Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What kind of clothing should Christians wear when in public?

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I can find a grand total of one place where the Bible instructs anyone to dress "modestly." It is applied only to women, and it is defined as the opposite of fancy ostentatious clothing and hair ornamentation.

If Scripture is our guide, God doesn't care whether women choose to wear bikinis or men choose to go shirtless, but he might possibly care if the clothes we *do* wear are ostentatious and potentially demeaning to those of lower economic ranks.

"Modesty" is mostly cultural.
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

2. Amen stfoskey15 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    On 1 Cor. 11, Payne has material (PDF) available online here and here.
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Faith
    Agnostic/Weak Polytheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Edited by a Moderator

This forum is for Christians only.
    Last edited by Jedidiah; 07-25-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Lens, I sent you a Personal Message about this, but Biblical Ethics is among those fora that are limited to Christians only. Check your PMs.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I believe God does care if attractive women with shapely bodies wear tiny bikinis to be a stumbling block for married men. But they may not purposely do it just for married men you might say. It doesn't matter, only those with a certain relationship with Christ will understand that modesty in this sense means knowing you, by the worlds standards are hot, men will no doubt admire you, even the man to whom this is a real internal struggle between him and God and wants to be even mentally pure for his wife and before God. Therefore, that is enough that you cover up those attributes that you've gotten compliments on because modesty begins with the internal self and ones relationship with Christ.

And I hear the objection of well he doesn't have to look but if the woman raises that objection than her relationship to Christ is different than mine. My brothers in Christ are more important to me than showing off my body for appreciation. That is vanity and once I know that, I am without excuse.
    Last edited by princesa; 08-06-2016 at 12:15 AM.

7. Amen Jedidiah, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I like to wear overstuffed cargo shorts, held up by goofy industrial-strength suspenders, accompanied by a T-shirt with either a smart-aleck saying (e.g. "Sarcasm: Just another service I provide") or something intellectually elitist that disparages other people's shortcomings (e.g. "There and their -- They're not the same").

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Pondering this further... Some have opined that it is immodest or a sign of vanity for athletically-built men to go about shirtless. Does the same hold if they wear "tank tops" to show off their "guns"? What about sleeveless T-shirts?

At the other end of the spectrum, what about fatties who wear big. blousy clothing to obscure their unsightly bulges? Are they also showing "vanity" in trying to portray themselves as less Jabba-the-Huttish? (Personally, I dress mostly for comfort and convenience, and don't worry about the flopping folds of flab.)
    Last edited by NorrinRadd; 08-06-2016 at 05:10 AM.