Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christian behavior in debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian behavior in debate

Ok, Bill, it's a new thread, so now it's on topic.

Originally posted by Bill the Cat
    But he is dotingly following a con-man in a manner consistent with systematic brainwashing.
    If 7up leaves Mormonism, then he can tell us whether "brainwashing" is an accurate term to apply to his experiences in it or not. Regardless, how is calling him an idiot going to help?

If he were actively proselytizing your child despite your repeated attempts to correct him, would you not defend your child from him and his heresies?
    Of course. But I wouldn't have to call him an idiot, or any other insulting name, in order to do so. In fact, I would go to great lengths not to, because I want to set a good example for my daughter and teach her to love everyone, even her enemies.

He is ardently propagating doctrines that will lead the unsuspecting astray from the good news of the Jesus of the Bible into the damnation of the Jesus of Joseph Smith.
    I understand the importance of correcting false doctrine. But the way in which we do it matters as well. As my pastor puts it, we need both truth and love. And if we argue for truth without being kind, people will notice it and many of them will be persuaded that Christianity is false. You can win the battle for right doctrine but still lose the war for salvation and the glory of God.

Jesus had pretty harsh words to say about those who led people from God toward a god of their own making, didn't He? And are we not to imitate Paul as He imitates Christ (1 Cor 11:1)? If Christ Jesus considered it acceptable to defend the weak in faith from the doctrines of devils with shaming words, then I think that I'll imitate Him in the same manner where I see a necessity. And I see a necessity here.
    Jesus is God, and he has a right to speak to his creation harshly if he sees a need to. The people he spoke the harshest to were the Pharisees and religious leaders, IMO because they had the greatest responsibility for doing the right thing and teaching others correctly. 7up, from what I understand from his testimony, was raised in a nominally Christian home, became an atheist and then converted to Mormonism. He wasn't exactly raised with spiritual truth and teaching the way the Pharisees, the leaders of God's chosen people, were supposed to have been.

As for following Christ, you're basing your actions on how he treated a specific group of people and letting that trump his and the Holy Spirit's clear instructions to the church on how to treat unbelievers:

Source: ESV

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. (Lk 6:35)

And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. (2 Tim 2:24-25)

Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. (1 Pet 3:14-16)

© Copyright Original Source

Titus 1:10-14 talks about rebuking false teachers sharply, but from what I can tell it's talking about false teachers that arise within the church, not people outside the church.

I reported the other thread so we could continue in a split thread. This is not the proper sub-forum for that discussion.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

New thread in the ethics subforum

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X