Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Movie Night Suggestion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Um. After the flying kitties video is over, there is a link to some kind of dance thing that has a bunch of bare butted men at around 8 minutes and 50 seconds.

fixed.
    Maybe if you try youtube videos you would want to get a youtube video downloader so naked people don't show up as the next video.

Comment

I think the company I am working at is arranging to provide licensing for churches who wish to show movies.

Comment

How about Summer Snow?
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

There apparently is no middle ground for this first suggestion--one either loves it or hates it--but the 2012 version of Les Miserables (the one with Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway) is a film that I enjoyed, and that I believe could be good to show for a church group. It is, after all, rife with allusions to God and Christianity, and edifying ones at that too--grace is a prevalent theme, and the film reaches its climax and arguable thesis with the soulful refrain "To love another person is to see the face of God!" But of course, it all comes down to whether your group enjoys the music or not. If not--well, they're uncultured Philistines, but what can you do about that?--then another option would be...

...The Blind Side. You still live in Alabama, correct? What self-respecting Alabamans wouldn't enjoy a film in which football features so prominently? Unless, that is, they're ticked at being reminded that St. Nicholas Saban was once at LSU, in which case...

...you could settle for the boring option and watch The Chronicles of Narnia.
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
            ...you could settle for the boring option and watch The Chronicles of Narnia.
            I loved the Narnia movies...
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
              There apparently is no middle ground for this first suggestion--one either loves it or hates it--but the 2012 version of Les Miserables (the one with Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway) is a film that I enjoyed, and that I believe could be good to show for a church group. It is, after all, rife with allusions to God and Christianity, and edifying ones at that too--grace is a prevalent theme, and the film reaches its climax and arguable thesis with the soulful refrain "To love another person is to see the face of God!" But of course, it all comes down to whether your group enjoys the music or not. If not--well, they're uncultured Philistines, but what can you do about that?--then another option would be...
              I don't understand the appeal of this movie, at all. I mean, aside from my distaste for musicals, the movie's just...weird*, and mostly really boring.

*I love weird, but this is boring weird. Mostly just boring.
              Last edited by Zymologist; 03-02-2015, 02:23 PM.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                I don't understand the appeal of this movie, at all. I mean, aside from my distaste for musicals, the movie's just...weird*, and mostly really boring.

*I love weird, but this is boring weird. Mostly just boring.
                Wolverine singing and killing nazi's? What's boring about that?

Comment

A friend one time had a B movie night. Some stinkers from decades past.

Black and white movie night. Watched Some like it hot (think I got the name right) and was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable the movie was.

Groucho Marx? Three Stooges? Maybe watch episodes of MASH in order.
                  No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

There ARE ways to get movies that are licensed to show to churches. ..because it's a charitable organization... right?
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      There ARE ways to get movies that are licensed to show to churches. ..because it's a charitable organization... right?
                      Yes, it's quite possible.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment