Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The four corners of the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The four corners of the world

You'll find "the four corners of the earth" a couple of times in the Bible.

Isaiah 11:12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.

Revelation 7:1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

It is possible that some people have deduced from those verses, that the Bible's purpose is geodesy, specifically the shape of the earth, and the writers must have thought the earth is flat, so much for "All scripture is given by inspiration of God..."

But of course, if the Bible is a geodesy lesson, the geodetic datums are not very consistant. '4 Corners' imply a square, or at least a rectangle. But the Bible text also includes "circle of the earth" (Isaiah 40:22)
    and a "raqiya`" of the earth (Genesis 1:14 "firmament"), presumed by flat-earthers to be a solid dome over a flat surface, a round dome according to the so-called 'Flammarion engraving'

Now I don't know how the Bible can be teaching the earth has 4 corners if its a round circular surface, or how the Bible can be teaching the earth is a flat circular disc if it has 4 corners.

Maybe, instead of focusing on the Hebrew word for 'firmament', I ought to look up "corner"

The "corners" of Isaiah 11:12 is Strongs number H3671 כָּנָף
    "kanaph"
    yeah, it includes "corner", but it also includes
    1:wing, extremity, edge, winged, border, shirt...

...and, according to that Strongs page, "kanaph" is used 108 times, mostly for 'wings/winged' (I counted over 70 , not counting "birds" "feathered fowls" "flying fowl")

It refers to garments about 16 times (skirt/borders)

in fact, the only time its used for "corners" is twice, (once for "of the earth" and once for "of the land")

Now if you want a square (or rectangular) flat earth, (forgetting the circle and round dome verses for a minute), you need the "corners" to refer to the limit/ends. But "kanaph" translates to "ends" only twice out of those 108 possibilities (Job 37:3 and Job 38:13).

A better prospect would have been "qatsah" ( קָצָה
    Strongs number H7098) which is used for "ends of the earth" 4 times, or "qetsev" ( קֶצֶו
    Strongs number H7099) "ends of the earth" 3 times

Or better yet, "'ephec" ( אֶפֶס
    Strongs number H657), which is used for "ends of the earth" 12 times and once more for "of the world", ...and "qatseh" (almost like "qatsah") קָצֶה
    Strongs number H7097 "end/ends of the earth" 17 times.

thats 39 times "end/ends of the earth",

But you know what,
    ...every one of those "earth"s is the Hebrew "'erets" ( אֶרֶץ Strongs number H776)

and, while one definition of 'erets' is "i.whole earth (as opposed to a part)" , the other definitions imply, not the whole earth,
    ...but also country, territory, district, region, tribal territory, piece of ground...,
    ...or even simply "land of Canaan, Israel"

well, you can have a flat territory, even as big as Kansas, but that does not mean the rest of the world is flat.

You can believe The Earth is flat, but don't blame the Bible for it.

...disclaimer, ok ok, I know Kansas isn't all flat, I been to the eastern half of it, especially the southeast quarter of it, not very level at all. Don't wanna make any Jayhawkers mad here.

oh, there is one more verse, in the OT, but its Aramaic, but lets look anyway, (hate to miss anything)
    Daniel 4:22 It is thou, O king, that art grown and become strong: for thy greatness is grown, and reacheth unto heaven, and thy dominion to the end of the earth.
    well, the "end" is 'cowph' (סוֹף Strongs H5491 ), but I don't think its a geodesy 'end', but more a 'end of time' end (conclusion type of end)
    ...and the "earth" here is from the Aramaic 'ara' ( אֲרַע
    Strongs number H772 )
    ...but its pretty much the same problem for flat-earthers as 'erets', that is, it isn't just the whole planet, but it can also refer to , simply, the ground.

But in this case I think Daniel was sharing prophecies about the whole planet.

Then, the other one, the one in the New Testament
    Revelation 7:1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
    ok , that "corners" is translated from the Greek γωνία (gōnia) (Strongs number G1137 )
    ...well, it could be a regular corner, just like it says, external,
    ...BUT it also could be internal corners, dividing the land into quarters, as in a possible "four quarters of the earth"

AND guess what, yup, that same Greek γωνία (gōnia) (Strongs number G1137 ) was used in:
    Revelation 20:8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog, and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.

...and "earth" in both those verses is the same , the Greek γῆ (gē) (Strongs number G1093 )
    AND it can mean "the earth as a whole"
    or it can mean "a country, land enclosed within fixed boundaries, a tract of land, territory, region" or "the main land as opposed to the sea or water" and you know, the seas are part of the planet.

sorry, flat-earthers, you can read flat-earth into those verses if you ignore the rest of the information, but that's on you, don't blame the Bible for your interpretation.

***end Part One***
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

PART 2, Citations

ok, so it looks like "four corners of the earth" does not mean literally that there are 4 actual corners at the edge of a flat world.

Here's what I think. I think its just a figure of speech...
    ...an 'ANE' thing, a way of saying 'everywhere',

I bet I got a few books on the shelf to see if this is the case. And then there's google-books which is a 'bigger shelf' than what I got. (I'll bolden the "four corners/quarters/rims)
    Source: THE ANCIENT NEAR EAST, AN ANTHOLOGY OF TEXTS James B Pritchard 1958

p 192
    ADAD-NIRARI III (810-783): EXPEDITION TO PALESTINE
    Stone Slab. From a broken stone slab found at Calah.

'Property of Adad-nirari, great king, legitimate king, king of the world, king of Assyria--a king whom Ashur, the king of the Igigi (i.e. the dei superi) had chosen (already) when he was a youngster, entrusting him with the position of a prince without rival, (a king) whose shepherding they made as agreeable to the people of Assyria as (is the smell of) the Plant of Life, (a king) whose throne they established firmly; the holy high priest (and) tireless caretaker of the temple , who keeps up the rites of the sanctuary, who acts (only) upon the trust-inspiring oracles (given) by Ashur, his lord; who has made submit to his feet the princes within the four rims of the earth; conquerng from the Siluna mountain of the Rising Sun, the countries Saban, Ellipi, Harhar, Araziash, Mesu, the (country of the) Medians, Gizilbunda in its (full) extent, the countries Munna, Persia (Parsua), Allabria, Apdadana, Na'ira with all its regions, Andiu which lies far away in the pithu of the mountains with all its regions, as far as the Great Sea of the Rising Sun (and) from the banks of the Euphrates, the country of the Hittites, Amurru-country in its full extent, Tyre, Sidon, Israel (mat Hu-um-ri), Edom, Palestine (Pa-la-as-tu), as far as the shore of the Great Sea of the Setting Sun, I made them submit all to my feet, imposing upon them tribute.'

p 207
    'I am Cyrus, king of the world, a great king, legitimate king, king of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad, king of the four rims (of the earth), son of Cambyses (Ka-am-bu-zi-ia), a great king, king of Anshan, of a family (which) always (exercised) kingship; whose rule Bel and Nebo love, whom they want as king to please their hearts.'

p 218-219
    This inscription of a remote successor of the afore-mentioned Kilamuwa was found in Zimjirli in 1891. It was set up about 730 B.C.

'I am Barrakab, the son of Panamu, kink of Sam'al, servant of Tiglath-pileser, the lord of the (four) quarters of the earth.
    Because of the righteousness of my father and my own righteousness, I was seated by my Lord Rakabel and my Lord Tiglath-pileser upon the throne of my father. The house of my father has profited more than anybody else, and I have been running at the wheel of my Lord, the king of Assyria, in the midst of mighty kings, possessors of silver and possessors of gold. I took over the house of my father and made it more prosperous that the house of one of the mighty kings. My brethren, the kings, are envious because of all the prosperity of my house...'

SOURCE (except mine is paperback and looks like this 1965 printing)

© Copyright Original Source

A Hittite king used the royal inscription also, the author attributes the title to Assyrians:

Source: THE HITTITES People of a Thousand Gods Johannes Lehmann ISBN 0670374156 p 249

page 249
    "When Hattusili's son Tudhaliya IV (ca. 1250-20 BC) ascended the throne, he inherited a large, secure and powerful empire. Although he had to conduct campaigns in the west against the Arzawans, this was an almost normal state of affairs. What was new was that the Assyrians were raiding Hittite territory on the Euphrates, but their activities had yet to constitute a major threat.
    At all events, Tudhaliya IV was the first Hittite king whose royal arms embodied a title hitherto claimed by the Assyrians alone:
    Shar kissati -- 'King of the Four Quarters'.
    Animated by these pretensions to world supremacy, Tudhaliya expanded Hattusa into the metropolis of an empire destined to vanish from the map only decades after his death.

