anyway, or if she is not sexually active, then the chance of the embryo being killed by the pills is slim to none since there cannot be an embryo in the first place. Therefore, in that situation there is no moral problem with her being on birth control pills. Some women won't be able to have a normal cycle without them, and her reasons have nothing to do with whether or not she wants to have a baby. She just wants a normal cycle that doesn't keep her home from work/school for a few days at a time at unpredictable intervals.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I guess.. It's on the boxalong with the warning that it will not prevent std's. Why do they need the warning? Do some people really not know that hormones can't prevent sti's? Since when do periods keep you at home? Those are some really bad cramps!
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          I guess.. It's on the boxalong with the warning that it will not prevent std's. Why do they need the warning? Do some people really not know that hormones can't prevent sti's? Since when do periods keep you at home? Those are some really bad cramps!
          I feel like a broken clock or something here, but one of the side affects of endometriosis is irregular periods (or bleeding between periods). If the disease has progressed to the point where it's causing that kind of interference, chances are high it's also causing debilitating pelvic pain and cramps too (not to mention a plethora of other nasty side affects). So, yes, it wouldn't be surprising if a woman with irregular periods also had really horrid cramps too.

My sister doesn't, that I know of, have endometriosis but gets some really nasty cramps anyway. She has to take prescription level pain relievers for it, and even then it doesn't always work. She has days where she just stays in bed because she can't function.

As to the STDs warning... well.... I think it's sort of like with consumer products in general. We really ought to know better than to eat detergent or stick a fork in a turned-on toaster, but that doesn't stop some of us from doing it anyway. Without the warnings on the labels, I guess it leaves the companies vulnerable to getting sued. And, sadly, I really can see some people being so extremely ignorant of sex in general and STDs specifically as to think that if you stop one, you automatically stop the other. You just can't ever underestimate the level of human ignorance, ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by draw2much View Post
            As to the STDs warning... well.... I think it's sort of like with consumer products in general. We really ought to know better than to eat detergent or stick a fork in a turned-on toaster, but that doesn't stop some of us from doing it anyway. Without the warnings on the labels, I guess it leaves the companies vulnerable to getting sued.
            My personal favorite on a hair dryer I bought: don't use while sleeping. You just know some idiot fell asleep using one and then sued.

Comment

Bwhaahaaa...don't use a blow dryer while sleeping? I can only guess somebody thought the blow dryer would make a good clothes dryer while one napped.

As for the warnings, yep...it's all about liability.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Not necessarily cramps, there are other symptoms that warrant the use of hormone pills. I've just posted about it in the PMS thread.

And I agree with those who are saying it's ridiculous that we need the "does not prevent STDs" warning on the box. You'd think that someone old enough to want birth control pills would have taken a high school biology course at some point prior to that.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X