Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The four corners of the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
    I believe the rule is,
    When they use it, its a figure of speech,...
    ...because they're smart scientists.

But if we use it its literal because we believe The Bible is God's Word, which makes us 'not very bright'
    Methinks you should have used sarcasm tags.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Well, those guys are wooden literalist idiots!
      That's there exactly what they accuse us of.

Comment

He's still trying too hard. The rebuttal to the claims is as simple as pointing out that the Bible is using a figure of speech.
        I just want to shut them down once and for.
        I want to close ALL exits.

...but most of all, I just want a simple link to cite (posts 1 and 2) the next time another one of these moles pops their head up out their holes again, ...to whack 'em
        To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Methinks you should have used sarcasm tags.
          Where them?
          To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            That's there exactly what they accuse us of.
            Have they been lookin' in the mirror again??? That's... just...
            Hoe on EARTH could some one think that four corners of the earth refers to a flat earth when we still use that phrase! i don't even...
            Last edited by Christianbookworm; 03-04-2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Where them?
              [sarcasm ]Like this[/sarcasm] But with out the space.

Comment

[sarcasm ]Like this[/sarcasm] But with out the space.
                Thanks.
                I'll need them.
                ...a lot

Comment

Where them?
                  Like quote tags, but with sarcasm between the brackets.

Comment

Every one knows it's turtles all the way down.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      His responses are due to what was said in another thread about the Bible teaches a flat earth. He's needling them, not you.
                      I kinda wondered.... thanks Brum.

My apologies, Jordan -- I THOUGHT you had more sense than that!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I kinda wondered.... thanks Brum.

My apologies, Jordan -- I THOUGHT you had more sense than that!
                        They might not even ever notice it since 90% of them seem to post in Nat. Sci. 301 all* the time.

ETA: *Okay most of the time anyway.

Comment

Figure Of SPEECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Yeesh. It's just easier to say than literally describing what happens!
                          WHY are you acting like a ????
                          I think that is pretty much the point of the whole discussion.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            I think that is pretty much the point of the whole discussion.
                            What? That there are people out there that won't accept that explanation, so we have to come up with more explanations?

Comment

well to play devil's advocate, it is likely that the figure of speech "four corners of the earth" came from the bible. That doesn't mean it WAS a figure of speech in the bible. Kinda like "the writing on the wall" is a figure of speech but it comes from the book of Daniel chapter 5. We get a lot of figures of speech from the bible

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                well to play devil's advocate, it is likely that the figure of speech "four corners of the earth" came from the bible. That doesn't mean it WAS a figure of speech in the bible. Kinda like "the writing on the wall" is a figure of speech but it comes from the book of Daniel chapter 5. We get a lot of figures of speech from the bible
                                If you read the OP, it shows that this expression comes much earlier than that. Also, to take it in a wooden literal sense conflicts with many other quotations from the Bible, such as the ones with "circle of the earth" in them.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X