Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Immutability of God.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immutability of God.

I believe in the immutability of God. Here I am going to argue against it.

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." -- Genesis1:1.

This being understood to be an ex nihilo creation.

God never creating anything, then after never creating anything, this God acts and creates everything.
    God went from not being the Creator to becoming the Creator. A change which negates any real claim to immutability.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Why would one assume that God never created anything before this universe? We might just be the current stage of an endless sequence of creation.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post

God never creating anything, then after never creating anything, this God acts and creates everything.
      God went from not being the Creator to becoming the Creator. A change which negates any real claim to immutability.

There are many possible beginnings in God's Creation. This only refers one beginning. Ultimately all of existence may be without a beginning.

Change can a part of God's Creation and not God.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

If we are assuming that time is one of the things which was created ex nihilo, then it is not the case that "after never creating anything, this God acts and creates everything." Of course, that opens up the question, "How could God have created something which was literally never non-existent?" Still, if we can ignore this further problem for the sake of the question in the OP, then there was literally never a time when God was not a Creator, and therefore no mutation.
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          Why would one assume that God never created anything before this universe? We might just be the current stage of an endless sequence of creation.
          Then there would be no first creation. Then this God would have to be both mutable and immutable. Why would he not then be both? Or only be a mutable deity.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
            If we are assuming that time is one of the things which was created ex nihilo, then it is not the case that "after never creating anything, this God acts and creates everything." Of course, that opens up the question, "How could God have created something which was literally never non-existent?" Still, if we can ignore this further problem for the sake of the question in the OP, then there was literally never a time when God was not a Creator, and therefore no mutation.
            A creation takes the act of a creator. An action is a type of change/mutability.

Comment

I think people are referring more to God's moral character and abilities never changing.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                I think people are referring more to God's moral character and abilities never changing.
                Yes. If God were immutable in the sense 37818 means, then he would be unable to act or do anything. He would just be some eternal statue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Yes. If God were immutable in the sense 37818 means, then he would be unable to act or do anything. He would just be some eternal statue.
                  There actually are quite a number of people who assert that God is timeless and immutable in exactly that sense. That is, in fact, the understanding of Classical Theology.

William Lane Craig departs from this view by asserting that God was timeless until the creation of Time, at which point God entered time and became a tensed being. Personally, I feel that this is completely incoherent, but it is the position which Craig has espoused.
                  "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                  --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

My experience is more often that people retreat to this view once they feel the broader version of immutability is no longer tenable.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Moved: Immutability of God

But that doesn't make any sense! Though, good luck trying to understand a Being that doesn't have human psychology.

Comment

What's the orthodox view? Or is this some deep philosophical stuff we just got ourselves into? Because I don't really know what is meant by saying God is immutable.

Comment

What's the orthodox view? Or is this some deep philosophical stuff we just got ourselves into? Because I don't really know what is meant by saying God is immutable.
                          Immutable in that God does not change. Malachi 3:6, "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed." He is fully trustworthy (Titus 1:2).

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Yeah, an immutable God in such a limited sense would not even matter. Truth is immutable or it would not be truth. Change, is subordinate to truth which is immutable. Without change, or the possibility of change omnipotence is effectively meaningless.

Comment

Immutable in that God does not change. Malachi 3:6, "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed." He is fully trustworthy (Titus 1:2).
                              So, what's the problem? Creating something doesn't change God.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X