Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Notable Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heard this on the radio today and am looking for the full quote (I can find only bits of it)

I have alternately been called an aristocrat and a democrat. I am neither. I am a Christocrat. ... He alone who created and redeemed man is qualified to govern him -- Quoted in Benjamin Rush's eulogy. He was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, Surgeon General of the Continental Army and was founder of the first anti-slavery society in America.
    Last edited by rogue06; 10-12-2018, 12:39 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Heed not distressing thoughts, when they rise ever so strongly in you; nay, though they have entered you, fear them not, but be still a while, not believing in the power which you feel they have over you, and it will fall on a sudden.

- Isaac Penington
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• "The only safe way to treat our failures is neither to justify nor condemn ourselves on account of them, but to lay them quietly and in simplicity before the Lord, in peace and in the spirit of love. All the old writers tell us that our progress is aided far more by a simple, peaceful turning to God, than by all our chagrin and remorse over our lapses from Him. Only be faithful, they say, in turning quietly to Him alone, the moment you perceive what you have done, and His presence will deliver you from the snares which have entrapped you. To look at self plunges you deeper into the swamp, for this very swamp is after all nothing but self; while the gentlest look towards God will calm and deliver your heart."

"Finally, let us never forget for one moment, no matter how often we may fail, that the Lord Jesus is able, according to the declaration concerning Him, to deliver us, that we may 'serve Him without fear, in holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life.' "

- Hannah Smith
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Be still and cool in thy own mind and spirit from thy own thoughts, and then thou wilt feel the principle of God to turn thy mind to the Lord God, whereby thou wilt receive his strength and power from whence life comes, to allay all tempests, against blusterings and storms. That is it which moulds up into patience, into innocency, into soberness, into stillness, into stayedness, into quietness, up to God, with his power.

- George Fox

Comment

• Morning prayer of St. Ambrose of Milan

"Light that You are, illumine our senses, and shake sleep from our minds; may our first words be of You, and may Your praise open our mouths."
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• "Cry for grace from God to be able to see God's hand in every trial, and then for grace to submit at once to it. Not only to submit, but to acquiesce, and to rejoice in it. I think there is generally an end to troubles when we get to that." (Charles Spurgeon)

"If anyone could tell you the shortest, surest way to all happiness and perfection, he must tell you to make it a rule to yourself to thank and praise God for everything that happens to you. For it is certain that whatever seeming calamity happens to you, if you thank and praise God for it, you turn it into a blessing." (William Law)

Comment

• A time will come when the whole world will go mad. And to anyone who is not mad they will say “You are mad, for you are not like us.” - St. Anthony the Great
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Many secularists like to assimilate Religion to Superstition, when in fact Superstition is not Religion per se, but at most the corruption of True Religion, just as tyranny is not government per se but merely the corruption of government, just as wage labor is comparable to slavery only very remotely and only under the worst circumstances, and just as prostitution is not even remotely comparable to marriage.- Edward Feser The Last Superstition A Refutation Of The New Atheism pg. 14.

Comment

• Mon., September 10th. At the Hall, while I was expounding Isai. 4, a man perceived his filth purged away by the Spirit of judgment and burning. Sarah Norton, a Presbyterian, followed me home under strong convictions. We prayed and trembled before the face of God. She is not far from the kingdom of heaven. Two simple souls, Mary Fry and Jane Clansy, now informed me, that God filled them on Friday evening with love and joy unspeakable. They expressed so much of it, and have been so tempted since, that I could not doubt of their being accepted. I conversed and prayed with M. Hooper. I have a good hope that the Sun of righteousness is risen upon her, with healing in his wings.

I preached in the brick-yard, where I think there could not be less than four thousand. It rained hard, yet none stirred. I spoke with great freedom and power. A woman cried out, and dropped down. I spoke to her at M. Norman’s, and found she had sunk under the weight of sin.

At Gloucester-lane I discoursed two hours on John 3. A notorious drunkard gave glory to God, declaring he had found mercy last night, through faith in Jesus Christ. This stirred the Pharisee in a woman’s soul, and she cried out against him most vehemently. I took and turned her inside out, and showed her her spirit in those who murmured at Christ for receiving sinners. A woman of a broken spirit testified she had found redemption through his blood, when I preached last at Baptist-Mills. We daily discover more and more who are begotten again by the word of God’s power, or awakened to a sense of sin, or edified in the faith.

Charles Wesley, The Journal of the Rev. Charles Wesley, ed. Thomas Jackson, vol. 1 (London: John Mason, 1849), 171.

Comment

• Costly grace is the gospel which must be sought again and again, the gift which must be asked for, the door at which a man must knock. Such grace is costly because it calls us to follow, and it is grace because it calls us to follow Jesus Christ. It is costly because it costs a man his life, and it is grace because it gives a man the only true life. It is costly because it condemns sin, and grace because it justifies the sinner.-Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Cheap Grace, pg.45

Comment

• “smugness is half the fun of being a liberal (the other half being the tearing down of everything one’s ancestors, and one’s betters generally, worked so hard to build).”
                        ― Edward Feser, The Last Superstition: A Refutation of the New Atheism, pg. 216

Comment

• "Human arrogance is nothing, nor is the self-conceit of our hearts. For arrogance anchors itself in the wind and our self-conceit drifts in the air like fleeting smoke. What, really, is arrogance except the counterfeit image of puffed-up thought, the momentary crashing of a wave? It is a bubble, ready to burst, floating for a little while on the surface of the water; suddenly it breaks, and comes to nothing. Tell me, what profit, really, do we gain from it? It cannot add an inch to our height, and yet it makes us fly above the heavens. It cannot add a penny to our possessions, and yet it makes us conceited like rulers and kings. It doesn't provide us with extravagant foods or luxurious clothing, and yet it inflates our thoughts the way luxury bloats the bodies of the self-indulgent. It doesn't add one day to our lives, and yet like the immortals we keep our brows raised sky-high! Earth and dust, we forget the stench of the tomb and fly away on the air. Arrogance is like the swelling of the sea which sometimes is calm and smooth, while at other times its every drop rises and crests; yet one wave after another crashes onto the shore and vanishes. In the same way arrogance also brings down the mind it holds captive through self-important thoughts and then dashes it against the gates of Hell." - St. George the Chozebite

sigpic

Comment

• The frisbee appeared to be getting bigger and bigger. Then it hit me.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”
                              -Carl Bard
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• "Let your heart and desires continually hold converse with God, in heartfelt simplicity. Reflect on Him with feelings of love and reverence, and often offer up your heart, with all that you have and are, to Him, in spirit and in truth, as cordially and sincerely as possible. If through weakness or unfaithfulness you forsake this exercise, which is so incredibly helpful and beautiful, all you have to do is, meekly and heartily to begin again; and do not be weary of it, although in the beginning you may not find any great advantage from it, or make any rapid progress in it. It is not true that such a mode of life is hard; it is easy and pleasant to the spirit, and becomes in due time like a heaven upon earth. A little patience and courage alone are needed." (Gerhard TerSteegen)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X