Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The four corners of the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    If you read the OP, it shows that this expression comes much earlier than that. Also, to take it in a wooden literal sense conflicts with many other quotations from the Bible, such as the ones with "circle of the earth" in them.
    well that doesn't mean it was a figure of speech though. they might have really thought that. I was just saying that just because something is a figure of speech now, doesn't mean it was a figure of speech long ago.

(four corners could also just refer to the 4 directions, North, South, East and West)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      well that doesn't mean it was a figure of speech though. they might have really thought that. I was just saying that just because something is a figure of speech now, doesn't mean it was a figure of speech long ago.
      Yeah, but IIRC some of the society's mentioned did not have a square/rectangular earth in their cosmologies. It doesn't fit as descriptive of the one skeptics say the Bible teaches either. They claim a 3 tier cosmology, with a solid dome in the sky, and a round(ish) island to make up the middle.

(four corners could also just refer to the 4 directions, North, South, East and West)
      That's the typical understanding anyway.

Comment

hence, the necessity for the extensive information of POST 1 (and how easy it is to just post a link to post 1 instead of explaining all over again each time one of the anti-Bible skeptics bring it up , again and again and again and again)
        so , even if it wasn't just a figure of speech when the Hebrew who penned it , under the inspiration of the Spirit of God, how do we know he was thinking of literal external corners. "Corners" , after, was used only twice out the 108 times 'kanaph' appeared in the Bible.
        ....and as far as 'external' "ends" was only used twice as a translation for 'kanaph' , out of the approximately 40 times the English word "end/ends" was used.

we can ask, "what were they thinking???", but in this case, we really don't know, ...too many other ways 'kanaph' could have been used.

..and even if they were thinking 'edge' corners, were the corners external, ...or internal, like the inner corners of a globe shaped melon when you cut it into four quarters , and POST 2 shows how interchangeable "corners" and "quarters" were used for English translations of the same ANE words.
        For example, the NIV translates 'kanaph' to the English word "quarters" for Isaiah 11:12
        Last edited by jordanriver; 03-04-2015, 02:47 PM.
        To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I kinda wondered.... thanks Brum.

My apologies, Jordan -- I THOUGHT you had more sense than that!
          don't give it a second thought,
          I know there's a good chance of getting dinged with a little friendly fire in a hot zone like tweb.
          To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

well to play devil's advocate, it is likely that the figure of speech "four corners of the earth" came from the bible. That doesn't mean it WAS a figure of speech in the bible. Kinda like "the writing on the wall" is a figure of speech but it comes from the book of Daniel chapter 5. We get a lot of figures of speech from the bible
            Since the the actual source is God it does not matter if the first readers saw it as a figure of speech or not. Unless we claim that God made a mistake it was a figure of speech in the Bible.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I may gets some criticism for this comment. But I believe that the Ancient Israelites did believe in a flat earth/three-tier cosmology. From the Genesis creation onwards we see numerous accounts of this, I feel it's how we view it with the Biblical Inerrancy and Inspiration in mind, my belief is we shouldn't think that it is a book that provides science accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHat View Post
                I may gets some criticism for this comment. But I believe that the Ancient Israelites did believe in a flat earth/three-tier cosmology. From the Genesis creation onwards we see numerous accounts of this, I feel it's how we view it with the Biblical Inerrancy and Inspiration in mind, my belief is we shouldn't think that it is a book that provides science accuracy.
                A 3 tier cosmology wasn't suspended above nothing. Oh, and the argument isn't that some ancient Israelites didn't believe that, but that the Bible doesn't teach it. That's a pretty big difference.

Oh, and you say there are "numerous accounts" of this, you need to at least say where they are.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHat View Post
                  As I said back in March;
                  Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Since the the actual source is God it does not matter if the first readers saw it as a figure of speech or not. Unless we claim that God made a mistake it was a figure of speech in the Bible.
                  It makes no difference what the Ancient Israelites actually believed. Your interpretation suggests that the Bible is not actually inspired, or that God made a mistake.

The Bible is not a science book, but what God inspired is accurate.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The four sides of earth or soil. One wonders if the Israelites were the first to have goatees, by trimming the sides of theirs beards. Nasserites were supposed to where supposed to also trim their hair. It is funny how the greeks copied Sampson by having long hair and drinking Juice, which was the opposite of Nasserite tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      If you read the OP, it shows that this expression comes much earlier than that. Also, to take it in a wooden literal sense conflicts with many other quotations from the Bible, such as the ones with "circle of the earth" in them.

Just one question. How can the "circle of the earth" have four corners.

Yup. I'm back. For a bit any way.
                      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by moreta View Post
                        Just one question. How can the "circle of the earth" have four corners.

Yup. I'm back. For a bit any way.
                        It can't, which is my point. Oh, and

Comment

back atcha!!!

(Hoping I remember my BB codes.
                          Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Comment

Four corners probably refers to the 4 directions: North, South, East and West.

Comment

Four corners probably refers to the 4 directions: North, South, East and West.
                              Yup, this was covered before this zombie thread was brought back to life.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X