Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What kind of clothing should Christians wear when in public?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=KingsGambit;188485I only meant it as an example of how some of Paul's references are somewhat creative in nature[/quote]
    It remains to be shown if his references to the OT is 'creative' in the sense you suggest.

http://classics.mit.edu/Epictetus/di...s.3.three.html

In Epictetus's quote, at least, the lines between nature and nurture seem to be blurred somewhat.
    Noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
      This is a topic that really isn't that clear to me.

Say that you are going to the beach. Should a male be wearing just a boxer shorts or pants leaving his entire top uncovered? Should a female wear just a bikini?
      The Bible says that we should dress modestly. That means do not dress like the world dresses...with worldly values in mind. Dress with Biblical values in mind.
      There are four types of giving in the Bible:

1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Kott View Post
        The Bible says that we should dress modestly. That means do not dress like the world dresses...with worldly values in mind. Dress with Biblical values in mind.

Yes!!! Thank you, Mr.Kott.

I make sure I dress biblically, and so should others.

This is what I wear:

POLYFOAM-high-quality-cartoon-mascot-costume-holly-bible-mascot-costumes-book-mascot-costumes.jp.jpg

Comment

I call a serious thread necro. Oh good grief. I wear what is in my closet. Which is maternity clothes right now.........
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You know what? I agree with Mr. Kott's post.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I can find a grand total of one place where the Bible instructs anyone to dress "modestly." It is applied only to women, and it is defined as the opposite of fancy ostentatious clothing and hair ornamentation.

If Scripture is our guide, God doesn't care whether women choose to wear bikinis or men choose to go shirtless, but he might possibly care if the clothes we *do* wear are ostentatious and potentially demeaning to those of lower economic ranks.

"Modesty" is mostly cultural.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

On 1 Cor. 11, Payne has material (PDF) available online here and here.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Edited by a Moderator

This forum is for Christians only.
                  Last edited by Jedidiah; 07-25-2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Lens, I sent you a Personal Message about this, but Biblical Ethics is among those fora that are limited to Christians only. Check your PMs.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I believe God does care if attractive women with shapely bodies wear tiny bikinis to be a stumbling block for married men. But they may not purposely do it just for married men you might say. It doesn't matter, only those with a certain relationship with Christ will understand that modesty in this sense means knowing you, by the worlds standards are hot, men will no doubt admire you, even the man to whom this is a real internal struggle between him and God and wants to be even mentally pure for his wife and before God. Therefore, that is enough that you cover up those attributes that you've gotten compliments on because modesty begins with the internal self and ones relationship with Christ.

And I hear the objection of well he doesn't have to look but if the woman raises that objection than her relationship to Christ is different than mine. My brothers in Christ are more important to me than showing off my body for appreciation. That is vanity and once I know that, I am without excuse.
                      Last edited by princesa; 08-05-2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I like to wear overstuffed cargo shorts, held up by goofy industrial-strength suspenders, accompanied by a T-shirt with either a smart-aleck saying (e.g. "Sarcasm: Just another service I provide") or something intellectually elitist that disparages other people's shortcomings (e.g. "There and their -- They're not the same").

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Pondering this further... Some have opined that it is immodest or a sign of vanity for athletically-built men to go about shirtless. Does the same hold if they wear "tank tops" to show off their "guns"? What about sleeveless T-shirts?

At the other end of the spectrum, what about fatties who wear big. blousy clothing to obscure their unsightly bulges? Are they also showing "vanity" in trying to portray themselves as less Jabba-the-Huttish? (Personally, I dress mostly for comfort and convenience, and don't worry about the flopping folds of flab.)
                          Last edited by NorrinRadd; 08-06-2016, 12:10 AM.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X