Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I am Ivo, hear me roar View Post
    Thanks again everyone!

I'm actually feeling somewhat better now. I'd reached a nadir when I posted the OP.

I think the main thing that's bothering me now is the intrusive thoughts. I'm aware of the standard advice not to engage them, to ignore, to just let them "blip" through my mind; however, I find it almost impossible to do that in practice. So if you could pray that I'd have some peace in that regard, I'd be very grateful.
    Some ascetics of the church recommend ignoring them; others recommend actively fighting them. Have you tried rebuking them?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Depression is REALLY hard. I've had it for years. I am praying for you. My advice is journal and even though you may have no interest in it, keep one friend you can talk to, and find one hobby you can keep. I have children so its easier said than done for me, but having a hobby is better than not having one.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks again everyone!

I'm actually feeling somewhat better now. I'd reached a nadir when I posted the OP.

I think the main thing that's bothering me now is the intrusive thoughts. I'm aware of the standard advice not to engage them, to ignore, to just let them "blip" through my mind; however, I find it almost impossible to do that in practice. So if you could pray that I'd have some peace in that regard, I'd be very grateful.
        because mine are PTSD related and biologically based too, I find that I must take medication. I will pray for peace, but never rule out a good therapist and medication if you need it. God gave researchers and Doctors wisdom to help fight a very real disease.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

For me, the trick is to not entertain those kinds of thoughts. That's not just ignoring them - it's telling myself 'that's stupid (whatever fits), time to think about something else' and picking a something else to entertain.

Whatever works, I hope you find it soon.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Have you tried rebuking them?
            Yes, but it hasn't really helped that much. I think they're more neurological than spiritual in origin.

Comment

Yes, but it hasn't really helped that much. I think they're more neurological than spiritual in origin.
              That's quite possible. Some thoughts come from without, and some thoughts come from within. Discussing them with someone you trust can help (I would discuss such thoughts with my priest at confession).
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

When bad thoughts are planted in you, then cry to God: ‘Lord, my Maker and Creator. You see that my soul is in agony from bad thoughts. Have mercy on me.’ Teach yourself to root out thoughts immediately. But when you forget and don’t root them out immediately, then offer repentance. Work on this, so that you get a habit.
                – St. Silouan the Athonite

sigpic

Comment

Comment

ing Ivo
                    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment