Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Immutability of God.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Moved: Immutability of God

But that doesn't make any sense! Though, good luck trying to understand a Being that doesn't have human psychology.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What's the orthodox view? Or is this some deep philosophical stuff we just got ourselves into? Because I don't really know what is meant by saying God is immutable.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    What's the orthodox view? Or is this some deep philosophical stuff we just got ourselves into? Because I don't really know what is meant by saying God is immutable.
    Immutable in that God does not change. Malachi 3:6, "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed." He is fully trustworthy (Titus 1:2).
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yes. If God were immutable in the sense 37818 means, then he would be unable to act or do anything. He would just be some eternal statue.
    Yeah, an immutable God in such a limited sense would not even matter. Truth is immutable or it would not be truth. Change, is subordinate to truth which is immutable. Without change, or the possibility of change omnipotence is effectively meaningless.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Immutable in that God does not change. Malachi 3:6, "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed." He is fully trustworthy (Titus 1:2).
    So, what's the problem? Creating something doesn't change God.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
    William Lane Craig departs from this view by asserting that God was timeless until the creation of Time, at which point God entered time and became a tensed being. Personally, I feel that this is completely incoherent, but it is the position which Craig has espoused.
    I think it becomes much more understandable when you realize that it is probably due to the fact that Craig holds to the A-theory of time and not the B-theory.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I think it becomes much more understandable when you realize that it is probably due to the fact that Craig holds to the A-theory of time and not the B-theory.
    Could you explain the difference between those two time theories?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Could you explain the difference between those two time theories?
    I'm not confident I'm going to be able to explain them properly to you, so I'll just link you to some wiki-articles instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-theory_of_time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal...sophy_of_time) (a B-theory model of time)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentism_(philosophy) (an A-theory model of time, and the one which I think WLC holds to, although I could be wrong.)

There are other models on both theories, but I think these are the most representative.

40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Moderated By: DesertBerean

Moved to Unorthodox Theology. This discussion is more about Christian views of God than debate between theists and non theists.*

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

10. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, what's the problem? Creating something doesn't change God.
    Creation requires an act of creation. Acts are a type of change which brings about change. Change is mutability. Immutability and mutability are opposites. So there must also have been in some way mutability co-eternal with God or there would not have been any creation.