Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Notable Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notable Quotes

This thread is for quoting something you read or heard that bears repeating so that everyone may benefit. We have our signatures, but we can't put everything notable in our signatures. So, post an edifying, humorous, uplifting or though provoking quote. The thread is open to all!

My first contribution:

"The difference between death and taxes...is that death does not get worse every time Congress meets." - Will Rogers

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

“Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.” - Mark Twain
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      “Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.” - Mark Twain
      It presumes, does it not, that we can not stop electing people who will soil our government.
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        It presumes, does it not, that we can not stop electing people who will soil our government.
        I don't think LJ intends this as a debate thread.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I put spot remover on my dog, now he's gone. -Steven Wright

Comment

I have used this on many sympathy cards I have made.

Life is eternal, and love is immortal,
            and death is only a horizon;
            and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.”
            – Rossiter Worthington Raymond

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Work is the greatest thing in the world, so we should ALWAYS save some of it for tomorrow! - Don Herold
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I think the most un-American thing you can say is "You can't say that." - Garrison Keillor

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I don't think LJ intends this as a debate thread.
                  Ooops, did LJ think it was not a notable statement?
                  The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                    Ooops, did LJ think it was not a notable statement?
                    Do you have a QUOTE to contribute?

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt" (often attributed to Mark Twain or Abe Lincoln)

Probably inspired by Proverbs 17:28.

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. (NIV)

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. (KJV)

Comment

There are two ways to live: You can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein

Comment

"87.3% of all statistics on the internet are totally made up or totally misrepresented". - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

"A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way." - John C. Maxwell

Comment

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." -- John Quincy Adams

Comment

"A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame, a little less than his share of the credit." -- Arnold H. Glasow (often cited by, and there fore attributed to, Ronald Reagan)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X