SOURCE

But the figure of speech goes back before Assyria and Persia became "World" powers , when they were still "Sumerians, depending on which source you read, either Neo Sumerian, or Old Assyrian. C. Leonard Woolley writes

Source: THE SUMERIANS C. Leonard Woolley ISBN 0393002926

p 165
    "...From Dungi, at the end of his long and prosperous reign, Bur-Sin inherited the title "King of Ur, king of the four quarters of the earth' together with the vast empire which justified the boast, and on his accession he was admitted, as his father had been, into the pantheon of the empire's gods..."

SOURCE

the father and son kings, Dungi and Bur-Sin have since had their names re-translated as Shulgi and Amar-Sin
    A newer book updates Bur-Sin and Dungi's names:

Source: MESOPOTAMIA The Invention of the City Gwendolyn Leick ISBN 0140265740

p 18
    "...The site (Eridu) only became important again in the Early Dynastic II period (c.2500). Either a ruler of the First Dynasty of Ur or a local governor built a large palace, composed of two identical buildings side by side. Why there were two buildings remains a mystery. They were built with so-called planoconvex bricks--rectangular with rounded tops--typical of the period. The excavators suggested that whoever had resided in that palace also attended to the sanctuary on the main mound, but no traces of it remain as a result of the levelling of the site some five hundred years later, from the time when the kings of the Third Dynasty pf Ur (Ur III) turned their attention to the old shrine of Eridu. The main architect of this project was king Amar-Sin (c.2046-2038). His father had built a colossal temple precinct with a massive ziggurat at Ur and the son followed that example. Inscribed bricks proclaim that Amar-Sin 'king of the four quarters' built 'for Enki, his beloved king, his beloved Apsu'

p 93
    SARGON
    "The Akkad period begins officially with the reign of Sargon (2340-2284). Addad became the capital of a state which incorporated eventually all the Sumerian city states and extended its power further afield, if not, as the old texts claim, to the 'four corners of the world'.
    To date the beginning of this period to Sargon begs the question as to whether Lugalzagesi, who had established his sovereignty over some fifty governors in the south and thus commanded a small empire, should not be counted as part of the new age. After all, he claimed on his royal inscription that he had made all the foreign lands subservient to him, 'from the Lower Sea along the Tigris and Euphrates rivers to the Upper Sea'. The Old Babylonian scribes who edited the collections of royal inscriptions obviously thought so and included Lugalzagesi in their anthology"

SOURCE

ok, but that says "four quarters of the earth", and its not Hebrew, so how do we know the same words that are translated to "quarters" could also allow "corners":

Source: THE ANCIENT ORIENT Wolfram von Soden ISBN 0802801420

p 65-66
    "A vital source for the self-understanding of the kings of ancient Western Asia is found in the formulaic royal titles, which the kings included in their longer inscriptions. In general, purely secular titles such as "great, mighty king" stand next to others that stress the monarch's divine calling. Other titles, such as "king of the four boundaries of the world" (sometimes the four "corners of the world") found in Babylonia and Assyria, contain the claim to more extensive territories, for example, all of Mesopotamia. The formulaic titles of the petty kings are more modest, but these may also prove conclusive in many regards. Only minor indications can be given here regarding the problems of the formulaic titles in the various countries, their continuity, and their interchangeability."

SOURCE

and another book adds Babylon and Akkad kings, Hammurabi (spelled Hammurapi in the following citation) and Naram-Sin
    Source: BABYLON Joan Oates ISBN 0500020957

p 35, Figure 17
    "This marvellously modelled naked figure was found recently near Dohuk in northern Iraq. It was hollow cast in copper, technically much more difficult than bronze-casting, and weighs 160 kg. It bears a dedicatory inscription of Naram-Sin, who describes himself as 'king of the 4 quarters of the world'. The nude girdled figure resembles the bearded 'hero' common on Mesopotamian seals

p 65, 67
    "...Assyria and Eshnunna remained stubborn pockets of resistance, but the prologue to the law code makes clear Hammurapi's control of both Assur and Nineveh. Thus at the end of his reign Hammurapi claimed suzerainty over all Mesopotamia. His inscriptions show that he regarded himself as the traditional heir not only of kingship over Sumer and Akkad, but also, although he can hardly be said to have won a comparable empire, of the Agade kings. Like Naram-Sin he styled himself 'King of the Four Quarters of the World', using this title side by side with 'King of Sumer and Akkad', a practice unknown from previous periods."

SOURCE

PLATE 17 from page 35 Joan Oates' BABYLON Book:BABYLON Joan Oates Page 35.jpg

but again, "quarters", for Naram-Sin and Hammurapi (sometimes spelled Hammurabi)
    But those could just as easily have been alternately translated "corners", AND HAVE BEEN:

'Western Civilization' By Jackson Spielvogel page 9
    Naram-Sin "King of the four corners of the universe"
    SOURCE

'The Oxford History of Historical Writing: Volume 1: Beginnings to AD 600'
    edited by Andrew Feldherr, Grant Hardy page 24
    Naram-Sin "King of the four corners (of the universe)"
    SOURCE

'Early Babylonian History Down to the End of the Fourth Dynasty of Ur' Hugo Radau page 1-2
    Hammurabi "king of the four corners of the world"
    SOURCE (scroll down to page 2)

'The Sociology of Colonies: An introduction to the study of race contact. Psychology of expansion' René Maunier page 19
    Hammurabi "king of the four corners of the world"
    SOURCE

'Ancient History: A Revised Chronology, Volume 1' By Anthony Lyle page 181
    Naram-Sin "King of the four corners of the universe"
    ...and another "King of the four corners of the universe", Rimush, son of Sargon
    SOURCE for page 181
    ...and on page 159-160 Sargon is "king of the four corners of the universe" and he's also "the Royal Eye of Gopta (Copt or Egypt) and of the four ends of the earth"
    SOURCE for page 159 and SOURCE for page 160

Geography and Ethnography: Perceptions of the World in Pre-Modern Societies
    edited by Kurt A. Raaflaub, Richard J. A. Talbert
    Naram-Sin "King of the four corners of the universe" and "kings of the heaven's four corners" in Sumerian
    SOURCE
    ...and the rest of the kings of Sumer and Akkad identified as "kings of the four corners of the universe"
    SOURCE

I think its safe to say that that figure of speech has interchangeable translations, whether in OT Bible Hebrew, or in the rest of the ANE languages.

...And, the figure of speech is not just used for Royal Titles on the inscriptions of kings of Sumer and Akkad and Hatti and Assyria, Babylon, and Persia, but also was used for activities/actions or describing objectives:

Source: Historical Dictionary of Mesopotamia By Gwendolyn Leick

page 150
    SARGON OF AKKAD (REIGNED C. 2340-2284 B.C.). King and founder of the Akkadian Dynasty. Sargon became the subject of a variety of cuneiform texts in which he is generally portrayed as an exemplary ruler. He was descrbed as destined by the gods (especially Ishtar) to conquer the "four corners of the universe" and as presiding over peace and prosperity. Some of these accounts also credit him with a mysterious birth (by a priestess) and a miraculous Moses-like rescue from abandonment in a basket in the river."
    SOURCE

and a report drawn up by Pharoah Rameses III of Egypt's Twentieth Dynasty defending Egypt against the 'Sea Peoples', specifically the 'Pelethi'

Source: THE PHOENICIANS The Purple Empire of the Ancient World Gerhard Herm ISBN 0688029086

p 61-62
    "At Pelusium, a port at the most easterly point of the mouth of the Nile, two battles of great historical significance took place. In 525 BC the Persian King Cambyses defeated King Psammetichus II, thus eliminating Egypt from the ranks of independent states. Six hundred and twenty-four years previously, in 1,149 BC, Rameses III had been able to defend this gateway successfully against the hordes of the Sea Peoples. It was the first serious setback to which the Pelethi were subjected. 'No land can withstand their weapons,' said a report on his opponents which the Pharoah had drawn up: 'they laid their hands on all the lands to the four corners of the earth. Their hearts were full of confidence and the assurance that "Our plans will succeed".' But this time at least they did not succeed. Rameses' troops were 'like bulls in the battlefield; his horses like falcons in the midst of little birds'. Egyptian war chariots, the magic weapon copied from the Hyksos, tore through the ranks of the Pelethi; infantry stormed their barricades of wagons; women and children, who were crowded up among the fighting men, were slaughtered like the Cimbri and Teutoni who at a later date attacked the Roman legions with boulders. The tall warriors from the north with their plumed helmuts and round shields succumbed to the small but better organized Egyptians."
    SOURCE

so even the Egyptians used that figure of speech,
    ...not the Persian "Pharoahs", but earlier, before Egypt was conquered by Cambyses.
    Last edited by jordanriver; 03-03-2015, 10:27 AM.
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

