Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impending Minimum Wage hike causing restaurants to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    That sounds like a terrible idea. Wasn't that the system that the British held? Seems to me that if you pay taxes, you ought to have a voice. "No taxation without representation" and all that.
    I don't see his statement going against that. It seems to be saying "unless you are being taxed, no representation". Why should someone not being taxed get to decide about the tax levels of those who are being taxed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      I don't see his statement going against that. It seems to be saying "unless you are being taxed, no representation". Why should someone not being taxed get to decide about the tax levels of those who are being taxed?
      Non-land owners may not have to pay property tax, but they're still getting taxed in other ways. You also think that non-land owners shouldn't have the right to vote?

Comment

• All legal citizens 18 or older, unless convicted of a felony are able and should be able to vote. If you start limiting who can and can't vote by how much they know, or pay in taxes, or some other arbitrary system, pretty soon the whole system falls apart. People will find a way to exclude various segments of the population because they don't like their views.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          All legal citizens 18 or older, unless convicted of a felony are able and should be able to vote. If you start limiting who can and can't vote by how much they know, or pay in taxes, or some other arbitrary system, pretty soon the whole system falls apart. People will find a way to exclude various segments of the population because they don't like their views.
          You say that like it's a bad thing.

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            You say that like it's a bad thing.

Our system of government is the best there is. Sure it has flaws, but it's better than anything else out there.

Comment

Our system of government is the best there is. Sure it has flaws, but it's better than anything else out there.
              It was just a joke. I felt that this thread just needed some life--posting's been a bit dry in here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                It was just a joke. I felt that this thread just needed some life--posting's been a bit dry in here.
                vote nazi.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5057[/ATTACH]
                  Awwwww. Do I hafta?

Comment

Non-land owners may not have to pay property tax, but they're still getting taxed in other ways. You also think that non-land owners shouldn't have the right to vote?
                    I didn't say I agreed with him. I just said I didn't read it the way you did.

ETA: My question was specifically in response to "no taxation without representation". Going by that, should those without taxation get representation?
                    Last edited by Cerebrum123; 03-31-2015, 10:19 AM.

Comment

That sounds like a terrible idea. Wasn't that the system that the British held? Seems to me that if you pay taxes, you ought to have a voice. "No taxation without representation" and all that.
                      Yes, and people who don't own property or are not gainfully employed don't pay taxes.

So basically, you agree with me.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Yes, and people who don't own property or are not gainfully employed don't pay taxes.

So basically, you agree with me.
                        You can't think of any other way one might end up having to pay taxes outside of owning property and being gainfully employed?

Comment

All legal citizens 18 or older, unless convicted of a felony are able and should be able to vote. If you start limiting who can and can't vote by how much they know, or pay in taxes, or some other arbitrary system, pretty soon the whole system falls apart. People will find a way to exclude various segments of the population because they don't like their views.
                          So why limit it to 18-years old? Why shouldn't my 6-year old daughter be allowed to vote? Because according to you, "If you start limiting who can and can't vote by how much they know, or pay in taxes, or some other arbitrary system, pretty soon the whole system falls apart."

Isn't an age restriction just as arbitrary as anything else? Afterall, the legal limit used to be 21 until it was lowered to 18 in 1971.

Comment

You can't think of any other way one might end up having to pay taxes outside of owning property and being gainfully employed?
                            I suppose you're thinking of sales tax, but if you're not working for your money -- for instance, you're getting a government handout, or your parents give you an allowance -- then are you really being taxed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              So why limit it to 18-years old? Why shouldn't my 6-year old daughter be allowed to vote? Because according to you, "If you start limiting who can and can't vote by how much they know, or pay in taxes, or some other arbitrary system, pretty soon the whole system falls apart."

Isn't an age restriction just as arbitrary as anything else? Afterall, the legal limit used to be 21 until it was lowered to 18 in 1971.
                              Because if someone is old enough to fight for their country, the least the country can do is let them vote.

Age restriction isn't arbitrary.

Comment

Because if someone is old enough to fight for their country, the least the country can do is let them vote.

Age restriction isn't arbitrary.
                                Why isn't it arbitrary? Simply declaring that it isn't doesn't answer my questions.

Restricting voting to only those who pay taxes isn't arbitrary, either. And for that matter, people as young as 14 can hold down a job and pay taxes, so why shouldn't 14-year olds be allowed to vote, if an age restriction isn't arbitrary?

Comment