Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Binge Watching old TV shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binge Watching old TV shows

I have been binge watching Adam-12. I love watching the background of the show (set 1967-75) seeing the old prices of food, gas, etc. - looking at the old cars, and wondering how the heck the police could do their jobs without computers, walkie-talkies or bullet-proof vests. They had to look up info in card files and paper records, stop to make phone calls (even asking to use someone's phone at a crime scene) and they had these huge flak jackets for vests that they kept in their trunk (too bulky to wear all the time) - They did have two way radios in the car however.

And in one of the episodes they had to get the bomb squad to diffuse a bomb. The bomb squad was wearing suits and ties and had no protection whatsoever.

And the people treated cops as bad as they do now. The hippies and teens going around vandalizing things, calling the police "pigs" and trying to kill them. After one such episode, Reed asks Malloy "I wonder how things will be in 10 or 15 years?" and Malloy answers "Hopefully better than today"

Yeah right. They had no clue at all did they?

1337163517_1.jpg

--
    Next up on my list are "Emergency" and "Dragnet"

Lol. I do the same thing with Emergency! No gloves! O the humanity!
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      Lol. I do the same thing with Emergency! No gloves! O the humanity!
      Yeah and they drive around a rescue truck with no place to put patients, instead of an ambulance. They have to call in an ambulance separately, and they are usually station wagons (like on Ghost busters!) and they have to call the hospital on a suitcase sized radio.

Oh did you notice that the Emergency Squad is the same number as on Chicago Fire? 51. I wonder if that is a nod to Emergency?

Comment

Yup, I watched the entire series on Netflix IN ORDER with no commercials.....

It's really interesting to see how they try to incorporate the then-popular hippie culture, 60's dress, and language.

It's also fun to watch it in ORDER, because there are often references to previous incidents that you "don't get" unless you've seen the prior episodes.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think one of my favorite things, though, is that I can watch it with my wife, knowing there's not cussing and vulgarity.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If you'll notice --- MOST of the Adam 12 episodes start off with the female dispatcher announcing a 211 in progress, 1 Adam 12 handle code 3 --- and Adam 12 roar off with sirens blaring to.... to.......

she never gave an address!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yup, I watched the entire series on Netflix IN ORDER with no commercials.....

It's really interesting to see how they try to incorporate the then-popular hippie culture, 60's dress, and language.

It's also fun to watch it in ORDER, because there are often references to previous incidents that you "don't get" unless you've seen the prior episodes.
              Yeah the hippies. Did you notice that whenever they went into some drug parlor or party, they always had the same "groovy" song playing?

And they used revolvers!

And what was up with Malloy's right arm? He always held it at an angle in front of him. At first I thought it was because the gun was in the way, but he even does it when he is dressed in civvies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Yeah the hippies. Did you notice that whenever they went into some drug parlor or party, they always had the same "groovy" song playing?

And they used revolvers!
                Compare the revolvers they used in the earlier shows to the ones they used in, say, season 4 or later.

Jack Webb was insistent that they use the same equipment as the Los Angeles Police Department - right down to authentic badges. The badges were actually delivered to the set each morning, and taken back to the PD after filming.

And what was up with Malloy's right arm? He always held it at an angle in front of him. At first I thought it was because the gun was in the way, but he even does it when he is dressed in civvies.
                Never noticed the "red fox" arm problem.

Comment

And the female dispatcher's voice -- they auditioned for that part, and actually used one of the dispatchers (I think from North Hollywood, IIRC) who actually shows up in one of the shows, disguised in a wig for some reason, as a data terminal operator.

Comment

and they always held their pistols single handed, at their waist like in a cowboy movie.

Comment

and they always held their pistols single handed, at their waist like in a cowboy movie.
                      Yeah, and in later eposides they use those goofy clam-shell holsters, where they draw their weapon, then run after a bad guy with this big flap of leather bounding around on their right hip --- it would be SO EASY to get that caught in the bushes, or climbing over a fence, or whatever.

clamshell.jpg

Comment

Probably the only thing I've "binge watched" in a long time would be Darkwing Duck.

I've only gotten a little into Season 2 though. I kind of hate how the episode plots are all out of order chronologically.

Anyone else who watches it notice how it feels a bit more like Looney Tunes style than Disney?

Comment

Oh did you notice that the Emergency Squad is the same number as on Chicago Fire? 51. I wonder if that is a nod to Emergency?
                          I watched only one or two of that show, but I did find an article saying yes, that's a tribute to Emergency. The article was about the outside shot of Station 51, which in some way they also honored on CF.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

... there seemed to a little more general respect in small cases.. I'm Sure there was Alot not shown on tv though
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

We binge watched Lost. And I am in the process of watching House. If you can call once a week "binge watching"...........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment