Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Immutability of God.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    yeah. it does sound like mormonism, except they believe God is an actual human who was elevated to Godhood on another planet and their are many Gods.
    True. I'm just noting some of the "on-the-face-of-it" similarities.

Matter however, is eternal in their theology and God did not create it. Just manipulates it.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      Doing something does not change the nature of the one doing that something.

Now if the only nature one has is immutability. There can be no change, no action, it is static. So God's nature is not limited to immutability. There has to be another nature with God. Now how you what to define that is at issue.
      You indicated you are a baptist once. Have you taken your ideas about God's nature to your pastor and see what he thinks?

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Doing something does not change the nature of the one doing that something.

Now if the only nature one has is immutability. There can be no change, no action, it is static. So God's nature is not limited to immutability. There has to be another nature with God. Now how you want to define that is at issue.
        That makes no sense. Is an attribute somehow the entire nature???
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          That makes no sense. Is an attribute somehow the entire nature???
          I could be wrong, but I think he was trying to say "If the only nature one has is immutable", not "if the only nature one has is immutability". It's the only way I can make sense of the sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            yeah. it does sound like mormonism, except they believe God is an actual human who was elevated to Godhood on another planet and their are many Gods. Matter however, is eternal in their theology and God did not create it. Just manipulates it.
            But someone from another planet would be an alien! Even if they look human. Add some superpowers to the mix to!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              I could be wrong, but I think he was trying to say "If the only nature one has is immutable", not "if the only nature one has is immutability". It's the only way I can make sense of the sentence.
              No. I think Christianbookworm has it right. Let me re-translate:

"Doing something does not change the nature of the one doing that something." (what he's saying here is that Jesus doing something in his temporary and/or human nature would not affect his divine nature)

"Now if the only nature one has is immutability. There can be no change, no action, it is static." (If one only had a divine, ie. immutable nature, one would not be able to change or act. They would be static)

"So God's nature is not limited to immutability." (So the Son was not/is not strictly immutable)

"There has to be another nature with God. Now how you want to define that is at issue." (QED, Jesus had a second, non-immutable nature before his incarnation, along side his immutable nature)

Comment

How does being immutable equate to not being able to act? God is omnipotent, meaning He has the ability to actualize any logical possibility He wills to happen. So, can He or can't He act or think?

Comment

How does being immutable equate to not being able to act? God is omnipotent, meaning He has the ability to actualize any logical possibility He wills to happen. So, can He or can't He act or think?
                  He believes that only the second member of the trinity, Jesus, had the ability to actualize any logical possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    "Now if the only nature one has is immutability. There can be no change, no action, it is static." (If one only had a divine, ie. immutable nature, one would not be able to change or act. They would be static)
                    That's pretty much what I said.

Saying that one's only nature is immutable isn't the same thing as saying that someone's only nature is immutability.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      That's pretty much what I said.

Saying that one's only nature is immutable isn't the same thing as saying that someone's only nature is immutability.
                      Ah. Sorry. I misunderstood your phrasing. I think its because you're using the word "nature" in two different ways. In the first way you mean "nature" as in one's essence, and in the second way you mean "nature" as in one's characteristics.

Comment

Ah. Sorry. I misunderstood your phrasing. I think its because you're using the word "nature" in two different ways. In the first way you mean "nature" as in one's essence, and in the second way you mean "nature" as in one's characteristics.
                        Yeah, I could probably have phrased it less ambigiously.

Comment

He believes that only the second member of the trinity, Jesus, had the ability to actualize any logical possibility.
                          What about the Holy Spirit? Does he think the Holy Spirit is Jesus??? That's modalism. So, of the divine attributes(holiness, omnipotent, omniscient, ect.), which do which Persons have?

Comment

What about the Holy Spirit? Does he think the Holy Spirit is Jesus??? That's modalism. So, of the divine attributes(holiness, omnipotent, omniscient, ect.), which do which Persons have?
                            No. Other than the fact that he has a super-strict concept of immutability, and that he believes that Jesus had two pre-incarnate natures rather than one, his views are more or less orthodox as far as I can tell (although his view on infinity is a bit bizarre in my opinion).

Comment

No. Other than the fact that he has a super-strict concept of immutability, and that he believes that Jesus had two pre-incarnate natures rather than one, his views are more or less orthodox as far as I can tell (although his view on infinity is a bit bizarre in my opinion).
                              I was just wondering how he explains the Holy Spirit doing stuff like convicting people and performing miracles through the apostles.

Comment

I was just wondering how he explains the Holy Spirit doing stuff like convicting people and performing miracles through the apostles.
                                Oh, good point. I have no idea.

Comment