Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Split-off thread: Bible translations for study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I guess there isn't an online version that I could find. I will look for it around town. Looking at all of these translations gave me an idea. How about one for Bronies? It could be titled; Bronie Bible: Jesus is Magic. Might work...
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

My usual preference is the NRSV, but I also like the ESV; and for the Old Testament, I also utilize the JPS Tanakh translation.
      "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
      --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        That's a good version for reading. Not for study.
        You say the ESV is not for study. Did you write that knowing the companion website www.esvonline.org ?

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
          You say the ESV is not for study.
          yes

Did you write that knowing the companion website www.esvonline.org ?
          yes

There's a difference between "reading it" and "utilizing the study tools".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            I hope this isn't too off-topic, but what would you say is a good version for study? I don't have an ESV, but I'm curious what you think.
            http://www.amazon.com/How-Choose-Tra...+all+its+worth

If you really want to study -- use multiple translations from different ends of the 'functional equivalent' and 'formal equivalent' spectrum.

The words 'paraphrase' and 'literal' with regards to translation miscommunicate the reality of what is going on in translation. ALL translations by definition interpret and are imperfect. Different languages have different grammar, constructs, semantic ranges, etc -- so it is really a difficult task to translate -- especially given the fact that the Bible deals with ancient languages.

So get multiple translations and use them all. Versions such as NKJV, ESV, NIV, NASB, HCSB, NLT, are all good. Check out the book above if you want more info on choosing a translation.
            Last edited by phat8594; 02-25-2015, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Each translation has features unique to it. The old English, the thee, thou and thine, are singular for the word "you." And ye, you and your are the plural. The advantage, don't need to know Greek or the Hebrew for singular pronouns.

The NKJV in the New Testament has notes, NU and M. NU, the N being Nestle-Aland Greek text reading, and U the United Bible Society reading. M the Majority Greek text reading. The common reading as found in the New Testament Greek manuscripts. Now also referred to as the Greek family 35 readings.

The KJV, ASV, NASB and the NKJV also use italicize words to show words provided by the translator that is not in the original language being translated. With most other translations you have know way of knowing without consulting the Greek or Hebrew, if you know how. Some translations use brackets [].
              Last edited by 37818; 02-25-2015, 10:15 PM.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Even though I love the rich "...marvelous expression of the English language..." found in the KJV, I think it's becoming a demarcation line of, those that are KJVonlyist's, and those that basically "shun" it...
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  In their book “How To Read the Bible for All Its Worth,” Greek scholar Gordon Fee (AOG) and Hebrew scholar Doug Stuart (Baptist) give this advice concerning the KJV and it's contemporary version the New King James Version (NKJV):

Source: Fee, Gordon and Stuart, Doug, "How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth, 3rd ed." (Zondervan, Grand Rapids, 2003) p.40

The KJV for a long time was the most widely used translation in the world; it is also a classic expression of the English language. Indeed, it coined phrases that will be forever embedded in our language (“coals of fire,” “the skin of my teeth,” “tongues of fire”). However, for the New Testament, the only Greek text available to the 1611 translators was based on late manuscripts, which had accumulated the mistakes of over a thousand years of copying. Few of these mistakes—and we must note that there are many of them—make any difference to us doctrinally, but they often do make a difference in the meaning of certain specific texts. Recognizing that the English of the KJV was no longer a living language—and thoroughly dissatisfied with its modern revision (RSV/NRSV)—it was decided by some to “update” the KJV by ridding it of its “archaic” way of speaking. But in so doing, the NKJV revisers eliminated the best feature of the KJV (its marvelous expression of the English language) and kept the worst (its flawed text). This is why for study you should use almost any modern translation rather than the KJV or NKJV.

