Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Should we buy clothing made by child labour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we buy clothing made by child labour?

If not, then why do a large number of people do?
    I confess that I am guilty of this as well and it isn't something that I like. I suppose one reason is that a large number of people do not know about it. They may also not care (although I see this as being unlikely). They may also just be looking for the cheapest clothing.
    Thoughts?
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

If I know something is coming as a result of Child Labor, certainly I'd not buy it. I don't think it's that simple. I think things get branded and rebranded, and it's really hard for the consumer to know where things come from.

Lately, though, I've been buying my dress shirts from the local "Good Samaritan" help center --- for some reason unbeknownst to me, there seems to be a plenteous supply of top line dress shirts in excellent condition for from $5.00 to $8.00.

Do you know of a specific brand or line that comes from Child Labor?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      If I know something is coming as a result of Child Labor, certainly I'd not buy it. I don't think it's that simple. I think things get branded and rebranded, and it's really hard for the consumer to know where things come from.

Lately, though, I've been buying my dress shirts from the local "Good Samaritan" help center --- for some reason unbeknownst to me, there seems to be a plenteous supply of top line dress shirts in excellent condition for from $5.00 to $8.00.

Do you know of a specific brand or line that comes from Child Labor?
      No, unfortunately.
      Wouldn't companies generally hide that information as much as possible?
      -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
      Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
      Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I shop thrift or flea for all my clothes, I'm too much of a tightwad to pay $20+ for a shirt or jeans I can get for $5. Best score was a new $120 pair of Doc Martens at the flea for $5.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
          No, unfortunately.
          Wouldn't companies generally hide that information as much as possible?
          Exactly.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
            I shop thrift or flea for all my clothes, I'm too much of a tightwad to pay $20+ for a shirt or jeans I can get for $5. Best score was a new $120 pair of Doc Martens at the flea for $5.
            Some years ago, I dropped some clothes off at the local SOS (Society of Samaritans) and decided just to "look around"... I was amazed at the top quality clothes for very little money, and I'm not too proud to buy and wear them. Heck, I had three older brothers when I was growing up -- everything I wore was hand-me-downs!

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
              If not, then why do a large number of people do?
              I confess that I am guilty of this as well and it isn't something that I like. I suppose one reason is that a large number of people do not know about it. They may also not care (although I see this as being unlikely). They may also just be looking for the cheapest clothing.
              Thoughts?
              If families in country X are so poor that their children must work in order to survive, then what they need is more demand for their labor, not less.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X