Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Just Callin to say Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Callin to say Thanks

So, as I mentioned in another thread in this forum, my Pastor has been my Pastor for over 40 years. Sometimes we lived in different states, and only a few years were we in the same Church. But he's still my Pastor.

I've often said that every Christian needs a Paul, and every Christian needs to be a Paul to a Timothy. (2 Tim 2:2) He's my Paul.

Anyway, as I began to serve as Youth Minister, then College Minister, and various other ministry positions - I would often find myself in trouble, or facing a situation I didn't know how to handle, or getting my widdle feewins hurt, and needing some encouragement.

I would call my Pastor, and lay out the situation, and hope he had answers, or direction, or "something".

About 1995, I was in a Church that truly was "in Revival". God was blessing, things were going exceptionally well -- we had baptized FIFTY people over the summer, most of whom did not grow up in Church. This is when "the Biker Dude" (another thread in this forum) showed up. Franklin Graham was coming to town for a Crusade (though they don't call them that anymore) and his advance team asked to use my Church to teach the Christian Life & Witness Course to folks who would serve as counselors in the Crusade. Our Church was full that week, and we had overflow crowd in our fellowship hall watching by CCTV. Things were good.

Out of the blue, my wife asked me one evening, "when was the last time you talked to Pastor Robby?"

It hit me like a ton of bricks. I mean - it became PAINFULLY obvious to me in an instant -- I ONLY call him when I'm in trouble! I NEVER call just to say hi, or to thank him for his guidance all these years. When he picks up the phone, and I'm on the other end, it's "work" for him. It was too late that night to call him, as he was in another time zone, but the very next day, I called.

I said, "I just wanted to let you know that things are going great, and I'm not in trouble, and I don't need anything". He laughed, and we had a great conversation where I thanked him for all he had done for me.

When we hung up, I just sat in my office and thought about that for a while. And it dawned on me --- we do the same thing to God. So many times we "call Him up" to tattle on somebody, or ask for something, or whine about life.... but how many times do we "call Him up" just to say thank you, and to tell Him we love Him.

So... is there anybody in your life you need to call and just say thanks?

And, do you need to have that talk with God?

When my youngest daughter was little, she was a real "Daddy's girl". (she still is ) She used to crawl up on my lap when I was in my recliner, and put her little arms around my neck, and say "Daddy, I love you". I would growl, "oh YEAH, what do you WANT". And she would giggle, "I don't want anything, Daddy --- I just want to tell you I love you".

I think about that often, as I do the same thing to my Heavenly Father.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Amen to this message CP! I'm glad you posted it.
    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Pastor Robby has pancreatic cancer. He is still active, and being treated, but is finally "looking old", and frail.

My wife and I went to visit him a few months ago, and had a GREAT time remembering "the good old days".

I see his wife posting pictures on Facebook, and it saddens me that his time on earth appears to be coming to a close.

Then I rejoice -- "absent from the body is present with the Lord".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X