© Copyright Original Source

Even though I love the rich "...marvelous expression of the English language..." found in the KJV, I think it's becoming a demarcation line of, those that are KJVonlyist's, and those that basically "shun" it...
                  Doug Stewart, as a Hebrew scholar, has no business opining on the New Testament text - and the NKJV footnotes the differences between the "Received Text", the Majority Text (which is essentially what the Greek Orthodox Church has been using all along), and the eclectic NU text which is preferred by most Protestant scholars today. And I disagree that the archaic way of speaking was the best feature of the KJV.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    I hope this isn't too off-topic, but what would you say is a good version for study? I don't have an ESV, but I'm curious what you think.

Study bibles inevitably introduce denominational slants, a good reason for avoiding them:

https://seeingclearly.wordpress.com/...v-study-bible/

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Doug Stewart, as a Hebrew scholar, has no business opining on the New Testament text - and the NKJV footnotes the differences between the "Received Text", the Majority Text (which is essentially what the Greek Orthodox Church has been using all along), and the eclectic NU text which is preferred by most Protestant scholars today. And I disagree that the archaic way of speaking was the best feature of the KJV.
                      Are you being sarcastic?

After all, Gordon Fee IS a Greek scholar.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                        In their book “How To Read the Bible for All Its Worth,” Greek scholar Gordon Fee (AOG) and Hebrew scholar Doug Stuart (Baptist) give this advice concerning the KJV and it's contemporary version the New King James Version (NKJV):

Source: Fee, Gordon and Stuart, Doug, "How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth, 3rd ed." (Zondervan, Grand Rapids, 2003) p.40

The KJV for a long time was the most widely used translation in the world; it is also a classic expression of the English language. Indeed, it coined phrases that will be forever embedded in our language (“coals of fire,” “the skin of my teeth,” “tongues of fire”). However, for the New Testament, the only Greek text available to the 1611 translators was based on late manuscripts, which had accumulated the mistakes of over a thousand years of copying. Few of these mistakes—and we must note that there are many of them—make any difference to us doctrinally, but they often do make a difference in the meaning of certain specific texts. Recognizing that the English of the KJV was no longer a living language—and thoroughly dissatisfied with its modern revision (RSV/NRSV)—it was decided by some to “update” the KJV by ridding it of its “archaic” way of speaking. But in so doing, the NKJV revisers eliminated the best feature of the KJV (its marvelous expression of the English language) and kept the worst (its flawed text). This is why for study you should use almost any modern translation rather than the KJV or NKJV.

© Copyright Original Source

I hate that there is a line like that at all. I might not use the KJV, but there is no reason to think it is worthless. I would only shun the translations that are known to be truly faulty. Most all translations are worth reading.
                        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                          I hate that there is a line like that at all. I might not use the KJV, but there is no reason to think it is worthless. I would only shun the translations that are known to be truly faulty. Most all translations are worth reading.
                          What do you mean by "known to be truly faulty?" I'm assuming that would include something like, say, the New World Translation, which uses the word "Jehovah" 237 times in the New Testament despite the fact that this word is never utilized in the Greek (amongst other questionable translation choices). However, the KJV's New Testament was based upon a tiny, incomplete, and likely inaccurate set of Greek manuscripts; I would certainly consider that to be "truly faulty" (though certainly not due to any intentional or deliberate drive of the translators).
                          "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                          --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                            Are you being sarcastic?
                            No.
                            After all, Gordon Fee IS a Greek scholar.
                            Yes, he is. I have no problem with Gordon Fee opining on the New Testament text.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                              What do you mean by "known to be truly faulty?" I'm assuming that would include something like, say, the New World Translation, which uses the word "Jehovah" 237 times in the New Testament despite the fact that this word is never utilized in the Greek (amongst other questionable translation choices). However, the KJV's New Testament was based upon a tiny, incomplete, and likely inaccurate set of Greek manuscripts; I would certainly consider that to be "truly faulty" (though certainly not due to any intentional or deliberate drive of the translators).
                              Check out the bases for the NT Greek family 35.
                              https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=nt+greek+family+35
                              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                No.

Yes, he is. I have no problem with Gordon Fee opining on the New Testament text.
                                The only reason I asked is because the book was co-authored by Stuart & Fee... That's why I was a little confused. But -- I guess it's neither here nor there.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X