We still use that figure of speech today.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
        You'll find "the four corners of the earth" a couple of times in the Bible.
        I bet you say "sunrise" and "sunset", even though neither of those events ever actually occur. It's a lot easier, however, than saying "that point in time at which the earth has rotated sufficiently so that the sun becomes visible (or is no longer visible) over the horizon......"
        Last edited by Cow Poke; 03-04-2015, 06:20 AM. Reason: I meant horison, not equator :smile:
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I bet you say "sunrise" and "sunset", even though neither of those events ever actually occur. It's a lot easier, however, than saying "that point in time at which the earth has rotated sufficiently so that the sun becomes visible (or is no longer visible) over the equator......"
          And I have heard those scientifically inaccurate terms even in this modern day.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            And I have heard those scientifically inaccurate terms even in this modern day.
            Just about every morning when I watch the news and weather guessers, they address the issue of those false labels, but state them as fact. Even tell you to the minute what time they will occur.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just about every morning when I watch the news and weather guessers, they address the issue of those false labels, but state them as fact. Even tell you to the minute what time they will occur.
              well, that's the way they've been trained in the Earth Sciences, that the sun moves around the Earth:

Source: Earth Science and the Environment By Graham Thompson, Jon Turk ISBN 0495112879

page 480
              "The rising Sun warms the land or water surface which, in turn, warms the low-lying air"

SOURCE Google Books and SOURCE Amazon

and

Source: The Facts on File Dictionary of Earth Science (Science Dictionary)Jacqueline Smith (Editor) ISBN 0816060002

"...Alpine--Himalayan chain at sunrise on mountain tops facing the rising Sun but is less common..."

my goodness, even Bill Nye the Science Guy believes its the Sun that moves across the sky
              (at 6:35 in Bill Nye's THE SUN)

Comment

Figure Of SPEECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
                Yeesh. It's just easier to say than literally describing what happens!
                WHY are you acting like a ????
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
                  well, that's the way they've been trained in the Earth Sciences, that the sun moves around the Earth:

Source: Earth Science and the Environment By Graham Thompson, Jon Turk ISBN 0495112879

page 480
                  "The rising Sun warms the land or water surface which, in turn, warms the low-lying air"

and

Source: The Facts on File Dictionary of Earth Science (Science Dictionary)Jacqueline Smith (Editor) ISBN 0816060002

"...Alpine--Himalayan chain at sunrise on mountain tops facing the rising Sun but is less common..."

my goodness, even Bill Nye the Science Guy believes its the Sun that moves across the sky
                  (at 6:35 in Bill Nye's THE SUN)

EGGzackly --- And THEY fully comprehend it's a FIGURE OF SPEECH, Genius!

Comment

His responses are due to what was said in another thread about the Bible teaches a flat earth. He's needling them, not you.

Comment

Was JR absent the day/week they taught figures of speech? Or perceptional language???

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        His responses are due to what was said in another thread about the Bible teaches a flat earth. He's needling them, not you.
                        He's still trying too hard. The rebuttal to the claims is as simple as pointing out that the Bible is using a figure of speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          He's still trying too hard. The rebuttal to the claims is as simple as pointing out that the Bible is using a figure of speech.
                          Not that simple because they will say that the people who wrote it really believed that the earth was flat, and covered by a solid dome(despite all the problems this would cause in the texts).

Comment

I believe the rule is,
                            When they use it, its a figure of speech,...
                            ...because they're smart scientists.

But if we use it its literal because we believe The Bible is God's Word, which makes us 'not very bright'

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Not that simple because they will say that the people who wrote it really believed that the earth was flat, and covered by a solid dome(despite all the problems this would cause in the texts).
                              Well, those guys are wooden literalist idiots!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X