Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What threats can Windows Defender detect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What threats can Windows Defender detect?

Windows 8 has Windows Defender, which I ran a hour or so ago. "No threats" the report came out. But what about Superfish and other threats like it? I ran regedit.exe before running Windows Defender, which detected a dll named SuperfishIEAddon.dll You'd think the report would be reassuring, but I am not sure.

Windows Secrets (a bi-weekly) has a chat board named the Lounge. I am going to subscribe to a thread re Superfish. If you have a question I can post it in the thread.

Incidentally, I understand that one way to pick up Superfish or something like that--not that you'd want to--is to download something in CNET Downloads.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

After posting the above, I read that Microsoft did act last Friday. Windows Defender got a fix to shoot down Superfish. I would appreciate any advice re kryptonite to bring it down.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I use three programs:

Windows Defender (fairly good at catching viruses and stuff but not really great at spyware or stuff like that)
      Malware Bytes (Pretty good at catching most spyware and malware)
      SuperAntiSpyware (like Malware bytes but it sometimes catches things that MB misses, and vice versa)

I run Windows Defender all the time in the system tray and run Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware manually from time to time.

Comment