Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Lack of Enthusiasm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by footwasher View Post
    PS Denying yourself isn't hanging up your brain on the hat rack when you enter the church...
    Neither is "being of one mind".

[2Co 13:11 KJV] 11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

[Phl 1:27 KJV] 27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

[Phl 2:2 KJV] 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind.

[1Pe 3:8 KJV] 8 Finally, [be ye] all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, [be] pitiful, [be] courteous:
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Neither is "being of one mind".

[2Co 13:11 KJV] 11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

[Phl 1:27 KJV] 27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

[Phl 2:2 KJV] 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind.

[1Pe 3:8 KJV] 8 Finally, [be ye] all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, [be] pitiful, [be] courteous:
      You mean "Being of one mind" is...

Yo' losin' it, CP...

Comment

You mean "Being of one mind" is...
        No, I meant EXACTLY what I said.

When you make a goofy statement like...

Denying yourself isn't hanging up your brain on the hat rack when you enter the church..

Just insert

Being of one mind isn't hanging up your brain on the hat rack when you enter the church..

Yo' losin' it, CP...
        Yo' lost it long ago, FW.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This is where you see the herd mentality at work, the desire to preserve the status quo, not rock the boat, unreasoning loyalty to a dominant group's view:

Acts 17:5But the Jews, becoming jealous and taking along some wicked men from the market place, formed a mob and set the city in an uproar; and attacking the house of Jason, they were seeking to bring them out to the people. 6When they did not find them, they began dragging Jason and some brethren before the city authorities, shouting, “These men who have upset the world have come here also;

This is where you see the fair treatment of a presentation of the truth, because in the sending of Christ, God revealed the hidden truths of the old covenant and provided the Lamb for the sacrifice, as prophesied by Abraham, a fair treatment that manifests the image of God, because in God is manifested all that which is noble, justice, mercy and love:

Acts 17:11Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

Hear and introspect
          Listen and reflect
          Review and check against Scripture

Not exactly the herd mentality you assert.

That would be the wolf pack at Thessalonika.

PS Denying yourself isn't hanging up your brain on the hat rack when you enter the church...
          The collectivist societies of the world would like a word with you about calling it a 'herd mentality.'
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

When I'm in an unfamiliar town I look for a church with liturgy. (Lutheran, Anglican, Methodist) So While I may disagree with the congregation, I know the liturgy will be uniform and gospel will be presented as well as communion and the creed will be present. I do not need to be distracted by politics and I can hear God's word being spoken.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig;
              The collectivist societies of the world would like a word with you about calling it a 'herd mentality.'

John 1:17For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

See what happens when the mysteries of Scripture are unlocked:

Luke 24:25And He said to them, “O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26“Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?” 27Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

28And they approached the village where they were going, and He acted as though He were going farther. 29But they urged Him, saying, “Stay with us, for it is getting toward evening, and the day is now nearly over.” So He went in to stay with them. 30When He had reclined at the table with them, He took the bread and blessed it, and breaking it, He began giving it to them. 31Then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him; and He vanished from their sight. 32They said to one another, “Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?” 33And they got up that very hour and returned to Jerusalem, and found gathered together the eleven and those who were with them, 34saying, “The Lord has really risen and has appeared to Simon.” 35They began to relate their experiences on the road and how He was recognized by them in the breaking of the bread.

Comment

No, I meant EXACTLY what I said.

When you make a goofy statement like...

Denying yourself isn't hanging up your brain on the hat rack when you enter the church..

Just insert

Being of one mind isn't hanging up your brain on the hat rack when you enter the church..

Yo' lost it long ago, FW.

How can you be of one mind if you are not using it?

Christians have the mind of Christ and through it they can access spiritual truths that are not within the reach of unsaved persons. But they are lazy and immature and refuse to use that mind.

Think it can't happen? Think again:

1 Corinthians 2:14The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 15The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, 16for,

“Who has known the mind of the Lord
                so as to instruct him?”
                But we have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 3:1Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans? 4For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings?

5What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

After all, what is Augustine, Luther, Calvin, MacArthur, Piper, Wright, only servants, who provided the first stepping stones. Now you must use gold, silver, precious stones, the mind of Christ to mature.

Comment

How can you be of one mind if you are not using it?
                  Why don't you take that up with Apostle Paul if you should ever meet him?

Comment

Why don't you take that up
                    with Apostle Paul if you should ever meet him?
                    Did. This is what he says:

1 Corinthians 3:2I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.

They were hanging on to second hand knowledge, Paul, Appolos, Luther, Carson. They were not learning from the Holy Spirit dwelling in their midst, gold and silver and precious stones,

Comment

Why don't you take that up with Apostle Paul if you should ever meet him?
                      Did. This is what he says:
                      Why does it not surprise me that you think you actually met Apostle Paul?

Comment

Why does it not surprise me that you think you actually met Apostle Paul?
                        Whoever has his name written in the book of life, even if he dies does not die. Is not God the God of the living and not of the dead?

John 11:25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies,

Luke 20:28So he is the God of the living, not the dead, for they are all alive to him."

Chee, I thought you knew all this.

Comment

Whoever has his name written in the book of life, even if he dies does not die. Is not God the God of the living and not of the dead?

John 11:25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies,

Luke 20:28So he is the God of the living, not the dead, for they are all alive to him."

Chee, I thought you knew all this.
                          I'm beginning to question your sanity.

Comment

I'm beginning to question your sanity.
                            You should get up to speed. Then we can move ahead. Try reading up stuff on the Judaism websites about the Book of Life.

Comment

You should get up to speed.
                              Maybe you should stop taking speed.

Comment

Maybe you should stop taking speed.
                                And start on the tranquilisers you feed your flock?

;-)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X