Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What kind of clothing should Christians wear when in public?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of clothing should Christians wear when in public?

This is a topic that really isn't that clear to me.

Say that you are going to the beach. Should a male be wearing just a boxer shorts or pants leaving his entire top uncovered? Should a female wear just a bikini?
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Modest.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Another issue we don't think of is simple/fancy. Roger Olson argues that it is a sin to buy clothing because of a designer name. I don't know if I'd go that far though.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Modest.
        What's modest though, Teal? Could a bikini/boxer shorts be modest?
        Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
        Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Another issue we don't think of is simple/fancy. Roger Olson argues that it is a sin to buy clothing because of a designer name. I don't know if I'd go that far though.
          True. Though I think that a bit of fancy clothing (such as a beautiful dress) isn't much of a bad thing. It's when it gets excessive and show-offy that it becomes a problem.
          Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

This thread is going to end up being opinion based in the end,so does it really matter?
            And If I'm going to the beach and I'm going for a swim, I'm taking my shirt off.
            "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
            "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
            Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
              And If I'm going to the beach and I'm going for a swim, I'm taking my shirt off.
              And contextually, I don't think anybody reasonably would consider a topless male at the pool or beach to be immodest.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I admit I enjoy seeing bikinis. I nonetheless do not see them as modest by any stretch, and they should not be worn in public. Prudish? That is me.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  I admit I enjoy seeing bikinis. I nonetheless do not see them as modest by any stretch, and they should not be worn in public. Prudish? That is me.
                  But, a bikini is More modest than no clothing....

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Some are more modest than others. Those with spaghetti strings attached to a couple of postage stamps for a top and a thong (what we used to call "fanny flossers" when they were first introduced) for a bottom are by no stretch of the imagination modest.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      But, a bikini is More modest than no clothing....
                      http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...m-and-Clothing

Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

I am not reading that! It's too long!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          (what we used to call "fanny flossers" when they were first introduced)

now-thats.jpg
                          "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                          Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Back in the day the women wore does onesies right?

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                              What's modest though, Teal? Could a bikini/boxer shorts be modest?
                              Could, yes. But seriously, why would you wear basically your undies if not to titilate or at least excite a response? Modesty has as much to do with intent as yardage.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X